Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Internal vs external wastegate... which is better?

In the sloooow process of turboing my 3.2 and am using a standard K27 HF and exteranal WG at .6 bar. However, looking at newer turbos/ systems, internal wastegates seems stardard. Love the external WG for 'cool' factor and sound, but is it 'old' tech? How exactly do you vary the spring rate on the external WG? Is there any advantage? Thanks
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I was always under the impression the external was the norm in these cars.

In order to vary the spring rate, you just buy one at the rate you want and replace the old one. Or you can just buy the lowest rate / cut the old one, and run a boost controller.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
OOPS, i meant to say, how do you vary the boost pressure on the INTERNAL wastgates.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
In the sloooow process of turboing my 3.2 and am using a standard K27 HF and exteranal WG at .6 bar. However, looking at newer turbos/ systems, internal wastegates seems stardard. Love the external WG for 'cool' factor and sound, but is it 'old' tech? How exactly do you vary the spring rate on the external WG? Is there any advantage? Thanks
Internal or integral, W/Gs are very cost effective methods of getting the job done however their adjustment and flow capability are closely tailored and not something you want for your project.
The external W/G is best for you.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
OOPS, i meant to say, how do you vary the boost pressure on the INTERNAL wastgates.

That is easy, I have done it MANY times...you have to disconnect the rod to the diaphram, cut it and re-thread it, so it opens later -or - install an inline boost controller to fool the wastegate (I have used Manual Boost Controllers, with great results).

Yasin
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys. I have seen a lot of guys using Internal WG turbos on TT aftermarket systems, but none for the 930. So the only advantage is of an internal WG turbo is the elimination of a dump pipe and more closely tailoring of the wastegate parameters to a particular turbo?
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys. I have seen a lot of guys using Internal WG turbos on TT aftermarket systems, but none for the 930. So the only advantage is of an internal WG turbo is the elimination of a dump pipe and more closely tailoring of the wastegate parameters to a particular turbo?
Most are just upgrading the twin integral W/G turbos the factory installed. The factory went this route because twin tubos like these are cheaper and lighter. Two integral W/G modern turbos are cheaper than the installed cost of the old tech single turbo with external W/G found on the previous 964(5) 3.6L single turbo motor.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The only advantage to an internal wastegate is that it's cheap, and *maybe* easier to plumb.

But it's undesireable because it causes a lot of flow resistance due to all the post-turbine turbulence. So if you want big power & efficiency, you want an external WG. Ideally you want the WG to dump to atmosphere (which is pretty darn easy to plumb!) but OEMs can't design that way for emissions reasons. For emissions, you'd route the WG outlet it back into the exhaust stream, preferably at least 1+ foot downstream.

So there's little controversy; external is better.

...at least that's what the experts tell me...

Last edited by Eric86Red911; 02-13-2008 at 01:46 PM..
Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Internals suck unless you are going to run it on an intended aplication- e.g 16G on mitsubishi etc and even then you get boost creep. If you are modifing boost levels or plumbing or anything like that, I would just stick with external. Some of the performance based internal (integral) gates are ok I guess, but why bother when the money you save on the wastegate is going to be snatched away by the price of the turbo.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: