Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Jurhip,
Sorry....but, Good luck! I'm sure you'll find another seller with a better sense of the market. Perception is reality, until it sets in.

Are you a PCA member? The PCA classified website has a lot of cars for sale, many in southern california. Also, they have folks who seem to take better care of their cars. But...they also seem to think they are worth more. It is worth a look. membership is $42 and worth the price just for the periodicals, independent of the events.

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Now that I am no longer in the market... I'll let this secret out!
http://collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=90221604
I was looking at this car and the one I purchased, I decided to get one that was already modified, rather than starting with a blank sheet! This one is mainly stock with higher mileage, than the black one you were looking at, but it has the receipts for recent engine rebuild and other various repairs. Pascal (owner) is open to offers (though I would not low-ball him), and was a pretty straight forward when I was speaking with him.
Granted the wheels are beyond hideous (my .02) but overall it looked good, if you are OK with red, and it passed a PPI w/o issues!
FYI there are a couple more 930's on the collector car trader site, though the ones less expensive look pretty rough...
Happy hunting!
-Sean
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I am a PCA member. Right now, 930 choices are slim within PCA and I would prefer to stay within California. I also search collector car trader, but appreciate the link anyway.

Hey, I could be in a much worse situation, right? Yesterday I just bought a homeless man a slice of pizza as I was picking up dinner. At least I can shop for these.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraripete View Post
i think good clean history 930's are $35k cars all day long! and even at that...serious values!!

if the car needs a clutch bully...as chuck said, negotiate a few dollars off the asking price and be happy with your investment.

these are fantastic machines and i laugh when people suggest that good ones can be had in the $23-25k range. bargain hunting may bring fruit but as with many cars, buy the best one you can find, pay a fair price...never look back!

best,

pcb
I agree Pete. Fairly decent 930's are only starting at $30k now while excellent examples are fetching much more. You guys can't be quoting prices of basket case cars that have sold for low 20's and lump all 930's there. Times and prices have changed while the "advise" here hasn't. Check out the results of Barrett Jackson's 930 sales for this year if you do not believe me. Ed Bighi and I show up to many of the local exotic cars meets and you wouldn't believe the money we have been offered for our cars. That being said, excellent 930's that (truly) need nothing are extremely hard to find and it takes damn near having a money tree to get one to that point.

Cheers,
Zach

Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP View Post
I agree Pete. Fairly decent 930's are only starting at $30k now while excellent examples are fetching much more. You guys can't be quoting prices of basket case cars that have sold for low 20's and lump all 930's there. Times and prices have changed while the "advise" here hasn't. Check out the results of Barrett Jackson's 930 sales for this year if you do not believe me. Ed Bighi and I show up to many of the local exotic cars meets and you wouldn't believe the money we have been offered for our cars. That being said, excellent 930's that (truly) need nothing are extremely hard to find and it takes damn near having a money tree to get one to that point.

Cheers,
Zach

Zach,
nice car!
How much have you been offered?
By how many different people?
What are your car's specs?

Doug
Old 02-29-2008, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Current, an actual sale, Go to this thread: Should I take the plunge on this one?
Posting #35. $29K......right in line with the real world.

Last edited by copbait73; 02-29-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Zach,
nice car!
How much have you been offered?
By how many different people?
What are your car's specs?

Doug
Ed Bighi and I have both had multiple offers for well north of $30k. When you have a sorted 930 people take notice because there are not many out there. You can check out my web page for specs.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Zach,
What do mean by well sorted? I think that definition differs from person to person depending on what they want. I have seen cars advertised as sorted, but something or another needs work. It seems more like a vague advertising term to me. I would not call the car originally in question well sorted. Just lower miles, and untouched except for the intercooler.

To me, a sorted car falls more along racing requirements of having excellent mechanical condition, with suspension and brakes dialed in perfect balance with the power delivery and planned use. Modifications alone do not make a car well sorted. They must all work in harmony. For me, a POS could be "well sorted" if it is mechanically sound and works well. It may not be a car you want to be seen in driving on the street, but it is "sorted."
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurhip View Post
Zach,
What do mean by well sorted? I think that definition differs from person to person depending on what they want. I have seen cars advertised as sorted, but something or another needs work. It seems more like a vague advertising term to me. I would not call the car originally in question well sorted. Just lower miles, and untouched except for the intercooler.

To me, a sorted car falls more along racing requirements of having excellent mechanical condition, with suspension and brakes dialed in perfect balance with the power delivery and planned use. Modifications alone do not make a car well sorted. They must all work in harmony. For me, a POS could be "well sorted" if it is mechanically sound and works well. It may not be a car you want to be seen in driving on the street, but it is "sorted."

Nothing I have posted refers to the original car in this thread. You said,
Quote:
I have seen cars advertised as sorted, but something or another needs work. It seems more like a vague advertising term to me.
and I agree completely. That is why the ones that truly are nice can fetch serious money.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Zack you have a car to be proud of but the thread is 930 value.
A 7 year newer car with it's interior intact, twice the $ in modifications, probably more power, for less than $30K should be passed over to pay what.... $10-20K MORE for sorting out.
Sorry the first car has more value, and hopefully the sorting out Porsche Engineering provided still remains with it also.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
beancounter

Man I love these valuation threads...The car in the "Should I take the plunge" thread that recently sold for around 30k looks very nice. However, its a 90k mile car, and the price reflects that. Given the maintenance work, it may very well be a better car than a lower mile original car. Mods are great too. In a few years I may have done all that same stuff to my car and paid out the @$$ for it. In this case, as we all know, seller gets pennies on the dollar for that. So a higher mile, but well maintained 930 will fetch 30k. The market certainly favors a lower mile, and original, unmolested car. Even if mods and repair work look good on paper and may be even better in real life, the market likes an original car because its a known quantity. 39,000 mile red 1987 car on ebay is now at 38.5k and the reserve has been met. 64 bids made on that one, auction ends tomorrow (no affiliation, just interested).
Old 02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I am no 930 expert, but what makes all these modifications soooo expensive. I would think the 930 would be less $/hp compared to the NA porsches. The engine and tranny are strong enough for most hp increases without the need for modification. The injection and emission systems are simple enough to support at least 50hp increase without mods (correct me if I completely wrong here). The brake system is already very solid. Suspension is suspension (at least for 911s). Unless you are increasing displacement or rebuilding an engine, what gives.

I see people add an intercooler and perhaps a newer style turbo with a slightly higher boost spring. I can't see these items themselves costing that much. Is it the labor if not doing it yourself? If it is, I need to start installing intercoolers and exhaust systems
Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: