Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dust in my intercooler!

l have an 84 3.2 turbo, l built the system myself about 2 years ago. The intake to the turbo was an area l really wasn`t too happy with since there isn`t much room down there for plumbing.l fabbed up some thin wall alloy tubing and snaked it up into the rear fender well,intending to add an external intake on the fender ala` 997 turbo S. l used a K&N filter.The results? not good. As l`m still refining the system l have cause to disassemble things (Thankfully) and upon removal of the intercooler l found the entire intake system has a thin coat of dust,from the turbo to the TB and beyond. l dumped the oil and have cleaned out the plumbing but l won`t run this system again in it`s present state.l`ve heard the K&N bashing before and dismissed it but l`m not too happy with them right now.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am battling with the same kind of thing though no dust in the intake tract but rather the filter gets dirty so fast. I am thinking of building a perferated container arounf the filter and run the filter right by the driver side exhaust valve covers. this area will see the least debri. I would like to run it in the engine compartment but there is not much room..

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

raceman, surely the filter has failed or there's a leak somewhere, I've seen cars with filthy filters but it still doesn't get past them.

I'm thinking of mounting my filter directly onto the turbo, 934 style, out there it will get fresh air and shouldn't get too dirty right? I would mount it with a sheild that are readily available. Any thoughts on this?
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks for the replys. Well l`m thinking perhaps the filter got wet and the water carried the dirt through,must be that. l did get caught in the rain a couple of times. l had been trying to avoid using non-solid intake ducting so l went with the alloy tubing to eliminate possibility of damage/leaking. l may get some appropriate scat type tubing and snake up into the engine compartment for now,l think l can find some room
As for mounting your air filter right on the turbo unless you get an effective rain shield forget it,too risky in my opinion. Now if you`re sure you`ll never be caught in the wet for any reason then go for it but you`ll need to clean it every 1000 miles or sooner l would bet..
Old 02-12-2008, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I built an aluminum flashing filter box that I mounted in the top of the driver's side rear wheel well. The turbo is connected to the box/filter from the rear. I still see a lot of dirt on the filter but it doesn't usually get wet.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks Mike,l should have done the same before driving my car.l`ll get it sorted..
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It's too dirty and wet in any rear wheel wheel to draw intake air, regardless of the filter type or installation. Raceman, I hope your engine isn't already dust gutted, it doesn't take long.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I got the same problem with my intake, but I dont find myself too worried about it.
I ran my galant VR-4 for about 30,000 miles @27 psi with a mesh screen over the inlet and the car still had maybe 5-7% leak down when I sold it.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I got the same problem with my intake, but I dont find myself too worried about it.
I ran my galant VR-4 for about 30,000 miles @27 psi with a mesh screen over the inlet and the car still had maybe 5-7% leak down when I sold it.
Ahh right..............I assume sante fe is in one of the southwest/western states. The "dust" in those areas is like lapping compound. I've seen hundreds of off-the- showroom engines and their turbos dust gutted, sometimes in less than 10K miles!
Did you pull the air for your Galant from your REAR wheel well? Big difference, that and your geographic location.

Last edited by copbait73; 02-14-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Old 02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: