Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Manassas, VA

Garage
Exclamation Warning to 930 and 965 Owners

Turbo owners beware. My 1991 965 was smoking under the left rear fender when I got home. I pulled off the appropriate wheel and found a large puddle of Mobile 1 under the turbo scavenging pump. I wiped off the oil but I could not see the source of the leak. I started the engine and let it get hot, with no leakage. I was beginning to wonder how that was possible until I shut off the engine.
The oil came pouring out from under the oil pipe leading to the turbo scavenging pump. Silly me, there is a vacuum in that line so I was sucking air until I shut down. I had to pull the oil pipe to see the damage. Many years of rubbing on the heat shield had worn a hole in the underside of the copper pipe. This is a $200+ repair and it should have been prevented by moving the pipe gently up off the exhaust pipe heat shield.

Please check your cars to see if you have daylight between the oil pipe and the heat shield.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Thanks for the heads up Mark, I'll have to go take a look at my 1992. I don't think I have the heat shields anymore though...

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think I would have had to braze or solder that leak before I came outta pocket for an OE replacement line. As you said, it's not under pressure....

Heck, maybe a rubber hose/sleve and 2 hose clamps would last forever once you bent it up off the heat shield.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good post...which is why my car wears this, I made this line at home and for a few other 930 owners as well, parts cost is around $70

Yasin
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I noticed that tight spot when I had my engine out. Bent a relief in the heat shield to get it away from the oil line.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
I went and looked, and since I have the B&B headers with heat, my line has already been changed...

Bill

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
930 Rookie

Nice catch. My previous owner just replaced in December but I will take a look at the clearance.

Current: 1982 Platinum Metallic 930, stock (P-CarOnline.com) / www.Type930.com
Former: 1989 Glacier Silver 944 "S3", 1987 Guards Red 924 S
Also in the family: 1992 Polar Silver 968 Cab, stock
Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Not to hijack, but Yasin, do you have a picture of the AN fitting at the intercooler for the WG line?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yasin...

+1 on BSiple's comment..

I would also like to see that connection.. can you tell us also what sizes you used and were there any adapters or all metric thread?

Did you also do the line that runs around the back of the motor from the oil tank to the pump?

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up both pump lines as mentioned as well as lines to the waste gate. Going with braided stainless.

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Thumbs up Warning...

Yasin,
Your engine is very pretty indeed! Mine is completely stock. I told my wife that I could fire up the torch and apply some silver solder and the pipe would be as good as new. Maybe she saw some of my previous work, but in any case she said "Hey, that looks like a critical part, you need a new one; here is the checkbook."

Yahoo!

Mark
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Me like track days

Yep, the Slow&Rusty wa is the right way to do it -
Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSiple View Post
Not to hijack, but Yasin, do you have a picture of the AN fitting at the intercooler for the WG line?
I actually have the fitting installed in the intake manifold not the intercooler. I am running a one-off 3/4 bay intercooler and so did my reference at the intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Yasin...

+1 on BSiple's comment..

I would also like to see that connection.. can you tell us also what sizes you used and were there any adapters or all metric thread?

Did you also do the line that runs around the back of the motor from the oil tank to the pump?

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up both pump lines as mentioned as well as lines to the waste gate. Going with braided stainless.

P-
Yes all my lines are braided. All my fittings are metric. Line size off the accumulator is -8, I cannot remember all the Earls Parts numbers, but if you need it, i will research and let you know. I have really good short term memory and when I do not need, boom..its purged and I forget stuff! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Yasin,
Your engine is very pretty indeed! Mine is completely stock. I told my wife that I could fire up the torch and apply some silver solder and the pipe would be as good as new. Maybe she saw some of my previous work, but in any case she said "Hey, that looks like a critical part, you need a new one; here is the checkbook."

Yahoo!

Mark
Mark - My engine is "OK" I guess, I have cleaned it up as I have worked on it here and there. There are alot more detailed and aesthetically pleasing engines out there - for sure. If I have to remove a certain part, it gets cleaned, maybe polished or powder coated for example.

Regards - Yasin
Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Yes all my lines are braided. All my fittings are metric. Line size off the accumulator is -8, I cannot remember all the Earls Parts numbers, but if you need it, i will research and let you know. I have really good short term memory and when I do not need, boom..its purged and I forget stuff! LOL

Mark - My engine is "OK" I guess, I have cleaned it up as I have worked on it here and there. There are alot more detailed and aesthetically pleasing engines out there - for sure. If I have to remove a certain part, it gets cleaned, maybe polished or powder coated for example.

Regards - Yasin
Yasin,

Yes I do need the sizes so if you get time to check into it I'd appreciate it. I'm in the process of cleaning-up the engine bay, replacing all the old hard & brittle hoses and lines. Have decided to use braided, and it always slows me down when I'm figuring out the size conversions or adapters and fittings! If I can pick someone else's brain that's great.. so thanks in advance!

This is one of those typical "while you're end there" deals.. the swap to braided lines and silicone replacements for some was planned.. but the powder coating, swap of IC and polishing of the unit, and general purdy-ing-up of everything is the extra... and probably the fault of you guys here on this board! So there...

Thanks,

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yasin im about to have my engine out and would like to do this as well so as paul said if you got time to give us the sizes and maybe where you bought those hoses i would really appreciate it.

JERRY

1991 964 Turbo
2005 955 Cayenne
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

OK guys give me a few days. I am actually away from home right now for a few days and will get back with some answers to you on the hoses and respective part numbers.

BTW, you can purchase the Earls hoses and all the fittings from Summit Racing.
www.summitracing.com

My best - Yasin
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wait a minute Yasin.. Away from home... Carnival already?
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 01-25-2008 at 07:05 AM..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Wait a minute Yasin.. Away from home... Carnival already?
LOL...good one and quick draw there McGraw! Carnival in Trinidad in a few weeks...wish I could go! I would be making braided steel lines for you guys in between the Calypso, rum & cokes and all the scanty fun!

Yasin
Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
LOL...good one and quick draw there McGraw! Carnival in Trinidad in a few weeks...wish I could go! I would be making braided steel lines for you guys in between the Calypso, rum & cokes and all the scanty fun!

Yasin
Always a good time there.. haven't been in a number of years. Several friends here in the DC are area continue to try to get me to join them.. has been a time issue the last couple of years. Unfortunately for me!
Hell, I'm even missing out on www.Cavallino.com this year in Palm Beach!

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to have to get under there and see if I have this issue....
Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

lucittm, I already got that problem with my girlfriend.... guess its time for a new one...
Bad@ss find on that pipe though. Yasin has the right idea with the A/N line though- I think the adapter is m10 or M12-1.25/-8 AN. This is cheaper than a new pipe from the Stealership
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: