Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
noob with BIG problems - pics included

Hi Chaps,

Picked up my new to me 1982 930, couple of days ago. Previously had a 1983 ROW SC.

Have a major issues with acceleration (or lack of), wondering if anyone has had the same experience and can offer any help.

In first gear car pulls well, to 3500 rpm but vibrates a bit, in second, normal to about 3500 rpm, thereafter, pulls but vibrates badly. In 3rd pulls normally to 3500 rpm and then crawls to 4000, but ends there. Have not tried going above 3500 rpm in 4th.

Sounds like a major problem to me, hope its not. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pics of new ride.

Thanks all
MB - 07 ML350
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj911 View Post
Hi Chaps,

Picked up my new to me 1982 930, couple of days ago. Previously had a 1983 ROW SC.

Have a major issues with acceleration (or lack of), wondering if anyone has had the same experience and can offer any help.

In first gear car pulls well, to 3500 rpm but vibrates a bit, in second, normal to about 3500 rpm, thereafter, pulls but vibrates badly. In 3rd pulls normally to 3500 rpm and then crawls to 4000, but ends there. Have not tried going above 3500 rpm in 4th.

Sounds like a major problem to me, hope its not. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Sounds like you need to find a GOOD and HONEST PORSCHE 930 mechanic. Good luck with that!

You bought it without driving it? If you drove it and it ran like this, I hope you had the owner knock some serious coin off the cost of the car? If you can't do the work yourself, expect this to cost from $2000-$10,000 to fix.

1st things to do, major tune-up and Leakdown/compression test.

This should tell you something about where you stand.

Les

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT

Last edited by les_garten; 02-09-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

l love the car first of all,beautiful. The problem could be minor..or not but you need to cover the basics with a post purchase inspection,find the cars previous mechanic and talk to him.Fom your description of the drivability problems it could be one of too many things to comment.More info.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Looks great. If you can work the car yourself, I'd start with the basics of a tune up. After that, you may need to take it to a wrench to get looked at.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

what is the boost pressure reading when it starts shaking? sweet color and wheels
50k:Lindren Green:B&B Dual Out Pipes:K27:965 I/C: --SOLD!!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurbahn View Post
what is the boost pressure reading when it starts shaking? sweet color and wheels

This is how my car runs with a BIG boost leak. When the Turbo gets into the "spooling" range of RPM and you have a Boost leak, you will see this. 3500-4000 RPM is where you would see this.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Boost leak...check your lines for cracks, usually at the clamps......
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

With that tail, maybe you have a full bay intercooler?
Too hard to guess what the problem is, but you could take some close up pics of the engine, expecially all the large hoses going to and from the intercooler. Maybe one of them has blown off a little around one edge, or lifts off under boost but is hard to notice unless you know what to look for.
beautiful car.

kinda funny, 3 replies from northern Palm Beach county Florida in a row... where are you? The background looks like some areas of Miami other than the license tags.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Great looking car, Prithvi! Love the colour!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I take it your in singapore? The backround in the pics looked familiar, and your avatar confirmed it. How was the tax on the older car?

Great looking car!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

take the intercooler off and check the o-ring where the intercooler seals to the throttle body. happened to me years ago. I keep a few o-rings laying around for this exact situation.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
One of the concerns here of course is your statement of vibration when you hit the problem. It is hard to qualify/quantify that through an email. Be careful.

Les
Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice wheels, sounds like a boost leak to me
Vibration could be bad CV joints??
Good luck, let us know what you find
Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, I am in Singapore, and as someone mentioned the tax on that car is killing!!

I am useless with DIY and met my wrench this morning (he used to take care of my SC), he took it for a long drive, noticed a small amount of black smoke, and what he suspects is that the car is starved of fuel, might be a failure in one of the pumps. It is going in on Wednesday for a full service and to check what the problem is.

For those interested, the colour is a Renault colour, is commonly called a "Renault Megan" yellow. The wheels are made by a Japanese company called Works, they make pretty high end wheels and these in particular are made for Porsches and are very light.

Other than that the engine is stock, it has an uprated cooler in the front spoiler and a ghl exhaust. The flatnose conversion was by a company called Zeemax from the UK. Interior, it has the old school recaro, whole interior is in bright Yellow. was not too fond of it, but is growing on me.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see any more pics.

Thanks
MB - 07 ML350
Old 02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

When I saw the Right Hand Drive, the Works on that car, I figured you are located in Singapore or Malaysia.

That car is absolutely stunning. The color and wheels really do it for me and compliment the slant nose look. That car needs 500hp as its doing 200mp/h sitting stationary! I love it....I REALLY love it.

Lets see some interior pics please. How much is tax in Singapore on that car? I spent a summer in Singapore and love it there.

I am sure your mechanic is competant, but to really tell if the car is starving for fuel is to check the psi at wide open throttle with an inline gauge. Troubleshootsing these cars can be tricky but if you are patient and have good help, it is very "do-able".

Good luck and keep us informed - Yasin

Last edited by slow&rusty; 02-10-2008 at 03:56 AM..
Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Smoking black? Probably major boost leak with reads to overrich condition which leads to plugs fouling which leads to misfire (=vibration) which leads to complete shutdown when there is so much fuel you cannot ignite it.

Pressurize intake to check for leaks, change plugs and distributor cap. Check CO on idle, check AFR's.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

Wheels......what wheels are they, Prithvi?

Nice car -
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The wheels are made by a Japanese company called Works, they make pretty high end wheels and these in particular are made for Porsches and are very light.

I have seen a website for works wheels before too, you can probably find it with google
50k:Lindren Green:B&B Dual Out Pipes:K27:965 I/C: --SOLD!!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I feel your pain on the tax. I had a Mercedes E class while I lived there for 3 years, and I think after taxes it was in the range of $500,000.00 That was 7 years ago. I still loved living there, and i'm looking for an excuse to get back.

P.S. once you get the car sorted out, ask your wrench if there is a wastegate muffler or a strait pipe to atomsphere. If its a muffler, swap it out for the strait pipe to atomsphere and get that baby under boost, with the windows down, in the tunnel that goes under the financial district (late at night of course). It will be the best sound you have ever heard!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Won't you get shuddering if the clutch is going bad.. if it's the OE rubber centered clutch set up.. just an Idea. I hope you sort itout.
Nice looking Turbo.. neat color as well.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: