Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
When I was looking for a factory slant, I truly wanted to find one some distance away so that I could take that "trip of a lifetime" that so many of the guys refer to in their recollections of the first part of ownership. I found one back east...actually one of Sloane's cars, but it was a bit outside of my budget....so I hunted in earnest....every evening perusing the internet and every known Porsche forum, Craigslist, eBay, Hemmings, DuPont and more. I actually would sit and think about the drive back from some location in Oklahoma or Wisconsin....then one night at 1 AM I found it thru a new ad in Craigslist....and bought it..... a concours level factory slantnose convertible....covered up for several years in a private garage...three miles from my house. So my fantasy drive home covered maybe ten miles of detours in a very indirect route back home. I drove that car almost 5K miles in the first 8 months of ownership....but never did get my fantasy drive. Take advantage of this opportunity to do something that like you'll probably never do again. Like Voit said...put the smile on your face and enjoy pulling into a diner or a rest stop and sitting next to the window watching all the folks walk by and stop to admire YOUR car. If you do decide to drive it....make sure you tell us how many compliments you got on the drive back...give us a count.

All the best of times are ahead of you.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Ohhhh yeah, do the drive!

Just the talk of it brings fond memories.
I bought a custom dually tow vehicle a couple years back and made an event of it.. Found the truck on ebay, no sale, haggled a month and as luck would have it I had business trip to KC, MO. Had a 2hr layover for the return trip.. the guy met me at the Airport, I checked -out the vehicle.. went to his bank, did the transfer got the title and he let me borrow his tags.

I left KC, MO on a Thursday headed east back to MD just outside of DC!... Oh, did I mention that this happened to be F1 weekend in INDY? Called my bud in Kansas, who happened to be in INDY and suggested that I stop by as they had room and extra tickets!.. Needless to say the weekend was a blast and I was on my way again Sunday eve.... let me tell ya the truckers on 40E and 70E dont F*@-K around .. I pushed 80-85 most of that trip east and they blew by me like I was standing still! Nice trip, pretty uneventful other than a ruptured trans cooler line and that happened the next day after arriving home.

Ok, so I know it's not a Porsche, however my point was just how much fun a trip like that can be.

On the other hand, I've had a couple of my cars moved by carrier to various events over the last couple of years for the sake of time.
You can figure minimum $1500-$2k enclosed from where your purchase is located to get it to you. Open will be $1000- $1500... prices could be a little off based on the current changes in fuel cost and the fact that my last transport was probably this time last year.

Give me a holler if you want me to post some carrier contact info....

Will post pics of the dually run later on..

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Drive it home!

It will be the road trip of your life!
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
You guys are the equivalent of the little devil sitting on my shoulder! Against all the "Drive it" crowd I think I am going to ship her. Not only will it be cheaper, but the thing that put me over the top was the tires, wet roads and Michelin Sport Cup tires are not the best of friends! As I found at Laguna Seca last year!
But here are a few more pictures...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Drive it home and enjoy a ride of a life time!!!!!!! I live in Virginia and was bi-coastal for a few years and the trip coast to coast is life changing. Cut over to Hwy 40 run through Memphis- stop at Belle street and listen to the blues- run through Little Rock and pick up Hwy 30. Cruise into Dallas and stop again for lunch and pick up Hwy 20. Then enjoy 16 hours of Texas driving. Out in the desert you will pick up Hwy 10 and run through Texas valley that has rocks balancing in mid air. Cruise through El Paso and get a burrito, cruise up to Phoenix and out to Palm Springs and pit stop again. then into LA and turn left or right depending on where you are going.. The ride is from Green Appalachian and Smokey mountains, through the low lands in Memphis and into the Deserts.

I have run the Hwy 40 east to Flagstaff Az then cut down 17 to pick up 10 in Phoenix. It's a beautiful ride but 40 will beat you to hell in Oklahoma for hours. You also run the risk of Mega snow over the continental divide, in Albuquerque NM and in Flagstaff Az... nothing like doing 80mph through the desert and suddenly out of nowhere crossing a "line in the sand" into 2 ft of snow- Happened to me on one trip, almost ditched it...

Hwy 40 to 30 to 20 to 10 will keep you out of bad whether and still is a fun...IMHO

HWY 20 and 10 from Fort Stockton Texas to almost LA is a blast to drive. You can see forever and can enjoy some speed with a higher level of safety alone in the desert, just remember to kill the jack rabbit and do not try to swerve and miss it.

I loved my runs from VA to Benicia Ca and wish a day might come I could do it again!!

Funny thing for me- my back never hurt like it did in the SUV and the adrenaline always kept me awake- GO FOR THE DRIVE!-

Sorry for the long post- Mike
Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with the drive it crowd. Chuck Jones summed it up really well. I drove mine 1000miles home after I landed in St. Paul, Minnesota.

I was fortunate (depending on how you look at it) enough to have some bad luck with the shipping company and they were dicking me around. I decided to take that money and spend it on a plane ticket and expenses to bring 'er home.

It was the second Porsche I had ever driven, and to be honest, I only had 5 mins of seat time in a Porsche the first time!

I remember VIVIDLY the entire trip. The PO picked me up at the airport and my heart never stopped (had nothing to do with the PO owner). When he opened the garage door...I couldn't believe that this beautiful piece of engineering was mine. We went for lunch and I was on my way after that. I giggled and smiled ALL the way home. My two biggest items were 1) those flare rear fenders peering out at me in the side view mirrors. I have goose bumps just thinking about this again. 2) I kept slowing down and speeding up to feel that onset rush of BOOST. That was so much fun. Ironically, that is the one and only time I had the car at what they claim is the top speed for it! What a rush.

It was an awesome trip. I should show you a picture of when I got home! My wife took a picture and I look like the biggest goof with a smile ear to ear like a 10 year old kid! It was/is my first Porsche.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

All of the above posts,well said! I have had many 930s from my excessive compulsive desires over the years and to this day will jump at the chance to drive home with one of my own or one I have found for a client that does not have the time for an adventure to do it. The worst that can happen is you have to have it trucked back mid trip. What may go wrong will happen no matter what. The benifits, on my scale, definatly outweigh the down side in a area of the world that the weather is reasonable, your in good health ( may be a limiting factor in the future ) and you can afford the time. The credible pros in the forum feedback outweigh the cons. Remember you did ask for opinions. Besides all of this a couple of thousand miles to clear it out will be good for it. After all they need some hyway miles to strech out and get in the groove after being bestowed with all of those great upgrades.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-26-2008 at 07:17 PM..
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Dam*, that's a beautiful car, Quicky. You are one lucky boy!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
nice car...congrats on finding it and having the balls to pull the trigger!

now call interstate and have them pick it up clean and enjoy it when it comes off the trailer clean and ready to rage!!!

a nice car you will not regret.

btw, if you ever have an issue w/ smog...send me a p.m. and i will give you a real alternative.

best,

peter
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I am jealous... How cocky do those painted speedlines look on that car?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I bought my slant from a guy in Providence, RI. I negotiated with him over the phone for over 2-months, and really figured it would sell to someone else the whole time. I was planning on spending Christmas in Pittsburgh, (my parents' wanted the grandkids there) so I told the PO on the Fri. before we drove from Atl. to Pgh. that if he hadn't sold the car by Mon., I'd fly to Providence from Pgh., and look at it.

The east coast got blitzed with snow on Sat. as we drove up there, and as such, the 3 potential buyers (that he said were coming to see the car) never showed. On Monday, I bought a plane ticket (RT with a return flight 2 days later), got a bank check fed ex'd to me, and by Wed. I was in Providence. I met the PO at his shop after a $40 cab ride, drove the car a bit, and bought it. I left Providence at 12 noonon Wed., and made it to Pgh. by ~8:00 that night - the weather was not too bad and the roads were clear, and I took my time.

Christmas was the following Sat., and my cousin and I took the Slant to a Steeler game (vs. the Ravens) on Sun. after Christmas. We drove back to Atl. in the middle of the following week. It was a ~ 2wk stretch that I will still think about when they plant me.....

Last edited by kellcats521; 02-28-2008 at 07:26 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Nice story KC. I smiled after I read it. Do you have any photos of the car you can share? Thanks,

Geoff
Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
Nice story KC. I smiled after I read it. Do you have any photos of the car you can share? Thanks,

Geoff
Here is one....
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Way nice, KC! Really beautiful. I visited a friend in Buck(head?) for a few days and went to the NASCAR race and played golf. Had the best steak I have ever had (by far!) near his house at some ritzy steak restaurant. You live near buckhead? Thanks for sharing the pic. Geoff
Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Certifiable

Don't hate me guys! But I decided to ship it...
I loved the stories, and the memories will last you forever, for that I am jealous! But I would have to make the trip and 2 days give or take (no time to stop and smell the roses so to speak) and I just decided I was not up to the stress or sleep deprivation of it!
Not that I am not stressing... I did just spend 29k on a car that I have never driven, or even seen in person... Cross our fingers!
I will post plenty more pictures as soon as she sets tire in California!
As well as the follow up on all the other particulars.
Stand By!!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Certifiable

By the way...
Pat your Slant is gorgeous!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Way to Go Mr Silver! I'll bet from now until that truck rolls up to your house will seem like an eternity...but even better than when the Brown Santa rolls up with another box of goodies ordered off the Internet.

Now...let me share a true story...and I hate to do this but I think about it every time I hear about shipping a car and it's actually pretty funny. My buddy in Maryland bought a 70's Trans Am (Cannonball Run Style) from a guy in Arizona. Took almost a month before the car showed up at his house. Guy gets out of the truck and my buddy is checking out the car....with that little kid at Christmas look on his face. Minutes away from having it in his driveway and firing it up for the first time. Truck driver starts unloading the car and it's above the cab of the truck...somehow it rolls off the truck and crashes over the hood of the truck and onto the ground. Everyone is pretty stunned obviously...to hear him tell the story is a crackup.

Guy somehow manages to get the car to the ground and pushes it into my buddies driveway and calls the owner of the trucking company. Owner is a #@#^$# and tells the driver to get the check. My buddies like.....'are you effing kidding me?' He gets into it with the guy on the phone and the guy threatens to send someone to his house...you know like a Guido(sp) type...anyhow somehow he worked it out and found another one 6 months later...but a priceless story nonetheless.

So Quick....congrats and that isn't going to happen to you but it seemed like the right and wrong time to tell the story all at the same time!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
Way nice, KC! Really beautiful. I visited a friend in Buck(head?) for a few days and went to the NASCAR race and played golf. Had the best steak I have ever had (by far!) near his house at some ritzy steak restaurant. You live near buckhead? Thanks for sharing the pic. Geoff
Dude, you want a good steak.... you gotta try'em in Kansas City Kansas, or KC, MO.. no them boys do steak right! Uh, that was dinner and lunch on the first leg of my trip back east!

Ok.. way off topic, sorry!
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 02-29-2008 at 06:28 AM..
Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
Don't hate me guys! But I decided to ship it...
I did just spend 29k on a car that I have never driven, or even seen in person... Cross our fingers!

Quicksilver, congrats on your purchase of what looks like a really nice ride!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it and welcome to the Pleasure Dome!!

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

FWIW, GA has emissions inspections also.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: