Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone know about Pat Williams Racing conversion

New to this portion of the site, sorry if this has been discussed before. I am considering purchasing a 87 930. Car will have a PPI done and if it is OK, probably pull the trigger. I see the mods that most of the folks have (exhaust, wastegate, intercooler, cams, etc.). Do any of you know about how well the PWR injection system conversion works. I saw the article in Excellence a while back and it sounded pretty good. Do you think it would be worth the money, are the factory injection parts (CIS stuff) getting hard to find? Just wondering?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
CIS parts are readily available from all the EFI conversion going on lol. On a more serious note CIS can be made to be quite livable, I have spoken to Pat on a few ocassions and he has a good path to EFI.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I just looked at the site, looks good, but only installed by them or another shop.. DYI is out of the question
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
He has an excellent reputation.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Pat does great work.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pat is bad @$$, but I would never let anyone else touch my car so he is out of the question.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Yeah, but ECU tuning (especially the ignition timing) is not something I would tackle myself.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had Pat go thru my motor (split cases, new studs, higher compresssion pistions, cams, headwork, turbo, modified headers, custom muffler work, intercooler and ofcourse EFI) a few years ago.. I was one of his first customers for his EFI system, so he was still "tweaking" the fuel maps. To date I have put about 14k miles on the setup since the work was completed and have not had any issues. The car rips! I would highly recommend.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
How much HP are you aiming for? Is it your first 911? Do you know it? Does it have your favorite colors. Are you tracking it. What ever you decide there is a right way to do it. It will certainly be a lot of fun. Who has serviced the car (is there a service history)? Are you planning on driving it for a while, or immediately after the PPI taking it to make it a first class race car.

If the latter, yes they would make it schweet.

The gearing has also been mentioned here as very effective with the 4-speed, but this only increases an easily escalating budget.

Good luck.

Regards,
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have made parts for Pat before for some wicked small displacement turbo cars. I'd love to have him work his magic on my c4 and would not hesitate to let him do so :-)
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Still thinking about the 930.

Thanks for all the input. If I purchase the 87 930 it will be the second one I have owned. I had a 88 that had a K27, B&B exhaust, upgraded cams (SC I think) and crank fire ignition. Wish I had not sold it now, had some personal reasons to sell. The one I am looking at is Carmine red (different than guards red, nice color, but different? Tan and black interior. 55k with top end rebuild @46k. K27 turbo only mod on car. I will be street driving 80%, tracking 20%. This forum is great for mod ideas. EFI would be down the road a bit. As the car is not a special version, would like to lighten it up a bunch with RSR bumpers.

I have had modified 914-6's (love the sound of the high revving 2.7's - HP nothing like you guys have though), and am undecided on what to buy. 914-6, early 911 RS clone, 930, or Cayman S (I know how most of you all feel about the Cayman). I like the speed of the 930 so I am leaning that way. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: