Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Should I take the plunge on this one?

Fellow Pelicans,
I come before you to ask your opinion on the following 930. I live in CA and will have to do some work to get it "legal" in my state, as the car currently resides in Atlanta, GA.
Here is the low down. It has 90k on the clock, is a 2-3 owner car and has a lot of mods as listed below by the current owner:
Quote:
1987 Porsche 930. I have owned the car for the past nine years. It has been meticulously maintained. Everything works, and there are no stories or problems with the vehicle. All of the work and modifications listed have been performed by a professional Porsche mechanic since I have owned it. No corners have been cut with any of the mods. I have receipts for all work done.

Engine completely rebuilt with new cylinders and pistons at 77,796 miles
Displacement increased to 3.4 L
Kokeln intercooler
GHL stainless headers
Borla stainless single outlet muffler
SC cams
Powerflow intake with cone style air filter
Andial fuel enrichment system
1 Bar spring in wastegate
Gearbox has been rebuilt
Sachs aluminum clutch at 85,743 miles
Aluminum flywheel at 85,743 miles
Bilstein Sport shocks
Adjustable heavy duty rear sway bar
Weltmeister front shock brace
Lowered and corner balanced
18" 3.6 Turbo, 3 piece wheels, powder coated black with colored crests
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires
Momo "Race" steering wheel
Momo shift knob
Aluminum pedals
Factory power Sport seats
Over $30K in receipts

This care looks and performs absolutely great. I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving it over the years. I am ready to move on to something else.
End Quote

Additionally, the owner states that the paint is still glossy, although you really can not tell from most of the pictures, there have been no accidents, although there has been some paint work. And he swears I will not be disappointed upon seeing the car.
I am going to receive faxed copies of all the major services come Monday just to verify, and I have already contacted the shop which performed the services, and although it is a while ago they say that the car was in great shape the last time they saw it, and that there were no cut corners in the rebuilds.
The car will be scheduled for a PPI this coming week at Hennessy Porsche. The tentative deal is roughly $30k upon passing PPI and then my personal inspection upon flying out to collect the car.
What do you all think? If you have any other questions or would like any other relevant information please let me know and I will see if I can fish it out.

Well? What do you think?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Seems like a good deal if the car checks out. I have seen the car (for sale ad) somewhere a a while back it's modded nicely. Good luck, post some pics if it works out.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

If all the work is still in good order its a real cheap date. I wonder how much longer it will be until the masses realize there is a better life waiting with performance Porsche models,930 in particular , now that Ferrari, Aston,vintage race eligible muscle cars and some (lesser ) developed Porsche performance models have all gone to the moon. I already have some, get yours while the choices are still good.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-23-2008 at 07:40 AM..
Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Its a beauty, But getting her emissions straight is going to be a big ouchy: Cat, air pump, plumbing for air pump, non euro fuel lines/injectors...
Im wondering for the air pump if it would be worth it just to get one of the new electronic units and just hook 12 volts to it for the test-wouldnt even have to mount it. Also, you may be able to get away with just getting a cat with an air inlet so you wouldnt have to fuss with the air injection manifold (spider). Throw some alcohol in the tank and pull some timing and test her.
God I love screwing with governmental testing....
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

FWIW, My car passed CA smog without the Cat/Air hooked up!

Was wondering, car sold inside of CA, it's the sellers responsibility to deliver smog cert, is it the same when buying outside CA?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
I wonder how much longer it will be until the masses realize there is a better life waiting with performance Porsche models,930 in particular , now that Ferrari, Aston and some (lesser ) Porsche models have all gone to the moon. I already have some, get yours while the choices are still good.
Dude, no truer worlds spoken... I've got mine!

Get'em while they're hot!!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
+1 on having mine-
Screw refinement, I want a man's car and thats what I got
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certifiable

I have thought a lot about the emissions thing... And done a lot of searching and researching on this forum in regards to the emissions testing...
There are so many people on this forum who have slipped there cars through CA smog w/o any smog equipment besides cats. That I think I will be able to sneak it through as well...

But that is the $30,000 question... is it worth the gamble????

You all know these cars far better than I do, neglecting the visual inspection, and with the addition of a stock exhaust system (headers back)... can I get the emissions in check enough to get through???

Help! This is agonizing!!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If in theory you could get through with just a cat, then you wouldn't need to change the headers.
I would do it man, that is a wonderful car with good (not crazy) mods done to it.
Between all of our knowledge we could get that car to pass emissions- if you failed and gave me the report of what the car made chemically- I could direct you to make it pass.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-22-2008, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

It looks like a really nice car, Quicky. It was on e-bay for about a week ending Feb 17th, where it went unpurchased after 17 bids reaching $26,100 with the reserve price not being met. FYI, it is almost impossible finding cats and the stock muffler for these things except for new factory Porsche units @ the dealer which are quite expensive. I went through the search a while back and couldn't find anything aftermarket or from a salvage yard. I guess you could have the combo unit (cat and muffler) custom made for you. Being in Arizona, I had Midas make me a custom muffler that tied into the air system just to get through emissions, and once I passed I just put on the aftermarket muffler, disconnecting the air system. Maybe they could do the same with cats, too. And...Maybe someone else could chime in on this for you. Getting through emissions can be hit or miss depending on whether they are doing a decent physical inspection or not (luckily, most inspectors really don't know what they are looking for on these Porsche's, but that may not always be the case). But on the emissions test itself, you can have a Porsche shop adjust your settings down so you can pass that part of the inspection, and then have them adjust it back up once you pass. Hope this helped. Geoff
Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quicksilver77, if you buy the car and have trouble with CA smog and you live close to central CA.
I will lone you my stock Muffler/Cat to pass smog, amongst local 930 owners (Bryon aka x86Boardwell included) my loner is known as golden boy

It has never failed a smog cert!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Me like track days

If you get a 1/2 intelligent emissions human, those B&Bs etc will not pass the visual part of the inspection at the California Emissions Nazis.

Car absolutely looks well sorted and has all the right goods, but as many here will tell you, the Andial setup is not ideal. BUT.....should be ok for street use.

Nice looking car. Just be aware of what a pain CA can be with their "inspections".
Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Certifiable

Thank you all for your input and offers to help! I may have to take you up on it at some point in the near future!
The car goes in for the PPI on Monday, and barring any surprises... I will fly out late in the week to see for myself and possibly make the long road trip home (bonding time right?)
I will keep you posted!!!
Thanks again for your kindness and generosity!
-Sean
Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Certifiable

Well she passed the PPI with flying colors!
I found an acquaintance who will do the California entrance inspection, and a friendly smog tech! I think I am golden...
Now, do I driver her home or get her shipped?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Congrats Sean!
My offer stands, if you need to borrow a stock muffler/cat (top secret at that) to pass CA smog cert, PM me!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Drive it. Some of the best part of my 930 experiences was when/ if I was luckey enough to find a nice one was to drive it home, Usually from Ca all the way to Milwaukee Wi ( when it still made sence to buy from CA ) and not always with a PPI, just the feeling that the car and owner were right. Always made it with a great big smile. Live it up and enjoy the trip.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Drive it. Some of the best part of my 930 experiences was when/ if I was luckey enough to find a nice one was to drive it home
I agree, bought mine in San Diego and drove it home to central CA via the PCH 1!
No-one should have that much fun
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quicky, if the car is as nice as it looks, I think I would have it shipped. It will cost less than driving it back...And, it won't get messed up on the way back. I get small rock chips on my car all the time even though I have a full bra on it at all times. You don't know what kind of weather or road conditions you will encounter and I just think you will be happier that it came to you PERFECT. I really liked that car when I saw it on ebay! Congratulations! You are going to LOVE that car! Geoff
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I throw in with Cl8ton and Voit...drive it. I have a standing offer to loan out my factory cat and muffler in the event you require one for the emissions test. You don't indicate where in CA you live, but I'm in the Sacramento area. I bought the original parts for just the occasions you are facing after mine flunked becasue the smog guys knew what to look for. Also be aware that whereas some of the guys may have gotten thru without a cat or with non CARB exempt mods....some of the smog shops know what to look for. If you have the skids greased with a "friendly"...all the better. If you need a muffler and cat, please feel free to contact me. After all, this is what the forum is all about....helping fellow aficianados!.

Also...if it were up to me, I'd just have to drive it back....such a wonderful looking machine with all those mods....that would be a drive of a lifetime made even more enjoyable by the fact it's brand new to you and begs to be driven. You have the rest of your life to have it become less exciting....but right , now you're at the apex of ownership....brand new flagship calling for the captain to come aboard. Drive it home! Rock chips can be painted over, but the excitement of ownership will never be stronger.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post

Also...if it were up to me, I'd just have to drive it back....such a wonderful looking machine with all those mods....that would be a drive of a lifetime made even more enjoyable by the fact it's brand new to you and begs to be driven. You have the rest of your life to have it become less exciting....but right , now you're at the apex of ownership....brand new flagship calling for the captain to come aboard. Drive it home! Rock chips can be painted over, but the excitement of ownership will never be stronger.
Wow...what bridge are we jumping off Chuck? I'm all in. Drove mine back from Seattle to Orange County, CA 10 years ago. Still brings a smile to my face to this day. Shipping is the rational decision but you did just spend $30k on a 20 year old sports car....so rationality be dam#@!

Congrats.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: