Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New type of BOV (Synapse Engineering)

Anyone used one of these. Looks very interesting. Seems to work much better than a diaphragm type.

http://www.synapseengineering.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU5Y6d9rh1k&feature=related
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC

Last edited by nreed; 01-26-2008 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: added info in title
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Here is what you should consider instead.

Last edited by copbait73; 01-27-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The valve looks pretty crappy, but I still laugh every time I see that second one!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
The Ricers buy their BOV based on the sound they make, no kidding. I had heard of the Duck calls but never actually heard what one sounds like, thanx for that!! I have a Tial 50MM and it works great, although after a while the "Whoosh" can get irritating. I can't imagine living with that Duck call for more than 5 milliseconds.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

OMG...the "duck call" was/is hilarious! Combine that little charmer with the zork and the freaking military would come knockin' on my door!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Oh, that sooo cool! They invented the BOV! Buy it!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have heard good things about those. I have a 50mm tial on my Porsche, and run two 50mm tials on my cobra. I am a tial fan... they work well bottom line.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Guys I can first hand tell you that the Synapse Engineering valve is NOT a piece of crap and is actually a well engineering and built piece. This blow off valve is capable of much more finess and tuning that any other valve on the market, and has the ability to actually tune a car in a much different manner than your typical diverter valves.

I've been working with one this past week actually trying to tune out a sensitivity issue here on a track dedicated Evo with DV-initiated bucking during throttle modulation at high rpms and I can tell you there's about 20 different ways to plumb it in to make it react in all sorts of applications.

I'm actually using this valve right now as a wastegate AND a diverter valve simultaneously, that's right a wastegate and blow of valve at once,...............controlling the boost pressure(25psi) by bleeding off boost pressure at the charge pipe rather than using wastegate control. The turbocharger wastegate is set at ~29psi...which allows the turbocharger to operate at it's max efficiency while the SE diverter valve regulates the boost pressure at 24psi to the motor for the proper tuning. Show me another DV that can do this..........

I will say it is quite large in overall size and will be rather difficult to retrofit into a 930/965 in the stock location without some major modifications. It can be set up as an atmospheric dump or recirculatory style valve, and they have retrofit flanges available to bolt the valve up to just about any existing DV flange style, including the TIAL flange.

This valve reacts faster than any other DV I've ever used and is top notch in quality even compared to the Tial units. and being a pull type, lap valve style DV, it can't leak with boost pressure. Boost pressure only forces it closed to seal tighter, unlike 99% of the other valve out there(HKS SSQV the 1%).
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Adam...I'm glad you are getting good results. It looks very good to me and I think I'll buy one.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreed View Post
Thanks Adam...I'm glad you are getting good results. It looks very good to me and I think I'll buy one.
You won't be disappointed. For the price(I ordered this one on the Evo for $187 through my connection) it can't be beat. Like I said the only issue you may run into is just space if you try to fit it in the stock location. The kit comes with a stainless steel weld on flange to weld to a 2.25" charge pipe, and it also comes with the recirculatory fitting that mounts in the dump end, which allows you to connect a hose to route the discharge back to the intake. They do offer other other flanges including an aluminum weld on flange. All seem to run around an additional $20-25 pending where you buy it.

IMO until something better comes out this will be the valve I buy for my own cars, and recommend to all my customers I'm impressed by the 8 page patent and have been working directly with the company owner(Peter) in this unorthodox Evo system here I'm developing.

Just FYI, the valve measures roughly 3" in diameter and is about 6.5-7" long with the recirc fitting attached.

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 01-25-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: added sizes
Old 01-25-2008, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
In the video, the valve doesn't seem to react as quickly as my 50mm Tial and it doesn't look like it would flow as much. I guess I'd have to see one in person.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
You won't be disappointed. For the price(I ordered this one on the Evo for $187 through my connection) it can't be beat. Like I said the only issue you may run into is just space if you try to fit it in the stock location. The kit comes with a stainless steel weld on flange to weld to a 2.25" charge pipe, and it also comes with the recirculatory fitting that mounts in the dump end, which allows you to connect a hose to route the discharge back to the intake. They do offer other other flanges including an aluminum weld on flange. All seem to run around an additional $20-25 pending where you buy it.

IMO until something better comes out this will be the valve I buy for my own cars, and recommend to all my customers I'm impressed by the 8 page patent and have been working directly with the company owner(Peter) in this unorthodox Evo system here I'm developing.

Just FYI, the valve measures roughly 3" in diameter and is about 6.5-7" long with the recirc fitting attached.

187 for which one? I am confused the duck call one? I can't stand the sound of mine but they are the best options out there(tial 50mm about 200 bucks) all the rest get to noisy.

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Ben,

My original post included a Youtube video of the Synapse valve. It "does not" make a duck call noise. It seems to have a better response than the Tial. We are trying to learn on this forum and it might be a good idea not to discourage by ridiculing a new idea. Remember not so long ago people thought the Earth was flat until a new idea came along.

Kindest regards
Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
187 for which one? I am confused the duck call one? I can't stand the sound of mine but they are the best options out there(tial 50mm about 200 bucks) all the rest get to noisy.

$187 for the Syncronic. I have no idea what valve those idiots are using to attach a duck call to. The Tial units don't have half the adjustability that this valve does. Don't get me wrong the Tial's are very nice and up until I had first hand experience with the valve from Synapse I thought the Tials were the cream of the crop. Nothing wrong with Tial valves, just making a statement on the Syncronic based on my own use and experience with them against pretty much every other valve out there, including some old retro SARD stuff.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Adam,

Thanks for all the helpful facts and figures from your experience. I know you are busy building your car but when you get a chance please post some pictures if you can. Your project sounds very interesting.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hello,
I have a Tial, but this valve looks very interesting to me if I were in the market. When I was shopping for BOV before, I ran across all the other BOV's and they were described as a loud "Honk". It was obvious that the advertiser thought this was a huge selling point. I always wondered what that was until now. I never bought one because I didn't think my 930 should HONK!! Glad I didn't buy one during the rebuild. I built my car by borrowing the corner of a friend of mines shop. This was a "Chevy" shop. When I fired up my 930, if it had started "Honking" I never would have heard the end of it. Whew, dodged a Bullet on that one!! Thanx TIAL!! The TIAL "Whoooosh" does sound less "Girly Man"!!

Les

p.s. if it Quacks like a duck, closely examine the walk!!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

Wait a sec. This vents to atmosphere? You don't want it for CIS if it does.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
In a MAP sensor system you can recirculate the discharge between the air filter and compressor.

In a MAF system you can recirculate between the MAF and compressor.

In a MAF system where the turbocharger is blowing though the MAF you can install the BOV anywhere between the compressor discharge and the MAF. In this scenario you don't have to recirculate the BOV discharge but should filter the discharge.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Folks, the Syanapse valve does not make that quacking noise. It's a muted "rush" of air type of noise. That video of the quacking duck valve has nothing to do with the Syncronic valve at all.

Second, the Syncronic valve can be setup to either dump atmospherically OR to recirculate back into the intake track, your choice. On cars that are MAF/MAS equipped, Synapse offers a unique check valve dump setup that allows you to vent atmospherically and have no effect on idle or rich running during shifts. this check valve allows free flowing discharge to vent easily but keeps the valve from ingesting air post MAF/MAS which would affect the idle fuel trim of the vehicle. Again, just another option this valve has over the others out there.

Syncronic can hold ANY amount of boost you want to run and still react just as fast as low low boost. They're leak tested to 115psi before leaving the factory. Tial can't do that. Couple diesels in the area running running over 60lbs of boost with these valves and still the same spring that you'd run at 5psi so the valves actuation speed and sensitivity are unchanged.

Worth the money, don't know how much better I can word it

-adam
Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreed View Post
Ben,

My original post included a Youtube video of the Synapse valve. It "does not" make a duck call noise. It seems to have a better response than the Tial. We are trying to learn on this forum and it might be a good idea not to discourage by ridiculing a new idea. Remember not so long ago people thought the Earth was flat until a new idea came along.

Kindest regards

No disrespect was meant not sure how you thought that.

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 01-26-2008, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: