Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

sourcing gear ratios

Where do you buy the modified gear ratios for a 930 box from.
I'm looking at gearing mine down for the track.
Thanks
Alan
Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I bought mine from Guard Transmission. Paul is very knowledgeable and good to deal with.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do you have a contact e mail , I'm in New Zealand.
Thanks
Alan
Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Found them (Google) - thanks.
Alan
Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Glad you found it... wasn't checking the forum for the last few days; too busy
Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Would be nice if someone made these just a little bit cheaper!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
I bought mine from Guard Transmission. Paul is very knowledgeable and good to deal with.
Gears on the way - and guess what - he is a Kiwi. Got married in a small church about 20 mins from my place (New Zealand).
Damm small world.
Alan
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokher racing View Post
Here Here!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokher racing View Post
I agree - but we would all like everything cheaper? The reality is they are a sophisticated piece of one-off engineering. As an amateur lathe and milling dabbler, I have a vague notion of what is required to fabricate such a precision piece of gear and the price does not surprise me, as much as I would like to pay less.
I did find one source that was marginally cheaper (by about $100), but I'm not sure if they come complete with the synchro dogs - which the Guard ones do.
Alan
Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
What are they asking for gears these days ? I have about 40 sets many are factory lightwieght gears . Just curious.

Also , in New Zealand my old tech David Taylor is back there and has lots of parts and may have 930 gears for future refrence. I will post his web site on Monday for you .
Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, around $800 per pair - seems to depend a bit on which gears.
I have not heard od David - but if he has lots of 930 bits - would definitely like to meet him. We may become good mates. I seem to need lots of bits, and the thing has hardly gone anywhere. The more I look, the more bits I need.
Regards
Alan
Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Alan ,
I just found Davids web site . He astually has the two cars he help me build on his web site. Both cars had 7 pg spreads in Excellence and though I have seen a lot of marginal cars make the pages of many a auto publication both cars he did for me were 10s .

This 70 chassis had a full cage and full carbon fiber body with a 3.6 that was started by a friend of mine that I bought and finished

Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
This is the twin turbo car David helped me build . We used a 930 short bellhousing box that we had flipped Northwest Machine. David was in the States for a while but has been back in NZ for about three years

Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Cool cars - very cool.
Where do I find Davids website?
Alan
Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
http://www.motorsport-services.com/index.php
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Ahhh, they are the big name in NZ motorsport at the moment.
That could be useful. Thanks.
Alan
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage

I remember seeing this car in Excellence. Not long after it was for sale on the S-Car-Go web site. What happened to it?
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I remember seeing this car in Excellence. Not long after it was for sale on the S-Car-Go web site. What happened to it?[/QUOTE]

I bought it from my friends MJ and finished the details and some odds and ends but have since sold the car. The fit and finish is unreal as are the mechanicals. I was going to put my spare 3.6 motec twin turbo motor in it but even the norm asp 3.6 moved this car fast enough that it would spank a stock turbo.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Just ordered new 2 - 4 gears for my 930 from Guard. Mike was exceptionally helpful.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I spoke with Mike last week too. He was great and very knoweledgeable over the phone.
Don't have the money yet to order the gears, I need to donate a kidney this weekend and then we will talk bizniz. How many kidney's you need to survive anyway?
Seriously though, which gears (ratios) did you go with? Do you mind telling us for reference?
I am putting together a spreadsheet to see what speeds versus rpm I will see with my stock R&P gear based upon the ratios Mike said were available. I need to decide on the gears I want but if I could see what others did as a guide that would help alot to make my decision.
You are running stock R&P then?
Let us know the final impressions once you take the car out for a drive, I am interested in seeing what you think of the changes.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-11-2008, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: