Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

purchase advice

Hi,
I am looking at a 86 930 with over 110K miles. Asking price is below 30K. Car seemed to be in solid mechanical condition will all records from the original owner.
Only items I see are small. Interior is probably a 6/10 (small things like one rear jump seat doesn't latch), HVAC knobs come off (one is missing). But all items work, HVAC is good, seat good, etc...
Paint appears to be original and in a condition you would expect from a car driven over 100K miles. Only problem I see is a small rust bubble beneath the paint inside the rain gutter on the passenger a-pillar.

Would appreciate your advice. I do not mind small projects, but at this time in my life, I do not have the time for large ones.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Seems high for those miles and defects. A friend I sold this one to 3-4 years ago (third owner ) .It now has 62 K miles. really well serviced with none of the problems you noted. Wants to move on. Never even had any oil leaks or wet driving and has placed well at Concours. Recent service w Syncros, tires, battery, wheel bearings. Perfect oiriginal exhaust, paint,engine bay, unmarked tools and pouch perfect original perlon in storage areas. White/ Can Can red leather. Aircraft mechanic/Pilot 2nd owner for many years. He says $28,000 gets it.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-17-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

voitureltd - sent pm
Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The Red int may be the reason for the low price. It would be one helluva deal for me to consider it with a red int. Juse MO of course. A lot of people don't mind a red int, but I'm not a big fan. White doesn't bother me though.....
Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurhip View Post
Hi,
I am looking at a 86 930 with over 110K miles. Asking price is below 30K. Car seemed to be in solid mechanical condition will all records from the original owner.
Only items I see are small. Interior is probably a 6/10 (small things like one rear jump seat doesn't latch), HVAC knobs come off (one is missing). But all items work, HVAC is good, seat good, etc...
Paint appears to be original and in a condition you would expect from a car driven over 100K miles. Only problem I see is a small rust bubble beneath the paint inside the rain gutter on the passenger a-pillar.

Would appreciate your advice. I do not mind small projects, but at this time in my life, I do not have the time for large ones.

Thanks
I've been watching all TURBOS on ebay and Craigs list for about 2 months. Mid-miles (50K) are asking $30-35K but bids are not getting that high and they go unsold. Most offered at higher miles do sell for $25K but usually have much more than that in them due to a motor rebuild costs and upgrades.
Slant noses and CABs are coming out, presumably to cash out before the fall but I never see them sell because the asking price is over $40-45. Usually the bid stops at the conditions above for coupes.
A P-Car engine builder tells me all TURBOS need some level of engine work so bid accordingly.
Due for major engine work, even $25K is too much for this one.

Last edited by copbait73; 02-18-2008 at 05:45 AM..
Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I was following a string regarding IROC clone prices and it drifted off to general Porsche 911 pricing (excluding some 964 and most 993). One comment made that keeps ringing true is that most Porsches that are drivable are worth $20K, plus or minus $5K. Appeal and mechanical condition sway the pricing up or down and optional aftermarket additions rarely recover any of the owners investment.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
I've been watching all TURBOS on ebay and Craigs list for about 2 months. Mid-miles (50K) are asking $30-35K but bids are not getting that high and they go unsold. Most offered at higher miles do sell for $25K but usually have much more than that in them due to a motor rebuild costs and upgrades.
Slant noses and CABs are coming out, presumably to cash out before the fall but I never see them sell because the asking price is over $40-45. Usually the bid stops at the conditions above for coupes.
A P-Car engine builder tells me all TURBOS need some level of engine work so bid accordingly.
Due for major engine work, even $25K is too much for this one.
The major contributer of horror stories associated with 930 repair are grey market 1980 to 1985 with major repair expences from the first few thousand miles on, possible. Other contributing factors are use on congested streets/freeways especially with the air conditioning on, infrequent oil changes and service to vacuum lines and valve adjustment,playing with the boost pressure on stock motor etc. A properly driven/serviced 930 turbo will go way over 100K with minimal expence. Assuming all turbos need work may be akin to giving the cat the keys to the canary cage. Choose a shop that specializes in 930 for prepurchase and a car previously owned by a Porsche affectionado with knowledge of careful service, history & use.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-18-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: