Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
How much is this 930 Worth?

Hey guys,

I am new here and looking into getting a 930 very soon. The one I am looking at is an 88 model (silver/grey) in what seems to be excellent mechanical condition. It has a very extensive set of service records, it has all of the required maintenence completed, and is a one owner car with 82K. It drives very well and seems to be super-tight. All the elecrical stuff works fine and the AC blows cold. It is bone-stock except for the wheels (chromed turbo-twists which I am not too fond of). The only issue is that it is not the cleanest car I have seen (I think that a thorough detailing job will bring the interior to 95% like new though), and it has some paint imperfections, namely an 8 in by 20 in section on the front fender that was wet-sanded but never buffed back out. There are no dings and I couldn't find any obvious rust.

The dirty interior/paint/wheels are not really a big issue for me as I think that it shouldn't cost more than $2K to get all of that where I would want it to be. I don't have any pics or else I would post them, but with the info I have given here, what do you guys think this car is worth? I think that $24K is a fair offer to put forward...am I thinking too high, too low, or in the right range? Thanks in advance, Jon

Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I think that you'd be ill-advised to offer any money without a PPI - including a leakdown test - from a well-regarded Porsche independent that both knows 930's and doesn't work on the car for the current owner.

Sounds like it's worth taking for one, though.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Thanks for the advice. I looked through the records and it had just had (like 2 months ago) a leak-down test and compression test (I saw the results but can't remember what the numbers were, although I do remember them all being very close... the mech said the results were very good). What are good numbers for this car as I can always look at the records when I go to see it again?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

1+ on the PPI the car could range in value $15K to Mid $30's K depending on the mechanical condition. These cars can be real risky if you buy a car that needs lots of work and you pay top dollar. Find a good P-car mechanic to go over the car. A $300 PPI could save you 10's of thousands. I would not buy with out a pre purchase inspection.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think your about spot on. 24k to 27k for a 88 930 in sound condition. If the body is sound structurally no rust, good paint and a decent interior but say no history mechanically Id try for 23ish. But this car being a 88 thats probably not gonna fly. Id not be surprised to hear that the seller has something just south of 30k in his mind. This car being a 88 wont be had for under 20k no matter what the mechanical condition barring catastrophic mechanical problems.

However I would try to bring up the non factory wheels. I havent checked the price of real fuchs lately but I think there something like $800 (new) a wheel.

Last edited by tonypeoni; 02-20-2008 at 12:59 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Thanks for the input. The body is def straight and solid. I couldn't find any dings or dents, just some minor paint issues that I think can be taken care of without a respray. As I said, the maintenence history is very thorough (at least an inch thick folder), it just isn't in immaculate condition looks-wise, although it is by no means beat. Good thought on using the wheels as a negotiating point...the chromed turbo twists just look out of place on it, and I'd def have to change that out.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Even with the issues, I think a one owner with full records car would bring a little more. Maybe as much as $30K so don't be surprised if he doesn't like the $24K offer, but I'd start there anyway.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
If it's cherry I"m thinking 30k is fair, it would be a steal for mid 20s PPI dependant of course . what color ( black brings a couple k more IMHO).
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Assuming the engine passes the PPI, I think you're spot on at $24K, If he thinks it's worth more, pass on it he's not keeping up with the market. You have a choice of many clean ones from $25k-$30K in today's market.
If you can, shop until this fall. By then everyone will know we are in recession and you'll find the car you want for less than $25K.
Hope you have a job to pay for it.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Assuming the engine passes the PPI, I think you're spot on at $24K, If he thinks it's worth more, pass on it he's not keeping up with the market. You have a choice of many clean ones from $25k-$30K in today's market.
If you can, shop until this fall. By then everyone will know we are in recession and you'll find the car you want for less than $25K.
Hope you have a job to pay for it.

Yeah that was the case 4 years ago. Two things here #1 its a late model 930 which is going to pull a premium over the 70s era 930s. #2 and probably more important I'm almost afraid to say this but 930 prices seem to finally be on the rise(knock on wood). I don't know if this is do to the euro/dollar thing. Ive watched the median price of 930s jump 5k over the past 3 years. The top end of the market seems to be somewhere around 50K (less than 20k miles concours car). I watch ebay for fun 930 listing have went from a average of 15 listings down to 11.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___porsche-930_W0QQMake247a0eZPorsche4bd8b000QQ_nkwZporscheQ2 0930QQ_catZ6001QQ_fxdZ1QQ_pcatsZ6000

Last edited by tonypeoni; 02-21-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeoni View Post
Yeah that was the case 4 years ago. Two things here #1 its a late model 930 which is going to pull a premium over the 70s era 930s. #2 and probably more important I'm almost afraid to say this but 930 prices seem to finally be on the rise(knock on wood). I don't know if this is do to the euro/dollar thing. Ive watched the median price of 930s jump 5k over the past 3 years. The top end of the market seems to be somewhere around 50K (less than 20k miles concours car). I watch ebay for fun 930 listing have went from average of 15 listings down to 11.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___porsche-930_W0QQMake247a0eZPorsche4bd8b000QQ_nkwZporscheQ2 0930QQ_catZ6001QQ_fxdZ1QQ_pcatsZ6000
Agree, but don't forget to see the closings. Very few of those over $30K are being sold. I can't remember the list time a consignment car actually sold. Owners, a few.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, where are the buyers for $50K Turbos?
Check this auction close, $50K and ZERO bids. Usually a car like this will have over 2500 views before the close.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270212503654&rd=1
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Update:

Made an offer for $24K and they accepted! Going to look at it one more time, look over the records again, and make sure it makes sense to pull the trigger. Any advice (outside of getting a PPI which I will probably do) on what to look for? Thanks for all of your help.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Valve Guides.. If it smokes for longer than 2 minuets on startup thats probably not a good sign. Also listen for excessive valve train noise. A click click click at reasonable disable after warm up is OK. But a tap tap tap is a bad sign. I forgot what cylinder # but on turbos these valves are always the first to go out of adjustment. Also check under the car for evidence of the car being placed on lift and improperly lifted. Tire change places are really bad about damaging the undercarriage of these cars.

Last edited by tonypeoni; 02-22-2008 at 07:42 AM..
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Update:

Made an offer for $24K and they accepted! Going to look at it one more time, look over the records again, and make sure it makes sense to pull the trigger. Any advice (outside of getting a PPI which I will probably do) on what to look for? Thanks for all of your help.
Look for everything !

It will be thing that you are not looking for that will make you hemorrhage cash after you buy it. $24 K is a good deal for a straight car.
It's hard to keep the emotions out of the transaction. Turn over every rock.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Couple of things I looked for when I bought mine.

Gauges being clocked
Drilled holes in the rear fender wells and floorboard
Sunroof working
If your in CA, Smog..Smog..Smog (Make sure it's all there)
Grinding going into 2nd gear
Hard to shift into 1st gear

Otherwise nice find and great price! Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Update:

Glad to hear they accepted $24K. Now I know my deal is still out there somewhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: