Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bye Bye Clicking Sound..A Slow'N'Rusty Pictorial - BOV Housing

Hi Gang - Well I wanted to write-up a quick Tech Article on getting rid of the inevitable "clicking" sound when you blip the throttle of your 930 - we will all cross this bridge at some point!! Not a way to impressive your friends when they are all around your car and it sounds like a little hammer hitting aluminum (which it really is!!).

My car suffered from the infamous "clicking" sound when I bought it, so it only took me three years to address this issue...LOL! I actually had some free time this weekend for a change, so I said, why not!

The BOV made by KKK is pretty simple. It is integral in the intake manifold casting and is an aluminum piston that is spring loaded and is moved by air, over time the silver aluminum piston hits the end seals and turns them into candle wax (literally) so it no longer has a seat, they crumble up and deteriorate.

Time required: 2-3hours, get your favorite tunes in the garage jamming and some good alone time where you will not be disturbed.

Cost : $5.50 from our sponsor good ole Pelican Parts (no joke!!), you buy the seals as a pair. They are in stock and the part number: 930 110 149 00 and is described as Seal for Air Valve Housing (Boost Valve Housing), it is Number (7) below:

(I love these parts diagrams from Pelican BTW - AWESOME!!)

Skill Level: If my dumb ass can do it, you can too! No choice swear words eminated from my mouth on this project, so really it can't be bad..LOL

Step 1: Remove the intercooler and all associated clamps, hoses and plumbing. Easy!

Step 2: Remove the large rubber elbow under the intercooler to the intake manifold - Easy!

Step 3: You will now gain access to the end covers for the BOV housing. Both these covers are secured by 4x10mm nuts and washers each. Loosen the 10mm nuts on the front and rear covers and be careful as the the spring loaded piston will try to launch out so it requires you are ready!!! Take your time.
Here is the front cover:

Gently pry the covers off with a flat edge screwdriver, after 20years of being secured they are on there pretty solid, like so:

The front cover will ONLY come off with the lower right stud removed. The rear cover will ONLY come off with 3 out of the 4 studs removed. This is a bit more work but not bad and only requires that you double up the 10mm nuts nice and tight and off they come. Remember patience! Like so:

Here is the deteriorated front seal that turned to wax over the years, that you are going to replace...look at it...crumbled before my eyes:

Here is the BOV piston and spring ready to come out:

Here is the actual entire internal KKK BOV assembly all removed prior to cleaning:

Here are the seals, in the picture on the left is the rear seal (still in decent shape) on the right the front seal - completely deteriorated and the new seals from Pelican Parts mocked-up ready to go back -in:

Re-installation is opposite to removal (please clean everything whistle clean!!)and I used just a slight lick of Permatex Ultra Grey on the surface of the covers where they seal to the intake housing, as I am not a big fan of metal on metal.

Hope that helps all those attempting this project some time soon!

My best - Yasin
Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Outstanding ! great shots!

Thanks
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Thankyou!!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You are 7 years late

Changing 930 dump-gaskets, pictures galore
Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wow, that was entertaining. Definitely added to the to do list.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Story of my life! LOL...haha.

Great write-up, funny we took different paths to the same end goal.

Yasin
Old 02-25-2008, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Nice pics.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Do we need to take the air box apart and off the car to do this?

You both go different route: beepbeep takes more thingns apart but slow&rusty changes it removing ONLY the intercooler.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
YASIN: Not only was your article and pictures informative, but I just got off the phone ordering the parts from Pelican....I've been annoyed by that clicking sound for two years now and your article and pictures have given me the incentive to take care of it.

I appreciate your time and effort....even if it was posted before....

Chuck
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Do we need to take the air box apart and off the car to do this?

You both go different route: beepbeep takes more thingns apart but slow&rusty changes it removing ONLY the intercooler.
Miguel - You do not have to take the air box apart and off the car. Yes I went a different route to beepbeep and I feel my way is simpler in that less physical parts have to be removed. My belief is to keep it as simple as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
YASIN: Not only was your article and pictures informative, but I just got off the phone ordering the parts from Pelican....I've been annoyed by that clicking sound for two years now and your article and pictures have given me the incentive to take care of it.

I appreciate your time and effort....even if it was posted before....

Chuck
Chuck - Great stuff, glad to help! I left you a reply on Rennlist as well.

My best- Yasin
Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Slow&Rusty, aside from the 'clicking' what other symptoms would a bad seal exhibit ? Breaking up ? running rich?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Slow&Rusty, aside from the 'clicking' what other symptoms would a bad seal exhibit ? Breaking up ? running rich?
The only thing that comes to mind is low on power(boost leak), running erraticaly etc, as the piston hammering the cover, could eventually cause a small break in the seal between the cover and the housing, plus damage to the piston itself. This would have to be over quite a long period of time mind you.

Yasin
Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

That's one of the things I'm fixing while the engine is out.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Great wright up with pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post

...Hi Gang - Well I wanted to write-up a quick Tech Article on getting rid of the inevitable "clicking" sound when you blip the throttle of your 930 ...
I know this is an old thread but wonder if anyone can confirm if the compressor bypass valve is open at idle or just on overrun when vac is much higher.

From the above is sounds like idle vac might be holding it open and it closes when the throttle is blipped?

Is this click also heard when accelerating from cruse?

Thanks if anyone can tell me how this system functions off idle and from cruse.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Great wright up with pics!

I know this is an old thread but wonder if anyone can confirm if the compressor bypass valve is open at idle or just on overrun when vac is much higher.

From the above is sounds like idle vac might be holding it open and it closes when the throttle is blipped?

Is this click also heard when accelerating from cruse?

Thanks if anyone can tell me how this system functions off idle and from cruse.
I am thinking the valve would not be open at idle, as the clicking is heard with the throttle is pressed...but feel free to prove me otherwise.

The clicking would be hard to hear with the car moving...my car is on the loud side...but makes sense it will be audible.
Yasin
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yasin.

Thx for the input.

I guess I was thinking if it was open at idle, when the throttle is blipped vac goes away and the spring would push it closed . That might make the clicking sound.

The spring tension would determine how much vacuum it would take to pull open the piston.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
87slantnose

Thank you for the information, Would anyone know the torque specifications for the intercooler bolts and BOV nuts for the reassembly?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Question

I took apart my KKK BOV this past weekend. Sorry, no pics. Mine had begun "clanging under decel/accel."

Was wondering what I should use to lubricate the piston? Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
on my 84 930 i don't see that area? i have not pulled the intercooler yet but by the angles of the photos i cant see that part? would my engine be different?
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Great write up and I Like all those shiny fasteners!
95 M3 Red, 97 540I 6-spd Black
98 Landcruiser, 01 Rav4 (Wife's)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: