Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
The Unfair Advantage, Donohue Book

Just did some rereading of the late Mark Donohue's book The Unfair Advantage.
I highly recommend it for it's background and history before professional racing became corporate. Specifically, his discussion of developing the Porsche RS, RSR IROC, and of course the 917/10-30 CanAM TURBO cars. Gives great behind the scenes look at Porsche engineering, development processes, and politics at the time the 930 was also developed and released. I read it that Donohue was responsible for the unique 930 trailing arm geometry and outsized rear tires in general. Nice pictures
Amazon and ebay have listings however there must be some demand as prices are high.

Last edited by copbait73; 02-29-2008 at 11:54 AM..
Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good call Copbait! I got the newer re-print with more pictures after hearing about the original for years from my old boss. That is a very cool book, especially for Porsche lovers. How about that enormous fueling rig he built? Wouldn't want to be that fuel guy...
Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrmike View Post
How about that enormous fueling rig he built? Wouldn't want to be that fuel guy...
How do you like the statement the 917 TURBO engine wouldn't run under 5K RPM. They had never dyno developed it at low RPM, "it's a racing engine".
I started work in the turbo lab at Schwitzer about that time, in '72. Our turbo testing on gas engines was primitive also. In our case the lead engineer defined gas engine testing on the dynos like they were diesels. Full power, heat soaked for minutes at a time. Lots of red/white hot manifold testing. Nothing approaches this in the real world except maybe Bonneville or Indy 500. He was always surprised the engines were slow to boost and low on power when driven on the street. Changing to a lower A/R fixed them for street use but back on the dyno (his way) they were down on power (choked).
Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent book, every race fan or Porsche fan should read it...
1977 Turbo Carrera Black on Red #411 - Beauty Queen
1987 951 Black on Black - sold to make room for the 930
1972 911 2.7 (RS P's and C's, solex camshafts, Weber's, ST suspension) - I regret selling her every single day....
Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: