Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
OEm Oil Connecting Socket

Hello to all,

This part number OEM-93011026701 is the connecting socket that runs between the oil tank and the oil separator in my 87-930.

This product has been discontinued and was curious to see if there is something else that would be easy to use. It is #9 in the below parts diagram that I have attached.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Bryan

Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
Hello to all,

This part number OEM-93011026701 is the connecting socket that runs between the oil tank and the oil separator in my 87-930.

This product has been discontinued and was curious to see if there is something else that would be easy to use. It is #9 in the below parts diagram that I have attached.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Bryan

Looks like something a visit to a hardware store would remedy.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

easy fix. take the line to the harware store and find a plumbers brass fitting. as long as you use a clamp, and it is tight, you will be golden
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

What he said. ^^^^
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
What does this do for the car anyway?
My 79 930 don't have one and it waso nly itted after 86 models. What benefit for the engine is there?
Is it worth upgradingmy 79?

Thanks
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I believe this part is for emmisions only... I would think that it prevents oil from getting blown out with air at the breather...

I have a small K&N filter for my oil tank vent...with no catch can, and have yet to see any oil get sloshed or blown out.... I say rip it out of there......
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I believe this part is for emmisions only... I would think that it prevents oil from getting blown out with air at the breather...

I have a small K&N filter for my oil tank vent...with no catch can, and have yet to see any oil get sloshed or blown out.... I say rip it out of there......
Actually, I would not recommend taking the oil separator out. Oil separators are an invaluable device in any dry sump system. The 930's have two dry sump systems, one in the engine crankcase and the other at the turbo sump. There are times when these pumps may be scavenging a little air with the oil. These separators separate the oil and air, return the oil to the tank, while the air is vented in front of the air cleaner. If you just run a vent line to the air cleaner from the oil tank, you are going to be sucking in oil vapors into the engine. BTDT. Any oil vapor in the intake mixture, effectively reduces the octane level of the gasoline suspended in the mixture AND that is definitely NOT GOOD.
Can you say detonation?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Actually, I would not recommend taking the oil separator out. These separators separate the oil and air, return the oil to the tank , while the air is vented in front of the air cleaner. If you just run a vent line to the air cleaner from the oil tank, you are going to be sucking in oil vapors into the engine.

Actually, I disagree... If the oil separater does what you says it does.. "separate the oil and air, return the oil to the tank", then we are not talking about the same part that is pictured above. The part that is pictured above in the parts breakdown, is in the vent tract of the oil system.... not on the return circuit. The only oil that would ever get to this separator is oil that is contained in the air that is vented out of the top of the crankcase. The hard metal line that attaches to the top of the crankcase and runs toward the oil tank is the line that is attached to the top of this separator... It is a crankcase breather...nothing else. All this part is for is to make sure that IF there ever was oil in the vent air, that is does not get dumped overboard. purely emissions..nothing more.
There are baffles in the oil tank which help in separating the ail from the oil. All the original poster needs to do is rip off of this crap out of his car... and instead of having the metal vent line from the top of the crankcase going to this separator... he needs to hook it into the oil tank, right by the filler neck. Heck, there even is a factory place for him to hook it into....

My oil tank is vented to atmosphere by means of a small K&N air breather filter... and in the races that I have been in...and numerous DE events, thousands of city and highway driving, I have yet to see ANY oil coming from the breather system....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

I have EFI, and left this in place till all the other stuff on my car is sorted out. I would like to strip it off also. It's in the way of valves and spark plugs. I've got part of it capped off with a "little" K&N since I no longer have any of the Factory breather/Intake stuff. I didn't get rid of the whole deal yet because I figure something has to "Breathe" somewhere.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There's no pressure in that hose it's a gravity drain to the oil tank so a piece of copper pipe and clamps would work there.
Or go to a Bennet auto parts or NAPA store and you can find plastic heater hose connectors for american cars on those rotating racks that will work.

Or for a used German one, go to "the recycling center" or "thousands of parts" salvage yards that are next to each other out on Benoist farms road a little south of Belvedere road, and just south of MAKO hose supply.
...while there, look on the cold start throttle bypass hose connections of older BMW's. You'll find that exact nylon hose connector used between the throttle body and intake manifold cold start TB air bypass hoses on early eighties L jetronic 6 cylinder BMW's. Maybe on the later Motronic motors too.
You might find a similar one on an old Volvo, Saab, Mercedes or asian car too.

You might even find it here in the BMW parts section on pelican too.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
Actually, I disagree... If the oil separater does what you says it does.. "separate the oil and air, return the oil to the tank", then we are not talking about the same part that is pictured above. The part that is pictured above in the parts breakdown, is in the vent tract of the oil system.... not on the return circuit. The only oil that would ever get to this separator is oil that is contained in the air that is vented out of the top of the crankcase. The hard metal line that attaches to the top of the crankcase and runs toward the oil tank is the line that is attached to the top of this separator... It is a crankcase breather...nothing else. All this part is for is to make sure that IF there ever was oil in the vent air, that is does not get dumped overboard. purely emissions..nothing more.
There are baffles in the oil tank which help in separating the ail from the oil. All the original poster needs to do is rip off of this crap out of his car... and instead of having the metal vent line from the top of the crankcase going to this separator... he needs to hook it into the oil tank, right by the filler neck. Heck, there even is a factory place for him to hook it into....

My oil tank is vented to atmosphere by means of a small K&N air breather filter... and in the races that I have been in...and numerous DE events, thousands of city and highway driving, I have yet to see ANY oil coming from the breather system....
Well, then let's agree to disagree.

Porsche calls it an oil separator. It's purpose is to separate gases(air and combustion) and oil from the fumes coming from the oil holding tank. You can remove it and vent the line to the atmosphere, but why? Shouldn't the gases be sent to the engine in the first place? This is '60's technology that is still in use today to help clean up the atmosphere by recycling hydrocarbons and oil vapors coming out of the oil tank, just like the gas tanks have feedback lines and charcoal canisters. It's not costing you any HP.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-10-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Mine was made of a white plastic with NOTHING inside it. I figured it was just a connector and replaced it with a brass one from Lowes because it was crushed somewhat.

What's inside to act as an oil seperator?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Mine was made of a white plastic with NOTHING inside it. I figured it was just a connector and replaced it with a brass one from Lowes because it was crushed somewhat.

What's inside to act as an oil seperator?
I think most of them consist of some sort of maze or mesh that once the vapors hit a corner or mesh, they condense and drop to the outlet pipe. I never had torn the 930 separator apart. Any volunteers?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Who has removed these?

I am looking for a few things from this post as I have become very interested in the responses.

I would like to remove this Oil Separator completely,

From user Turbobrtat930's post, I know that this is a breather for the oil. There is no actual oil traveling through these lines. The actual venting into atmosphere cannot be that much as most American cars have a PCV valve that does exactly this.

Who out there either doesn't have this or has removed it. This is a mess and just is added weight if you ask me.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Old 02-10-2008, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: