Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Supercharger Kits

Ok folks I am fairly new to this forum and I don't know if this topic has already been covered. I own an 87 Carrera 3.2. I t has 1 5/8 headers and exhaust, chipped an open element air filter. It runs strong but of course I wouldn't mind a bit (OK, a lot) more power. I have seen photos of some clean belt driven Supercharger installations but I am having trouble finding someone who sells them. I like the fact that belt driven blowers have little to no lag. Realistically, I am loOKing to put out in the range of 325 to 350 HP keep drivevability and most of the fuel efficiency during highway cruising.

Am I asking to much????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
William
1987 Carrera 3.2
Old 02-11-2008, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do a search,lots of info out there. The pro/con-turbo/supercharger debate has a clear weiner when appplied to the 3.2 911... and superchargers lost. They tend to wear out the motor pretty fast due to the huge mechanical load coupled with the boost. Turbocharging is the ticket here amigo and you`ll find a TON of 3.2 turbo info here since many of us have done it succesfully.l don`t know of any supercharged cars here...anyone?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This whipple is here on the board:

Or you could go Centrifugal:

Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
I've been running mine boosted for the last 3 years, with no problems. It ant pretty, but it pulls like a big block chevy. Zero lag.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
To answer your question. No one makes them for the 3.2 anymore. You will have to fab it yourself.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

These are to cool. Can you meet CA smog laws with a super charger on a CIS.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
This whipple is here on the board:

Or you could go Centrifugal:

Can you send me photos of the first car it looks like my 82 SC.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

opps,l stand corrected l wanted to go the supercharger route initially also but over a few years of debate went turbo. l`ve heard the whipples are the best but that monster Rodsrsr has on his car looks pretty evil, l`d love to get a ride in one. Belt wear looks like a potential problem although keeping a few spare belts isn`t that big a deal if you`re wrenching on your car all the time anyhow..
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That's the only picture I have DTW. Plucked it from the forum some time ago.

I had a buddy a few years ago that bought a whipple supercharged SC. What a rocket! Instant torque, ran like it had a small block Chevy out back. The engine was tied down to 260WHP but felt much more powerful with the flat instant torque curve. I've never ridden in a turbo car that had those characteristics.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I supercharged a miata a while back and spent a lot of time with several types. The whipples are very good (flat, predictable torque curves), but have pretty precise tolerances. The centrifugals have a boost curve a lot like our turbos. The whipple would be much more predictable in corners since the boost curves are pretty linear. I've never heard anything that would recommend a centrifugal over a turbo (more load, more complexity and less potential power).

In general, superchargers feel like simply having a much larger displacement engine.

As we all know, turbos have that rapidly rising torque curve that feels like you're strapped onto a rocket if you keep your foot on the throttle (at least until the rear tires lose their grip and you hit the rev limiter).
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

superchargers

I recently acquired a powerdyne from a friend for $50. It needs a belt and
bearings for $135. So my total investment is about $200 which is great
considering they are around $1200 new. It has the mount for a v8 but
I'm sure I could mount it on a 911. There is one on ebay right now for
$50.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: