Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Jeff,

keep us posted! I will buy 2 rims from you that are ~11.5 x 17" or 18" what ever you think will fit in a turbo fender well best with the stock 30mm spacer. What if we toss the spacer????

let us know....Very cool...

Bob
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I think 18s would look funny on your car bob, stick with 17s or 16s if possble.
'75 911S Silver Anniversary #164(Formerly JTO's)
Rebuilt 2.7 with full ARP, 9:1 CR.
SSI, GHL, ER polybronze bushings, finned oil lines.
Lowered and corner balanced. CIS retired, now PMOs!
'65 912 slate gray sunroof (driving project)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ael911 View Post
I think 18s would look funny on your car bob, stick with 17s or 16s if possble.
Agree. If you like the 18s, then go with them. But there are a lot of 930s running 18s that look a bit cartoonish in some angles. Just doesn't quite look right, IMO.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Andy and Noah,

I agree, but Porsche is the only company that I know of that sells a car with different width rims front to back. Lets say I bought 11.5 x 17's, I would have a much better selection of tires...Yes/no would a 17 on the rear look funky with a 16 on the front...???? Am I out of my mind? As I said Andy, I think some RSRs had a larger diameter wheel in back....Set me straight!

Bob
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO DAWG GO View Post
Andy and Noah,

I agree, but Porsche is the only company that I know of that sells a car with different width rims front to back. Lets say I bought 11.5 x 17's, I would have a much better selection of tires...Yes/no would a 17 on the rear look funky with a 16 on the front...???? Am I out of my mind? As I said Andy, I think some RSRs had a larger diameter wheel in back....Set me straight!

Bob
Bob,

My project car is not a 930 but I'm currently running 9x16 wheels up front and 11x17 wheels in the rear. Here are a few pics:

Soon I'll be swapping the fronts to 17" but personally I don't think the wheel combo looks bad as-is.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Bob, I would stick with the same size diameter rim unless you can absolutely match outer diameter of the front and rear tires. I would only run different diameters if tire selection did not allow otherwise. I personally do not know of any earlly or late RSRs that runs different diameter rims between front and back.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bob, check out this build. Sonjay and others out there can weld you some nice 16x10 that will almost pass for the real deal.

Another IROC build - Aussie RHD 3.8
Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Here's the real deal, read the build page for wheel specs.

http://www.pbase.com/slidevalve911rsr/911_market_rs_factory_forsale_74rsr_sn9114609053
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO DAWG GO View Post
Andy and Noah,

Bob
Porsche's use of varying width rims front and rear on the 911 was intended to address the extreme rear-weight bias of the car. Wider tires at the rear to handle the extra weight at the rear. I believe that the engineers had wanted to do so for quite some time, but were held back from doing so due to various countries' DOTs specifying that for a road car, the (usually one) spare tire had to be able to be used on both front and rear applications. It wasn't until the advent of the space saver spare that one spare wheel/tire was able to substitute for both front and rear applications. Then, Porsche was freed to use wider rims in the rear.

All road cars came with same diameter rims front and rear. But the 935 had smaller 16" diameter rims in front, and larger 20" rims in the rear. Group 5 rules dictated that the tire/wheel be no wider than 16". That meant a 15" wide rim, plus whatever else came from the tire sidewall. That was insufficient traction at the driving rear wheels of the 935. So, to get a bigger contact patch, Porsche decided to go with a larger diameter rim (20"), so that if the contact patch couldn't get wider, then it would get longer (fore and aft), to increase the overall area of the contact patch. No need for such extreme grip at the front (plus the need for the aerodynamic slantnose fenders), so smaller diamter rims of 16" were run in the front.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Noah,

Thanks buddy, I thought there was something to the lore of a larger diameter wheels in back. I'm not afraid to do what Kaefer has. I don't think it looks bad..I think it looks great! Brian posted a picture of a 935 months ago that I noticed the larger wheels in back..anybody remember that white one? . You guys should see Andy's 75 911S (ael911) with those PMO's on it. I went by last night and he is ready to mount them..He and I set them on the manifolds on the RSR shroud...simply awesome. Its going to be hard to put air cleaners on them, they look so good. We'll take a picture and post it...he's got allot of room to work in his engine compartment now.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
It was the great Norbert Singers interpratations of the rules that allowed the 935 to use larger diameter wheels at the rear.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: