Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by e p slick View Post
...All this said I believe that with minimal guidance and practice anyone, even a Frenchman, could weld very very nicely, be proud of their effort and have a strong reliable weld....
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Well I teach welding and also own a business that is exclusive to stainless steel. welding and fabricating.

For the poor mans fix you should be fine for non structural welds using flux core. To do it nice you could use 308L or 316L filler wire(spooled wire for your mig) and a TRI-mix sheilding gas.. Or really step up to the plate and by a max star (MILLER Brand) 140-150 TIG/Stick machine which weighs about 10lbs and is portable for about a grand.. The next step up would by a lincoln v205 or an ESAB 161 heliarc(model) or dynasty 200dx (MILLER) all of which are 2K..

Or you could simple buy the premade 930 waste gate dumps out of stainless for about $60 bucks and be done with it

Lots of arm chair racers and welders out there so you are best off getting advise from a welding forum such as Merv suggest's.. No offense that are hobbist's just very easy to spread mis information.

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

You guys are a trip!!!
This is something I really want to learn how to do so I plan to just keep practicing until I get the nickel look down. The welding forums are awesome, but not very helpful in specifically how to set the knobs on a Lincoln 140. But, never say die.
As for the boost leaking, you might want to check the WG spring... regardless of what is downstream, the WG should hold the pressure. Perhaps the spring is getting tired and not able to snap closed as quick as it should. the funny thing about mine is that after I removed the WG muffler, my gauge is showing .8 instead of .7 bar. So mine did the exact opposite. I am sure a dynamicist could explain that the spring can now react quicker with the lessening of back pressure on the WG but unfortunately the guy that I used to ask no longer works for me. Bench racing is what makes this forum fun.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Remember

Take this advice with a grain of salt....
I'm your basic bench racer home hobbyist welder, I have a Lincoln 175 which is similar to yours.
You should treat yourself to a small tank of 75% Argon 25% CO2 shielding gas which will be fine for most steels, it will run you around $100 at the local welding shop and will make your welds look a lot nicer and probably stronger too, you'll be surprised how long a small tank will last.
I recently welded some fairly thin stainless on an exhaust clamp, I bought a small roll of 308LSI .23" (.6mm) gas shielded wire and used the standard 75/25 gas, I didn't break for the special tri mix Helium / Argon / CO2, the welds turned out really nice.
As I recollect, the stainless needed a little more heat than standard steel, I'd set your power control on "C" and the wire feed on "5" for starters, try a small test weld and see how it goes, you may need to go up or down one notch on the power.
Good Luck.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Originally Posted by e p slick
...All this said I believe that with minimal guidance and practice anyone, even a Frenchman, could weld very very nicely, be proud of their effort and have a strong reliable weld....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post

Of course boy....(e p slick )...It's never too late...never give up....

But, tell me...did you order some brain new parts to help you leaving your racism apart and share your knowledge with others.....of course, you probably have welding knowledge (that'll be better, after what you said....: )....So...... show us....

Anyway, I hope you don't have only Welding in your life......and, please, forget me.....or be a normal passionate Porsche "Man".............No hard feelings.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

That's the spirit, Serge!!! I spend more time in an average day laughing at myself more than anyone possibly could!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 935TURBO View Post
Originally Posted by e p slick

Of course boy....(e p slick )...It's never too late...never give up....

But, tell me...did you order some brain new parts to help you leaving your racism apart and share your knowledge with others.....of course, you probably have welding knowledge (that'll be better, after what you said....: )....So...... show us....

Anyway, I hope you don't have only Welding in your life......and, please, forget me.....or be a normal passionate Porsche "Man".............No hard feelings.....
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
Take this advice with a grain of salt....
I'm your basic bench racer home hobbyist welder, I have a Lincoln 175 which is similar to yours.
You should treat yourself to a small tank of 75% Argon 25% CO2 shielding gas which will be fine for most steels, it will run you around $100 at the local welding shop and will make your welds look a lot nicer and probably stronger too, you'll be surprised how long a small tank will last.
I recently welded some fairly thin stainless on an exhaust clamp, I bought a small roll of 308LSI .23" (.6mm) gas shielded wire and used the standard 75/25 gas, I didn't break for the special tri mix Helium / Argon / CO2, the welds turned out really nice.
As I recollect, the stainless needed a little more heat than standard steel, I'd set your power control on "C" and the wire feed on "5" for starters, try a small test weld and see how it goes, you may need to go up or down one notch on the power.
Good Luck.
Sound advice and will work but tri mix would be that much better again

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-01-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WydRyd View Post
Here is an awesome site I've been visiting frequently for all my MIG needs and has a great calculator for setting up your MIG machine for various gauge metals etc... they also have a great forum with lots of experts providing useful information/feedback etc...

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/calculator.htm

Check out their Tutorial section... it's very good
I checked out their tutorial, that's a great website. Thanks Merv.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Well, the high temp paint is now in the drying process. All that is left of the baffle are little tiny pieces on my garage floor.
I highly recommend this project as a much more expensive, much more difficult and potentially much uglier alternative to Brian's fancy schmancy stainless steel dump pipe.
Welder $650
Welding Accessories $100
Misc Grinding Accessories $50
Baffle Removal Time 2 Hours
Practice Welding 4 Hours
Weld Prep Time 1 hour
Actual Welding Time 5 minutes
Grinding time to make it look acceptable 4 Hours
or
You could spend $60 on a high quality dump pipe...
However,
Spending time understanding the dirty nasty innards of your mechincal baby... Priceless

Oh well... why spend $60 bucks and 15 minutes when you can spend a Grand and the whole weekend instead!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Well, look at it this way - If you had not cut your pipe up, just so you could weld it back together - we would never have had this thread.
We are all in your debt, and that much better off.
It is called character building.
Alan
Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Unfortunately, once replaced, there is no real noticable difference in noise. I guess the can by itself is enough to silence the noise.
-The End
Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Might be time to try one of Brian's?
Alan
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You forgot the oportunity costs of destroying a stock wastegate muffler.

Anyhoo, you learned a lot and didn't burn the house down (my welding education has been much more colorful). I can still set you up with one of these should you decide to remove the remnants of the stock unit.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Since it has the SE quad exhaust, it just wouldn't look right...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: