Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Parts washer ideas

I'm looking for a recirculating parts washer and was wondering if any of you out there have had good luck with a certain brand. I checked out SnapOn website and the price was unbelievably high. I'd like to spend less than a grand and I'd like it to be the type that has the brush connected to the solvent hose. Any input would be appreciated. I've searched under "parts washer" and came up with a few threads where people are using dishwashers- I really would rather go the traditional route.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I got one of these last year and it's been great. I think a lot of places sell this model. I got mine off Ebay,...but here it is on Northerntool.com

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_9030_9030

It does'nt show the brush & hose in the pic,...but mine came with them.

Last edited by moochie; 02-14-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a $50 free standing until from northern tool, with the brush hose, and i'm running mineral spirits in it. works like a charm!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'll second the cheapy one's. I think I paid $99 for mine. The only problem I've had is the pump switch broke, but it was a standard switch so $1 later I was good to again.

A bigger problem is solvent. I like Varsol or the equivelant but it can be hard find.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys. I went with one from Northern Tools and bought some of their "monster concentrated solvent"- not sure if it works as well as Varsol or mineral spirits..we'll see. Once again, thanks for the replies- I was afraid I may not get any responses as my post did not contain any complex, "fun" topics.

Last edited by jay71; 02-17-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I have a cheap Northern Tool unit. I put a longer nipple on the flex hose for more room. I run Simple Green in mine, which I dilute with water. That stuff is pretty good on removing oils, etc. I put a splash of Clorox in it once in a while, and when it gets real dirty, I dispose of the solution, clean the tub and pump, and refill.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Be careful what solvent/concentration you use. Some cleaners are not good for aluminum. I like mineral spirits b/c it is good for all kinds of metals, and it doesn't leave any residue. Just be careful you don't use spirits in an expensive parts cleaner that isn't rated for it. I have already been through one pump, but they are cheaper than most of my parts that could be damaged by other solvents, so I'm not concerned

Do a search on the boards. there is a plethora of info on the subject. I spent a good hour on here searching before I made my decision. Only the best for my first child!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-16-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
Be careful what solvent/concentration you use. Some cleaners are not good for aluminum. I like mineral spirits b/c it is good for all kinds of metals, and it doesn't leave any residue. Just be careful you don't use spirits in an expensive parts cleaner that isn't rated for it. I have already been through one pump, but they are cheaper than most of my parts that could be damaged by other solvents, so I'm not concerned

Do a search on the boards. there is a plethora of info on the subject. I spent a good hour on here searching before I made my decision. Only the best for my first child!
Good points John- I'll do a little research before filling with solvent. The brand Norther Tool sells says it has a substance which prevents "flash rusting"- but I don't think it says anything about aluminum. I'll see if the pump can work with Mineral Spirits.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: