Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

993TT vs 996TT

I've always wanted a turbo and am considering a purchase within the next 6-9 mos. I have noticed 993 TT's and 2001 996 TT's are about the same price point. Are there known problems with the early 996 TT. Are the later 2002 and on TT's much better? Style issues are always a matter of taste but mechanically which do you guys think is more reliable? It would be driven about 5 mos a year, 4-6K mi per year, no track, dealer serviced, left mostly stock. I am leaning toward the 996 TT but like I said I am not that knowledgeable and I know the 996 is an early example of a new platform whereas the 993 is the last derivation of an old platform. Anyways, I would appreciate you guys' input. Thanks
07 Escalade
96 993 Coupe - sold
Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sadly, I have no experience with either car. But, I think the reasons for each would be similar to the choice between any same type 993 and 996.

My 2 cents:
- If you have the money to buy a pristine 993 TT and don't mind the slightly less overall performance/inconveniences, get it. I think these cars are going to be future collector's for people of my generation and their prices will always show it.
- The 996 TT is very nice, probably better to drive all-round than the 993 and overall performance is obviously better. On the street I am not sure the performance difference matters, but the water cooling is definetely more convenient for short trips and I am sure it improves even further on the seemless low-end of the 993 TT powerplant. You also don't need to worry about the 993 series issues and the car itself is more refined (if that is what you want) But, in 5 years I think the 993 TT will still hold value and the 996 series will be the 964's of today. A good value, but overshadowed by the 997 used car market.

In the end, I think it depends on how you plan to use it. Both are excellent cars. Though more refined, any 996 will ultimately outperform a 993. To deny that is ludicrous and based purely on emotion.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'm inclined to agree with jurhip^^^^

I work with a guy who is a car enthusiast. He drives a "Porsh" Boxster and has been thinking about breaking into the 911 world. He found a very nice 993 2S (wide body), normally aspirated at a local high-end used car lot that also had some nice, fully optioned, late model 996s. The 993 was minty fresh, loaded, and priced as such that he really could have bought any one of the 996s. He struggled with the idea of a car as "old" as the 993 commanding such a premium...didn't understand what was "special" about the whole air/oil cooled experience, or what the 993 represented in Porsche's history. So he drove it. In his words: "It was nice, but just waaay too unrefined and raw". He claimed that he was unable to just jump in and drive off, and that he could tell there would be some skill involved...this car wouldn't drive itself.

Thinking about what I drive every day (A/C in the winter and heat in the summer), I had to chuckle to myself about his perspective. The 993 is definitely "raw", but comparatively speaking, is downright posh to my toy!

Moral of the story: learn what camp you are in. Are you an "old skooler" or part of "the new world order"? Drive both cars. If you don't have the good fortune of simultaneously owning a Porsche relic and a new model (best of both worlds), you have be true to yourself and roll the bones on the one that fulfills the most utility.

I know this isn't where you wanted to take it, but I just can't get beyond the 996 styling. I think order has been restored with the 997, but the 996 just never looks right to me. However, I've heard that performance wise, the 996TT is a real stunner. I guess my point is that I couldn't just pick a car based on it's reliability (or lack there of) merrits alone. It's a package deal.

One other consideration, since you say it will be "dealer serviced", you might want to be sure there will not be any issues having the 993 serviced at a "dealer".

I think the best person to answer your quesion would be PorschePhd, Steven Kasper, owner of Imagine Auto. He has owned them all and works on them all.

Best of luck, and I'm by no means trying to hate - just different strokes for different folks...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 02-28-2008 at 06:13 AM..
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

993TT>996TT...
When I was working at porsche, the only real problems we had with the 996tt were the:
Rear main seal leaks
Gas gauge sender caliberation
Mass air meter
Coolant expansion tank (I dont know why the car needed one... haha)
On the general the 996tt was a good car, but nothing grabs my heart like a clean 993TT. I would go after a 993tt any day of the week over a 996TT
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think this will quickly become an emotional debate over 993 vs 996. That being said, either TT is a great car.
Given your maintenance requirements and my guess at your driving, I would recommend the 996. You should even be able to get one with a extended, certified warranty from Porsche. I think that is worth a lot.

Either car will last for a long time properly cared for and I wouldn't be too concerned that the 996 is the first generation of the TT water cooler plant. Porsche had quite a bit of experience with water cooling in racing, with the boxster, not to mention the 924/944/968 and 928's.

Though I like the new 997, I think I actually prefer the 996 TT over the 997 TT. The 997 TT looks (and is) overweight.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Me like track days

For your casual-only use, get the 996TT.....unless you flat-out like the 993TT better -
Let the heart be the guide, both are nice cars.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input fellas. sand_man, what I meant by dealer serviced is that I won't be doing much of the service/maintenance myself and I don't know of any good Porsche shops around here (Des Moines, Iowa). I used to work on my old college steed all the time (71 240Z), but now do not really have the time or inclination. I actually LIKE the 964s but the turbo's are harder to find (I don't want a 91) and the turbo S's are too high. I'm not going to collect it I gonna drive it.
07 Escalade
96 993 Coupe - sold
Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think that the 993TT has more of a level of "violence" than the 996 varient. But to each his own. A clean 993TT will always have its spot in my heart where a 996TT would really have to be special (750 horse or so) to get my attention. The 993 is not bad as a driver either, its just not as luxury oriented as the 996tt.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Not to add to the pi$$ing match 993 vs 996...
But, there is a reason the prices are almost equal. The 996 body style has not been unanimously well received (no round headlights and the interior of the Boxter), and the resale values show it. If you do get the 996 you will love its everyday manners, COLD instead of cool AC, and the more ergonomic interior... but you will regret not getting the 993 every time you one.
This is just me on my soap box but the aesthetics of a 993 inspire SO much more emotion! To me this would be a no brainer! Air cooled 993 ALL the way!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: