Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I don't know what it is but it never fails almost every time I go somewhere with my wife in the 930 someone rides my a-- , or wants to make stupid sudden turns in front of me! Now I want to let you all know I have a very calm demeanor (HA HA). When things like that happen I just want to stop in front of the guy tailgating me and drag his dumb A-- out of their car, truck , bike or what ever it is and beat them senseless!! Now as you might imagine my wife always feels I should pull over and let people like that pass us by, or she says I just over react and its not possible so many retards exist. So when this happens I tell her to turn around and look for herself but she refuses and says I am ruining our day out. I feel sorry for the guy that does this when I'm alone. Anyway I just cant figure out why people insist on tailgating you when your in your P-car. This doesn't happen when I'm driving my F350.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
TWS930,

Sounds just like my wife and my driving experiences on a daily basis. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram truck that they don't tailgate. Wonder why? My buddy has a 75, 911s. He says they don't do it to him? Must be the whale tail...I just took a run over to my buddies and checked out his triple throat PMO's, they are awesome/gorgeous. He's installing these as I write...VERY COOL ...he just needs a K27 under them....Trying to get my 13 year old son involved with this mess.. he loves Porsches, check it out..

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
I,,, alright,, alright,,,, I'll admit it! I LOVE THOSE PMO's!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Chris,

Buddy..

Working in aerospace for 25 years, these casting and the machine work/finish is as good as it gets...Beautiful carbs and will look great on his natural fiberglass shroud he is installing. I'm as silly about them as him. I didn't mean to throw this in this thread, but so pretty, I just had too.

Bob
Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Totally understand! With ya there! Don't worry. I share the obsession!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Back on track though -

I really don't know what it is myself. I really am so alert of my surroundings and for some strange reason people just love to creep up and almost (seemingly) stand on my whale tail. I will sometimes, if I have room in front of me, pop the car forward just a little just to build a tiny bit of a buffer! If it happens that they move forward again with me,, I just leave it alone. Because, mainly, if there IS a total jerk back there,,, if I move forward again,, that lets him know that he IS getting to me. And I don't drive around allowing others to rule my time.

I have no idea how I would find a replacement for this tail if someone were to crush it. No idea.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 03-03-2008 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Chris,

You have convinced me that its not at all in my mind. I have told people this many times and most will say" Are you sure they're really that close"? YYYYEEEESSS! I had Little Bob (pictured) standing behind my car and had him stand where the rear view mirror perspective depth is approximately where some idiots stop and they are close enough to say "hello", 6 inches or so!

Some younger chicks are really stupid too...notice when they fly up and slam on there brakes at the last moment and scare the #%$^$^ out of you?

Bob
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Bob, the pics look great and thanks for stopping by last night. Regarding this thread however, I wish I was with you that day, as the biker would have been looking down the business end of my Sig as he pulled near you. A quick phone call and he would have bee laying face down on the asphalt when I summoned my buddies. He would have been toast, especially pulling that kinda of crap in my jurisdiction. I am just glad you were okay and no one was hurt.
'75 911S Silver Anniversary #164(Formerly JTO's)
Rebuilt 2.7 with full ARP, 9:1 CR.
SSI, GHL, ER polybronze bushings, finned oil lines.
Lowered and corner balanced. CIS retired, now PMOs!
'65 912 slate gray sunroof (driving project)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ael911 View Post
I wish I was with you that day, as the biker would have been looking down the business end of my Sig as he pulled near you. A quick phone call and he would have bee laying face down on the asphalt when I summoned my buddies.
He would have been toast, especially pulling that kinda of crap in my jurisdiction.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Trouble Makers

This has happened to me many times. I used to ride a Honda CBX to work every day (some of you will know that this bike is the coolest thing on 2 wheels). Anyway, I was very careful not to get too close to any hunks of iron in front of me.
Now, the tail-gators, that was another thing. I lost count of how many times I could reach back on my bike and touch the front bumper of a car behind me on the freeway if I wanted to. Usually a blip of the throttle and the six carbs, six cylinders, and six exhaust pipes would catapult me several car lengths in front of the offending motorist. But on some occasions, they would just not behave. So I resorted to carrying a handful of loose change in the pocket of my jacket. I would toss some nickels over my shoulder and that would usually do the trick. There was only one occasion (out of many) that caused the driver to fly into a rage. I simply took off and left him? in the dust. I told this to a cop buddy once and he reminded me it was against the law - to deface American currency.

For us P-car drivers, I offer the following tactics to deal with tail-gators:
1. Tap your brake 3 times in succession. This is the international warning signal. Don't slow down, just make the light come on, practice this at home.
2. Weave slightly in your lane side to side. This will usually wake up the sleepy driver who has allowed themself to get too close, plus it's fun.
3. Change lanes, allow the offensive driver to pass you, pull in behind them, and saturate their vision with your 100W halogen lights on high-beam (this is especially fun at night). Then quickly regain your rightful position ahead of the now night-blinded driver and speed off into the night.
4. Wash your windshield. This is more effective if you have "adjusted" your windshield sprayer to spray slightly over your sunroof. Great for bikers.
5. Get the license plate and pay the small fee to the state DMV to get the offending driver's home address. Send them a polite letter stating how you were threatened by their behavior on the road and you know where they live. (Don't include your return address) This is really fun if you are a lawyer and you add "esq" after your name. Heck, do it anyway.

(The above statements are intended for entertainment purposes only, professional stunt men were used in all scenarios, your results may vary, don't try this at home, etc.)

Mark, esq.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
5. Get the license plate and pay the small fee to the state DMV to get the offending driver's home address. Send them a polite letter stating how you were threatened by their behavior on the road and you know where they live. (Don't include your return address) This is really fun if you are a lawyer and you add "esq" after your name. Heck, do it anyway.
Wow...you can actually do this? seriously?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Wow...you can actually do this? seriously?
Not in this state
Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Manassas, VA

Garage
Trouble Makers

ael911,
You are so wrong (unless they changed the law tonight). I used to do this in Cali. Here is the link:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.pdf

The cost is only $5.00, I think this is a bargain to be able to get the name and address of anyone in CA by their license plate number.

Driver information is public information, I would like to know if there IS a state that does not allow this by law.

Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 03-05-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Sorry, I entered the wrong name.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Wow, I stand corrected. I can just see the potential for abuse on this privilege. Now I understand about the confidentiality forms I filled out... Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: