Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Intercooler in stock Carrera Whale Tail?

I apologize for my stupidity in advance...

I've searched for this question in the forums and haven't found anything. Are there any intercoolers which can be set up within a stock Carrera Whale Tail? I have an '87. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nope. Short of custom fabing flat mounted intercoolers there is no way you are fitting a traditional 930 intercooler under that wing. I imagine that you wouldn't even be able to close the lid.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You have the same condition I'm working with. Assuming you retain your desirable plenum/ram intake manifolds you can not package a charge air cooler.
If however, you locate and swap out to 930 Turbo CIS manifold it can be done. I think this is still undesirable because then you are dealing with a very hot engine and very limited air inlet area to feed the CAC and engine fan.
This situation and others are pushing me to use water/methanol injection. I know that these two dirty words (water/methanol) will probably set off a storm of criticism but it is a valid option given my packaging constrants and desired HP.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
This situation and others are pushing me to use water/methanol injection. I know that these two dirty words (water/methanol) will probably set off a storm of criticism but it is a valid option given my packaging constrants and desired HP.
Ben was suggesting the same to me given my HP goals. I think I'm going to run without an intercooler for the time being (8.5:1 compression with .5-.6 bar). I don't believe there that many E85 pumps around my area. I think I'll just keep researching for now and keeping my open for good deals turbo tails and intercoolers.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

E85 is also appealing cause I'd like to keep my car as inconspicuous in appearance as possible... a bit of a paradox since I do enjoy the loud rumbles
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei View Post
I think I'll just keep researching for now and keeping my open for good deals turbo tails and intercoolers.
You have that option. Your car looks right with a turbo tail, the early long hoods do not.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Out of curiosity, how did RUF get an intercooler in the Yellowbird if it had a Carrera Tail? Did they fit one that was vertically alligned on the rear?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I was in the same boat, custom IC for more dollars under a stock lid, or cheaper IC readily available and a $400 repro RS america tail plus paint. Still a lot of cash either way.

OH ya, Ben put off a 930 IC on me that's still in the closet, it's yours for a case of beer and shipping.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley View Post
I was in the same boat, custom IC for more dollars under a stock lid, or cheaper IC readily available and a $400 repro RS america tail plus paint. Still a lot of cash either way.

OH ya, Ben put off a 930 IC on me that's still in the closet, it's yours for a case of beer and shipping.
What IC did you go with? Compression? Henry from Supertec is going to machine my pistons down to a 8.5:1 compression and make sure all is good with the cylinders, so I'm comfortable running on no IC for now. How's your car been running?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei View Post
Out of curiosity, how did RUF get an intercooler in the Yellowbird if it had a Carrera Tail? Did they fit one that was vertically alligned on the rear?
Go here:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=2572&page_number=2
Looks like twin intercoolers packaged in the rear fenders behind the large air inlets.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

YB does have a carrera tail, but the IC's are off to the side.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have that GSF IC, car runs well, almost a year and a half at stock compression, .6 bar. I ran at .5 non IC for a few months, oil temp would get up there in a hurry, after the IC install it takes 20 minutes in 60 degree weather to get to 180.
the dyno thing scared the crap out of me.
there's a video here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bs4ymXG3k
I didn't put that up, so don't give me any **** about the editing
Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

you CAN fit a custom cooler under the stock lid, l`ve seen it done and pics have been on this forum. There is enough room there if you work it but it`s a compromise for sure.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I have that GSF IC, car runs well, almost a year and a half at stock compression, .6 bar. I ran at .5 non IC for a few months, oil temp would get up there in a hurry, after the IC install it takes 20 minutes in 60 degree weather to get to 180.
the dyno thing scared the crap out of me.
there's a video here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bs4ymXG3k
I didn't put that up, so don't give me any **** about the editing
You car sounds great! I'm guessing my exhaust note will be quite similar to yours as I am going thru Ben.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

thanks, he just made the muffler quieter to, it still screams
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
you CAN fit a custom cooler under the stock lid, l`ve seen it done and pics have been on this forum. There is enough room there if you work it but it`s a compromise for sure.
I think if you check back you'll find those all had 930 turbo intake manifolds, not the 3.2 or 3.6 plenum manifolds.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure racemans's right, I've seen the pics on 3.2s. It's not that it's impossible, just a lot of fab work.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'm pretty sure racemans's right, I've seen the pics on 3.2s. It's not that it's impossible, just a lot of fab work.
Sorry, you are right. When I hear Carrera tail it's a ducktail. The later model factory Carrera tray tail should give you lots of room. My bad.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

well..l`ve seen two tight fits back there ; one had the stock lid and one had a ducktail,it can be done either way but it will take some skill. lf you`re dead set on the Carrera tail just start taking measurements and think outside the box a bit (don`t you hate that saying?) and you`ll find you have lots of room back there..
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I found one of them from a while ago, I think this looks great

Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: