Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

50/80 or 40/60 LSD?

Looking into a Guard LSD for the 930. Principally use the car on the track but I do often drive it on the street to the track and occasionally on the weekends as well. From what I hear the 50/80 is really the optimal track setting but I am concerned that it will be too difficult to deal with for the occasional street drive. Anyone have any relavent experience?

thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
I certainly don't recommend it, nor is it good for the car's mechanicals, but I've driven my car with a spool in it on the street before. Sure she understeers like a pickup truck, but in the dry it certainly hasn't provided a "threatening" or unsafe situation. NO, I wouldn't have lent the keys to my wife or mother, but then again.....that wasn't the only characteristic of the car that might have prevented that.

So, no its not optimal and may require some backing off to 8/10 rather than 9/10's in corners, but if used mostly for track I'd set it up mostly for track and make the sacrifice on the street. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think Luke has it exactly right. Set it up for where it's going to mostly be, and put up with it elsewhere.

My 40/65 feels great on the street. Which means you'd probably be able to do much better for dedicated track use.

Face it; "drive it to and from the track and sometimes at weekends" is pretty much dedicated track use.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Have you considered the torque biasing version?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Torque biasing units are better set up for autox cars. Prevents some of the lower speed understeer but doesn't provide any of the decel stability that the LSD brings to the party.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930LDR View Post
Torque biasing units are better set up for autox cars. Prevents some of the lower speed understeer but doesn't provide any of the decel stability that the LSD brings to the party.

Here we go again... LOL... ;-)

How important deceleration stability is versus all the other advantages the TB offers isn't necessarily a slam dunk for the LSD even for a 100% track car.

FWIW - a properly setup/well balanced 911 can trail brake quite nicely with a TB diff. I've been racing with both and while the 2 shop cars I race are LSD my own is a TB and that's my preferred choice for most of the tracks we race on here on the left coast.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqcarrera View Post
Here we go again... LOL... ;-)

How important deceleration stability is versus all the other advantages the TB offers isn't necessarily a slam dunk for the LSD even for a 100% track car.

FWIW - a properly setup/well balanced 911 can trail brake quite nicely with a TB diff. I've been racing with both and while the 2 shop cars I race are LSD my own is a TB and that's my preferred choice for most of the tracks we race on here on the left coast.
Agreed. The worm gear (TB) differential was adapted to cars for open track (NOT A/C) use.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Simply basing my comment on what I am being told by those that know more than I do on the matter. I am sure that there are people who use TBs and are quite happy with them on the track.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: