Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hey! pipe down!

lol you guys are going nuts.

Im a classic lover myself. Im a little dissapointed my no.s dont match so I feel like my engine is the bastard child which im going to abuse! lol

But it is a viable alternative for other 911's, to "strap on" turbos.

Early kits were a joke and only screwed up your engine. These days there much better. But the compression has to be right and If im not mistaken the compression on my 911S engine is 9. something which, last time I looked it up, is too high to make a reliable conversion.

heres a newer strap on:

http://www.dtmpower.co.za/forums/showthread.php?t=1287

Yea doesnt look good after a short search. oh well.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Les!! Is that you in that Girl Scout's uniform? lol
Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Maluminse : Ultimate Strap On

Here is one of 3 V8s I have built in past - if you are going to go freak this is a fun project. Works pretty well but will always be shuned by Porsche cats. This last one I built 4 years ago and was "just for fun". A fellow in Malaysia made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I shipped it off. I have had three 930s and numerous 911s over the years (Have my best ever 930 now - 1979) and think the V8 conversion makes for an equally if not better performing hot rod. Some V8 914s are quite awesome. Blinding acceleration and sprint-car like driving characteristics. But, they are no longer Porsche. Sorta' like the ultimate strap on. Anyhow, I have been called some pretty evil and nasty names on this fourm and can guarantee if you were ever to go the conversion route you too will be the red haired step child. EPS - Tucson
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -

Last edited by e p slick; 02-23-2008 at 07:13 AM..
Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
Les!! Is that you in that Girl Scout's uniform? lol
No, that was me being attacked by Lascivious Girl Scouts!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by e p slick View Post
Here is one of 3 V8s I have built in past - if you are going to go freak this is a fun project. Works pretty well but will always be shuned by Porsche cats. This last one I built 4 years ago and was "just for fun". A fellow in Malaysia made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I shipped it off. I have had three 930s and numerous 911s over the years (Have my best ever 930 now - 1979) and think the V8 conversion makes for an equally if not better performing hot rod. Some V8 914s are quite awesome. Blinding acceleration and sprint-car like driving characteristics. But, they are no longer Porsche. Sorta' like the ultimate strap on. Anyhow, I have been called some pretty evil and nasty names on this fourm and can guarantee if you were ever to go the conversion route you too will be the red haired step child. EPS - Tucson

As my BFF would say, Thats Hot!!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
AAAAHHHHHH the TRUTH comes out!!!

Slick pokes fun and puts a funny pic up of a "turbo" and its allll out now!

lol Slick too funny.

so any conversion is possible.

@Les your 930 is triikkked out! I dont even know what half of the things in ur sig are. 2 questions

1) how much did all that run you on your 85 930?
2) quarter mile? top speed?
3) you own a shop im guessing.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluminse View Post

@Les your 930 is triikkked out! I dont even know what half of the things in ur sig are. 2 questions

1) how much did all that run you on your 85 930?
2) quarter mile? top speed?
3) you own a shop im guessing.
Hi,
I think I have $25-35K in Parts, afraid to add it up! There's a lot of other crap in there like SS braided lines, SS fan strap, SS engine mount bar, etc.

Have not dyno'd yet. Blew Head Gasket while tuning 3 weeks ago, so it comes apart again.

My buddy had a shop and let me have a stall for two months with a lift.

Looks like this time It will be done in my garage!

If you want to see the motor click on the rebuild PIX link when you have a good broadband connection and a lot of time. The Pix are large and very detailed, and there's lots of them.

Les
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Quote:
Im rebuilding my 911s. My numbers dont match so Id thought Id tweek her a bit if possible or I may just restore.

Im pretty sure b/c of the high compression of my 2.2 that turbos are out b/c it would blow the engine in short order. True?

recommend?

thoughts?

free pizza?

Dare I bring this thread back to the original topic ... I'm always up for free pizza, but turbo'ing an early S without significant internal mods would make for a very finicky and short-lived engine for several reasons:
- I think the compression on those engines is more like 9.8:1. It's bad enough getting them to not detonate on pump gas without a turbo ...
- those early mag crankcases are just waiting to fail when you modify the engine in any substantial way
- tuning mechanical fuel injection is a bit of a hassle even when the engine is normally aspirated. With a turbo it would be ugly.
- The cam profiles on the early S motors in particular were pretty hot profiles with lots of overlap. I am thinking that they wouldn't work too well in a turbo motor.

Still, it would be fun, wouldn't it?

Scott
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
Dare I bring this thread back to the original topic ... I'm always up for free pizza, but turbo'ing an early S without significant internal mods would make for a very finicky and short-lived engine for several reasons:
- I think the compression on those engines is more like 9.8:1. It's bad enough getting them to not detonate on pump gas without a turbo ...
- those early mag crankcases are just waiting to fail when you modify the engine in any substantial way
- tuning mechanical fuel injection is a bit of a hassle even when the engine is normally aspirated. With a turbo it would be ugly.
- The cam profiles on the early S motors in particular were pretty hot profiles with lots of overlap. I am thinking that they wouldn't work too well in a turbo motor.

Still, it would be fun, wouldn't it?

Scott
yea would be a screamer for a day or so it sounds like. 9.8:1 wow higher than I thought. good times. thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Les put this link where your rebuild is:

http://www.justlikeed.net/StripDir/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesgarten.com%2Fpix%2Fporsch e%2F&btnSubmStrip=Strip%21&tn=1&maxpp=50

Its a strip dir site. strips open directories. easy viewing less clicking.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Hey Les put this link where your rebuild is:

http://www.justlikeed.net/StripDir/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesgarten.com%2Fpix%2Fporsch e%2F&btnSubmStrip=Strip%21&tn=1&maxpp=50

Its a strip dir site. strips open directories. easy viewing less clicking.
Hi,
Interesting link there. I need to edit some of these and thumbnail them all on a page. Been meaning to do that.

Thanx!
Les
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: