Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Air pump system removal

I've searched here and Rennlist for an instructional posting for the removal of the air pump system and have not had much luck. I've found a ton of postings that say, "remove smog pump system"- but so far nothing instructional with pics a la slownrusty style. Do any of you have one saved- or know of a posting that might help? I've removed the injectors and pipes from under the motor and would like to take care of the rest- but it's a new car to me ('86 930) and was hoping for a little more than an explosion diagram of the system. I would characterize myself to be at the "idiots guide" level of competency. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Worst case scenerio, you could take pics of your engine, and we could circle the items that need to be pulled. Havent seen any good write ups yet.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Try this:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=363088&highlight=air+injection+removal
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks! That's helpful.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Looks like Yasin (Slownrusty) has covered this subject as well...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=205489&highlight=pictorial
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
Looks like Yasin (Slownrusty) has covered this subject as well...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=205489&highlight=pictorial
Yeah- I actually used that post to remove the injectors- and it was quite helpful. What I'm trying to do now is remove the pump, belt and all ancillaries (that's what I was referring to in this post). I'm sure some people leave as is but I'd like to clean up the engine bay and remove all the unnecessary crap.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mine was already pulled when I got the car so I am not possitive, but you should just be able to cut the belt that goes from the scavenge pump to the air pump. then just disconnect and remove the air pump. The vaccum lines will be the tricky part. I think the mech that pulled my system left to much behind.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The air pump and its mounting bracket is a breeze to remove. Its similar to removing an alternator in that it has a top pivot bolt and a lower bracket bolt. After that wiggle it out (there is not much room).

Its been almost 3years since I pulled mine, but remember it was simple.

Yasin
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Once you get in there it really isn't that bad. When you get to a questionable part take a pic and post it up. I went through this and wasn't overwhelmed. Now with my air injection I cut it directly under the case so I could plug it once. But removing the rest is on my to-do list and pluggin the heads.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys- I'll give it a go and post "what's this thing" pics when I encounter them. May be a couple of weeks because GHL exhaust and new turbo arrive this Friday and as soon as I see the "bling" they're going to have to go on right away!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

When you get you GHL muffler put on post up some pics. Or email me a couple. I have a GHL muffler and the tips aren't even. It bugs me, so I'm curious if they are all that way or if mine's a fluke.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
When you get you GHL muffler put on post up some pics. Or email me a couple. I have a GHL muffler and the tips aren't even. It bugs me, so I'm curious if they are all that way or if mine's a fluke.

Will do- but I ordered the single outlet muffler. You should call Brian @ GHL: 877-930-0911 and let him know you're not happy. I spoke with him a few times and he seemed eager to please. For example he was going to weld an additional O2 bung on for wideband sensor free of charge (unfortunately I couldn't tell him where to put it so I'll have it done locally). I've heard B&B makes more power but I went with GHL because I've heard their customer service is so much better- send him a picture and if it's their mistake I'm sure they'll make it right.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the contact info. It may be worth asking him if they've heard anything. I don't expect them to do anything for me considering I bought the complete setup used. I haven't installed the headers yet, only the muffler. Maybe it'll all line up when I get the whole kit on there.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: