Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Considering a 930

After a life of dreaming it looks like I may have the opportunity to purchase a 930 in the near future. I feel like my technical research is nearly complete but I still have a few questions about these cars that only owners can answer. I plan to use this 930 as a primary vehicle for a short commutes and as a weekend toy, I will also have a backup vehicle available if the Porsche is down for service (I'm not expecting Camry reliability). Most of my questions pertain to day to day usability of the 930.

1. Can these cars handle steep driveways? My driveway is steep and has an abrupt transition from the street. 930s seem to have decent ground clearance and short overhangs so I'm hoping I'll be ok. Any issues with parking on an incline with the dry sump oil system? Is the parking brake strong when adjusted properly?

2. How do they run when cold? How much driving does it take before they are up to operating temp?

3. In a 4 speed car what RPM do they cruise at around 75-80mph?

4. How are they for road trips? My search for a good 930 has me looking all over the country, it is possible that my test drive may be followed by a 1000+ miles trip back home. Is this advisable or should I factor shipping into the price?

5. Can I post PCA classified cars here? When it comes time to buy I plan on asking this community about the car to get the group consensus. Any issues with that?

Thank you all for your time, hopefully I will be joining you all very soon. Also if you have any newbie required reading please point me in the right direction.

Last edited by willtel; 02-04-2008 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
1. The driveway isn't the problem. It's the angle at which it meets the road/gutter that is. My stock US-height car scrapes either the muffler or nose tie-down hooks at every opportunity on my own, flat driveway. It's just the dip of the gutter that makes that happen. So I have to edge in the car at an angle to avoid that problem. Admittedly, I've never thought about the dry-sump issue. Then again, the car's always parked in a flat garage. My parking brake sucks. But, as you mentioned, it's out of proper adjustment. And, again, I park on a flat surface, so I've been too lazy to fix that.

2. Car runs fine when it's cold. But it takes a good 10 miles or more for these air-cooled motors to properly warm up. And, as you know, cold starts are the hardest time on a motor. I try not to take the car on short trips. And I don't dip into the turbo when the motor's cold. These really aren't short-trip cars. At least unless you're not concerned about longer-term longevity.

3. I don't think the motor even wakes up in 4th gear until about 90 mph. I'm trolling along (way out of the powerband) when I'm doing 70 mph in 4th. True highway economy mode. I'll have to go home to check on the exact rpms, though. I'm guessing somewhere in the 2500 range.

4. The car's surprisingly comfy on longer trips. When I bought my car, I drove it 600 or so miles home. A couple months later, I took it on a 1100-mile trip (over 2 days). Whether or not your particular car will be reliable enough for that will, of course, vary.

5. Feel free to post cars you come across on this board (Rennlist is pretty good, too). Definitely better to have many eyes--and some of them pretty experienced--looking at a potential purchase.

6. Do it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
My cars do 3000 rpm at 90mph however that' s outrageously optimistic ( as all Porsche speedo's are,, more like 85 mph)..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
When looking for a new house (if I happen to be) I ALWAYS consider the driveway and its angle. I like to pull out of the garage and not have to use hiking boots and crampons just to wash my car!

On the go - I usually start the car and get in and roll. I don't sit and let it idle too long. I will drive at or below 3k until it comes up to operating temperature before going anywhere into boost.

But a steep driveway,, just take your time with your window down listening, come in at an angle,, real extreme and you hopefully will be fine.

These cars are built with dry sump systems and are meant to be on awkward angles, banks or whatever,, the driveway will not effect your car in any way.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Get it- but use the other car as a commuter.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
If your car is too low for your driveway then you could get the car raised. The suspension on these cars are adjustable, you won't need to buy any parts to do this.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Perhaps I should clarify commuting. If I go ahead with the 930 I will consider it a hobby car, I also own a '77 Bronco that I have built from the ground up that is reliable but will not be a very friendly commuter. I would like a pick up a cheap Honda beater to drive on bad weather days or if I need to park a car at the airport. My fiancee also has sensible car we can use on trips. At best I could see the 930 being driven 3 times a week.

The ability to adjust the 911 suspension is one thing that attracts me to them. Is lowering\raising the car as easy as re indexing the torsion bars? Also the trailing arm rear end seems to allow for lots of downtravel, my driveway causes issues with wide, stiff cars. A friends 350-Z couldn't make it up because the inside rear wheel would lift and lose traction. Unfortunately the only way to test it is to bring a 930 home.

I suppose I could pour a little more concrete at the bottom of my driveway to ease that transition a little, or put a Zork tube on for more exhaust clearance!

Last edited by willtel; 02-04-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
More than anything else,, we are only here on this earth for sooooo long! Take your baby,,, wherever the hell you want too!!

Enjoy every second in it,, even if it is a trip to the local cafe for a bit of tea or coffee. They are great cars that can be used as your commuter,, if you need them that way!

Of course, having the slave cars for those airpark or huge commuting mile days always pay for themselves.

Do the scheduled maintenance on it, wash and wax it like I know you will and it will treat you with a wonderful partnership.

Live your life! Enjoy your 930! And know that it is meant to be driven,,, not parked to hold egotistical bragging rights over how low the miles are.

In the end,, it is what you got out of it,, how much enjoyment it brought YOU! ,,, you own it for you,,, not anyone else!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Driveway should not be an issue go onto it sideways.

NO SHORT TRIPS. Every time you crank it should get to oper temps and, after that and before you shut it off, at least on full throtle/boost to clean the system and turbo blades.

P-cars love cold weather, mainly 930's.

1,000 miles trip should not be an issue "depending on the car's condition" - confy too.

We'll help you, keep us posted... and welcome.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

++1 on Hayabusa's post.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I'd buy the 930, and trade your house for one with a flat driveway farther away from your work to avoid all problems said above.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never owned anything like this car. You will have withdrawl if you cannot drive the damn thing! Even if the car is dirty or your pissed off at it you will not want to keep it parked. Its like a Naked Goddess taunting you!
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I highly recommend a 930! They are a dream to own and Drive.

Few tips

1. You can not do enough research.
2. Ask alot of questions here.
3. Find a well respected P- car mechanic to go over the car before you pull the trigger you can find one here by asking for one in a specific area.
4. Figure how much you want to spend before you start looking.
5. It is very hard to walk away from a nice car (Keep your wits about you)
6. A bad car can relieve you of large(Very Large) amounts of cash.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
++1 on Hayabusa's post.
Speaking for us all, I am sure.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Some real good thoughts here, offered to some real well thought out questions.

IMO, these make the *perfect* "3 day a week" commuters like you are predicting. The other 2 days it'll either be bad weather or you'll "need" more space for a Home Depot run or to shag kids or or or or. This is win / win, as it helps you keep the inevitable commuter rash down, and also helps to mitigate the miles racking up. More importantly though, as mentioned, it ensures you DRIVE the thing. Cars do not like to sit, and these in particular are addictive to use. I thorougly enjoy my 30 min. each way in mine, my "me time", alone, unbridled, unreal. Gottaloveit!!!

Regarding long distances, man did this hit me like a hammer over the head. I was coming back from an overnight trip to have a beer with a bud in Maine and bombing along back to CT at a sustained 120-130 (don't ask / judge, whatever) for what seemed ever - and it was like an epiphiny... these cars *LOVE* to simply gobble up asphault. I wanted nothing more than to point the sucker west and not stop until I hit water. SUCH a fine GT machine, excellent feel, ergonomics, seating position, cockpit, greenhouse, comfort, etc.

A heavenly experience is to pile miles on end in these things!!! At speed, if possible 8-).

Agreed with all the other thoughts here in their entirety: nail / head... get one, drive one! Smile all the long.

Stock US ride height is near Rancho status / 4 finger hoor wheel arch clearence, but I have as others noted scraped my tail pipe on an odd occassion. It is so ingrained in me to calculate an ahem 'deliberate' angle of approach / departure with all the goofy cars I've had I'm usually fine with the 930. Like you said guess you'll just have to bring one home to see. Where you located?

My ebrake could be one click or so tighter but it's really good by most car's standards and has been effective. That said, on REAL steep parks I'll leave it in the opposite facing gear (R for nose down / vice versa) just for the warm fuzzies that, my luck, the lever will come unsprung and release. D'oh no thanks.

You've got a practical back up car (and truck), got that important base covered in the event she's down awaiting parts or the like. A necessity here in CT with the weather.

All that's holding you back is the right car now. Don't rush into one, ask ask ask here / Rennlist, negotiate your pants off, and buy the 'right car'. Do NOT save a buck and buy a questionable example - as noted here, $$$$$$$$ proposition you'll regret. Be patient, they come up fairly often - but - an immortal quote: "there's a lot of 930s out there, there's just not a lot of NICE 930s out there". Beware molestation issues, getting harder and harder to find a clean stocker out there these days.

It is an extremely exciting time of life, I just got mine last fall and am loving every red second of it!!! 8-) When opportunity knocks - you answer it!

HTH, good luck, post back as you progress.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Suspension.

You would need to re index the rear torsion bars but at the front you would probably get away with just turning the adjustment screw. The car would then need all the geometry adjusted (camber, castor & toe) and also a corner weight balance.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Good right up, Paul. Passion.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Thanks Chris appreciate that. I enjoy writing, tho apologize passion can also equal wordy!

Mmmmm... Hyabusa... totally insane. I cannot even imagine. I digress.

Yes, these are def. one of the few significant iconoclastic cars of yore that ellicit such.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

They are wonderful cars.
Buy it..

Mine is doing a comfortable smooth 3000rpm at 80 or 81mph in 4th gear by the speedometer.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
More than anything else,, we are only here on this earth for sooooo long! Take your baby,,, wherever the hell you want too!!

Enjoy every second in it,, even if it is a trip to the local cafe for a bit of tea or coffee. They are great cars that can be used as your commuter,, if you need them that way!

Of course, having the slave cars for those airpark or huge commuting mile days always pay for themselves.

Do the scheduled maintenance on it, wash and wax it like I know you will and it will treat you with a wonderful partnership.

Live your life! Enjoy your 930! And know that it is meant to be driven,,, not parked to hold egotistical bragging rights over how low the miles are.

In the end,, it is what you got out of it,, how much enjoyment it brought YOU! ,,, you own it for you,,, not anyone else!
....'nough said
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: