Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ok I was sitting here quiet until you started picking on the mustangs! You want cheap gauges... buy a mustang like mine then load it up with autometer items. If someone wants value or bang for the buck dont buy a Porsche. The gauge is not that expensive for what it is. I have seen first hand what he has invested in these gauges. All I will say is Dave dont quit your day job bc these wont pay for your toys! Just send me one of those gauges. I think it has too much bling for some people. I think it would match my Ric Flair robe nicely when I drive bling bling I want it for the clean boost gauge alone. The other features are a major plus.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
E-Man, thank you saying that. I am shocked at the turn on this thread and disappointed by some of you on this, especially seeing that I have personally helped many of you on here.

SandMan \Jeff thanks for the humor - needed for sure

I am in full support of C2efforts and will be the next in line. Kudos to you and its a shame that this thread has turned into a level of puerility.

Yasin
Somebody is always shocked about something ehhh?

Puritans, Pilgrims, and women and children, please line up on the right! Ohhh, and unwad your Panties for the Voyage!! We gotta have some modicum of decorum here!!!

Rarly was making a joke, sheesh!!

By the way, $650 for a gauge IS a chunk of change. That was his observation. I want the gauge, it's a deal to me for what it does, and I thought his Joke was funny anyhow.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-14-2008, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokher racing View Post
Ok I was sitting here quiet until you started picking on the mustangs! You want cheap gauges... buy a mustang like mine then load it up with autometer items. If someone wants value or bang for the buck dont buy a Porsche. The gauge is not that expensive for what it is. I have seen first hand what he has invested in these gauges. All I will say is Dave dont quit your day job bc these wont pay for your toys! Just send me one of those gauges. I think it has too much bling for some people. I think it would match my Ric Flair robe nicely when I drive bling bling I want it for the clean boost gauge alone. The other features are a major plus.
WOW! Can I see a side by side Composite with you in your Ric Flair Robe next to Sand_Man offering himself up as a Target on the shooting range! Now that would be something!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT

Last edited by les_garten; 02-14-2008 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokher racing View Post
Ok I was sitting here quiet until you started picking on the mustangs!
Huh? Who?
Didn't see anything bout Tang's ?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post

Rarly was making a joke, sheesh!!

By the way, $650 for a gauge IS a chunk of change. That was his observation. I want the gauge, it's a deal to me for what it does, and I thought his Joke was funny anyhow.

Les
I agree! I read Rarly's post as a joke.

I want that guage...I really do. However, I have other priorities at the moment, and had a hard time justifying the funds for a new gauge when I have a working stand alone Innovate that I use for tuning. Eventually I will pony up the cash and buy this gauge from C2. I guess I was balancing utility.

Now if we were talking about those Fikse FM5s that Joe Mag was selling and I missed out because I was slow with my offer to buy...that's a different story all together! OH THE HYPOCRISY OF IT ALL...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 02-15-2008 at 07:10 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

LOL, wow....This thread took off. I missed my updates, damn.

Bottom line is if you don't like it or can't afford it then don't buy it. Nothing more nothing less. Many of us have spent 300 for a silly boost gauge, this offers far more than just the bling factor. Then when you factor in the labor to do, the gauge faces and so on you can appreciate that it is not that much.

Am I buying one, you bet. In fact I will buy one for both of my cars..The ones I am not selling.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Geesh, note to self--never crack a joke on Pelican.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric86Red911 View Post
Geesh, note to self--never crack a joke on Pelican.

I am thinking its a touch of cabin fever

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Holly Crap This thread went crazy. well it has been a long week but totally worth it I will have some crazy stuff to show you guys first of the week !! I am trying to get the videos an pictures finished

and I would just like to say Thank you to everyone for your support !!!!! we will have a dealer list and Website This week

Thanks David
Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The thing that concerns me about this AFR setup is the fact that you don't seem to be able to force a calibration of the the sensor in free air?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I just thought I would through out a picture of the ProtoType clock gauge
It should be done the end of the week let me know what you guys think

Thanks David
Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

These are by far the funniest posts I have ever read! I hadn't read this thread, before, and started at the last post, tonight, since I knew the thread was somewhat dated, but found myself restarting from the front to capture all the humor. I guess Pmen are just frustrated stand up comedians. Too bad the writer's strike is over. Everyone could have seen Pmen at work on Jay Leno.

And Sand man! At least I know where my missing socks are!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

C2turbo- those look bad@ss,
I could already see the data flowing accross the screens as the car runs through the gears- Hell of a product there David.

Now Eric needs one in his car...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-27-2008, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Can you dim the LED readout on these gauges?
To me they seem too bright for night driving. Way brighter than the pleasent amber glow of the origonal analog gauges and Innovate G3 AFR gauge, and that would be annoying or distracting to some people at night.

When I was researching AFR gauge kits a few months ago I heard that Innovate electronics are superior and more stable than the lower cost PLX electronics from several people that have used both... I have not compared them though.

Also heard that these digital and analog AFR gauges are actually 0-5 volt voltmeters.
If thats true than would the Innovate LC-1 power one of your gauges?

I think it's great thing you've made here.
Nicely done from what I can see in the pics.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Can you dim the LED readout on these gauges?
To me they seem too bright for night driving. Way brighter than the pleasent amber glow of the origonal analog gauges and Innovate G3 AFR gauge, and that would be annoying or distracting to some people at night.

When I was researching AFR gauge kits a few months ago I heard that Innovate electronics are superior and more stable than the lower cost PLX electronics from several people that have used both... I have not compared them though.

Also heard that these digital and analog AFR gauges are actually 0-5 volt voltmeters.
If thats true than would the Innovate LC-1 power one of your gauges?

I think it's great thing you've made here.
Nicely done from what I can see in the pics.
All wideband AFR gauges are 0-5 v Voltmeters. Your O2 sensor puts out voltage and you tell your EFI system what AFR to display for a given voltage. If using a gauge, it is designed to work with a specific sensor and "Knows" the voltage to AFR conversion.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

The Lights in the gauge are stock so you can use them as a reference. what you are seeing is the reflection off the glass is causing a glare in the pictures, I will get some better pictures Soon.

as far as PLX I have about 10 sensors in my car Dual AFRs /dual EGT's/ AIT in/out boost/vac and a few sensors that we are beta testing. we have tested the readings against a 5 gas analyzer/ and other gauges and They are always within a tenth of a point. I have sold over 50 of theses AFR widebands in the last 3 months with zero returns or issues. We also sell Innovate's complete product line but I can not say the same for them. We had a slew of sensors
come back that Innovate says must be an end user issue.

I am not saying that one is better than the other, only what I have seen in the field

Thanks David
Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

When you say you had a slew of the sensors come back, do you mean the wideband O2 sensor that screws into the exhaust pipe?

Bosch makes the wideband sensor, not Innovate or PLX, and last I checked PLX sells the Bosch Sensor with their kit so they would be the same.

NGK also makes a wideband O2 sensor, but I have only seen it sold with the NGK AFR gauge kit.

As far as the illumination goes, you say it's stock.
Not sure what you mean there... LED's or 'light emmitting diodes' create their own illumination.
I have seen previous pictures and video's of these in the last month or 2 and it's not reflections or abberations I'm seeing...
LED's are alot brighter than the 4 watt incadescent bulb illumination that is lighting the VDO guage bezels and analog needles in the stock gauge.

My question is, can you dim the brightness of the LED display electronically?

If not, I guess you could install a thin layer of nuetral density gel like is sometimes used on photographic lights or camera lenses over the display to dim it down to match the rest of the instuments.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Ok all good ?'s

1 we have had 6-7 inovate (Bosch) sensors go bad in customers cars where the sensors start reading leaner than the actual reading, Inovate finally cam back and said they had an issue with a large batch of sensor's and the open air Calibration.

2 The Stock lights I was referring to are the stock warning lights in the clock as a reference to the glare and brightness.

3 The OLCD screen is not dimmable but you are able to change the colors of the gauge ticks , #'s and needles to a darker color on the color pallet and you will have the effect of dimming the output by about 40% by using a darker color ( this is all done through the menu rather quickly.

I am working on some HD video this week and from first glance it looks allot better. pic's and video do not do the display justice because of the glass ( and I take horrible pics )

Sorry for the confusion
David
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
When you say you had a slew of the sensors come back, do you mean the wideband O2 sensor that screws into the exhaust pipe?

Bosch makes the wideband sensor, not Innovate or PLX, and last I checked PLX sells the Bosch Sensor with their kit so they would be the same.

NGK also makes a wideband O2 sensor, but I have only seen it sold with the NGK AFR gauge kit.

As far as the illumination goes, you say it's stock.
Not sure what you mean there... LED's or 'light emmitting diodes' create their own illumination.
I have seen previous pictures and video's of these in the last month or 2 and it's not reflections or abberations I'm seeing...
LED's are alot brighter than the 4 watt incadescent bulb illumination that is lighting the VDO guage bezels and analog needles in the stock gauge.

My question is, can you dim the brightness of the LED display electronically?

If not, I guess you could install a thin layer of nuetral density gel like is sometimes used on photographic lights or camera lenses over the display to dim it down to match the rest of the instuments.
He's talking about the other lights in the "Clock" around the periphery of the bezel.

I talked to PLX about the dimming issue. I think more people should call them about this. They don't see the need. One of the reasons why I specifically called was to put a bug in their ear. My impression, they need more bugs in their ear. I also wanted to keep the burner hot for a Fuel pressure module, another needed bug in their ear.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2turbo View Post
Ok all good ?'s

1 we have had 6-7 inovate (Bosch) sensors go bad in customers cars where the sensors start reading leaner than the actual reading, Inovate finally cam back and said they had an issue with a large batch of sensor's and the open air Calibration.

2 The Stock lights I was referring to are the stock warning lights in the clock as a reference to the glare and brightness.

3 The OLCD screen is not dimmable but you are able to change the colors of the gauge ticks , #'s and needles to a darker color on the color pallet and you will have the effect of dimming the output by about 40% by using a darker color ( this is all done through the menu rather quickly.

I am working on some HD video this week and from first glance it looks allot better. pic's and video do not do the display justice because of the glass ( and I take horrible pics )

Sorry for the confusion
David
Hello Davig,
Your Pictures will expose better if there are more light sources lit up on your dash. You could also dim the outside the car lights a little. Or shoot outside where more light will flood the interior of the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: