Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil leak

Hey all! I seem to have an oil leak coming from the right side (pass) out of that half moon lip that protrudes from the chain tensioner cover near the valve cover, I think. Unless I have a split in the oil hose that I cannot see. It is getting all over my exhaust as if spraying. Any ideas what is behind there that could be the culprit? The car is a 79 930. It has pressure fed tensioners. Thanks! Mark
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can you see the leak while the engine is running? If it has some pressure too it then I would think the cam oil lines/ tensioner lines would be the culprit. Its best to clean up all the oil, let it run, and trace the oil up the engine to the highest point.

If it is more of a drip, then remove the valve cover and see if there is any oil in the area's its not supposed to be in (can leak through the rockers, and you can use some RSR seals to take care of it)

If thats fine, then it could be where the chain boxes meet to the cam towers. this will take a whole lot more work to fix so try everthing else first Let us know. Pics always help!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Might be the cam rockers as AngM018 suggest. That what I had after a rebuild and the first trip to the track.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks! A closer look reveals that its coming from a different area near the oil cooler. Looks like its coming out under psi. I cleaned the area but may have to check while running.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am having a similar leak around my oil cooler. Luckily I have already planned on dropping my engine for post rebuild maintenance, so it really doesn't worry me that much. it is a drip and not a pressure leak.

I was surprised at just how easy it is to drop these engines in your own back yard (well garage that is)
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Problem solved! My leak was coming from the hose that connects to the oil cooler (top) from the oil tank. Oil was blowing out onto the the cooler at the fitting leaking down and being blown onto the right heat exchanger. Thanks for the responses. I have had this car since August of last year and since then I have learned a lot, thanks to you all! Mark
Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: