Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Greg

crank bearings

Thanks for the feedback on my crankshaft repair. I decided to send it out to Marine Crankshaft in CA on the recommendation of Henry. #5 was scored and every so slightly bent. Once that's completed, back together my 930 will start to go.

On a side note, I insured the package for $5K, hoping that UPS would lose it and I would purchase a brand new one from our host, only to see that new their going for $6800. Can't win..LOL

Stupid question. When I removed the crankshaft bearings, stamped on the underside was a -.025 on each. I'm assuming these are undersized going for $98 each . Is that a correct assumption? My engine spun #5 with less then 2k on a rebuild from the previous owner. The rest of the bearings look new.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsgroup View Post
Thanks for the feedback on my crankshaft repair. I decided to send it out to Marine Crankshaft in CA on the recommendation of Henry. #5 was scored and every so slightly bent. Once that's completed, back together my 930 will start to go.

On a side note, I insured the package for $5K, hoping that UPS would lose it and I would purchase a brand new one from our host, only to see that new their going for $6800. Can't win..LOL

Stupid question. When I removed the crankshaft bearings, stamped on the underside was a -.025 on each. I'm assuming these are undersized going for $98 each . Is that a correct assumption? My engine spun #5 with less then 2k on a rebuild from the previous owner. The rest of the bearings look new.

Interesting rebuild!! You need to see if you can get bearings for what the crank will have to be turned to. You also gotta ask yourself how the bearing got fired? Poor tolerances, oiling, base case, bent crank, etc?

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Last I heard you could not buy a new 930 crank???? Did I hear wrong??? If it does get lost (figures crossed for ya) then go for a 964 crank and stroke that bad boy. a few guys have already done it, and I wish I had. My crank was scratched on one bearing, and when I asked EBS racing if it could be replaced, they said they no longer offer new. I wish I knew I could of gone 964 at the time.

On another note. I have been hearing a lot about the poor quality of replacement bearings (search on the rebuild forum). This worries me, b/c I just finished a rebuild with glyco bearings. You may want to do some extra research just so you dont spin another bearing.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Greg

Both posts above this are my thoughts as well. My thinking is that there was some material left after the last rebuild which cause starvation. I'll be throwing out the engine oil cooler (know EBS cleans them, don't what to chance it) and the Oil loop and flushing out the oil tank and dry ice blasting the case et al..

As for bearings, I'm in process of seeing what I have and replace accordingly. I'll probably go Porsche for this. Might all be a moot point if my crank is beyond saving...
Old 02-08-2008, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Crankshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsgroup View Post

You will be very pleased with David Eadens "Marine Crankshafts" work. He has repaired a lot of outboard cranks for me and built me a few stroker cranks that we have turned over 11,000 rpms without a single failure. he does nice work
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Cam Marine provide the bearings? This way you know you got the right ones.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: