Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What should I look for in a major 930 service

I am a long time vintage Porsche tech, never torn into a 930 engine as of yet but I am about to take the plunge on a major service.

I am looking at a 2 owner 1988 930 that has higher mileage at 159,00 but appears very well maintained and all original except for a muffler. It is described to me as not able to pass Calif emissions, needs a tune up, otherwise starts every time and runs flawlessly. Rebuilt turbo that may or may not be a larger size (how do I tell). I have driven the car and it runs excellent.

Compression test results - done cold:
1 130
2 132
3 135
4 135
5 128
6 132

No oil leaks hitting the ground but there is oil seepage all over the top of the engine. Owner claims it has always run Red Line Oil.

I am adding up a major service cost and what parts should be looked at. So far:
  1. 1. spark plugs NGK
    2. cap bosch
    3. rotor bosch
    4. oil filter Mahle OCT 54
    5. fuel filter Mahle
    6. air filter Mahle
    7. smog pump filter Mahle
    8. fan belt
    9. A/C belt
    10. smog pump belt
    11. Case of oil - more Redline I guess
    12. Gallon of swepco 201
    13. Turbo/intercooler seals
    14. misc oil hoses
    15. valve cover gskt set

I would pull the engine/trans, clean what I could, do a valve adjustment. It looks to me like the air pump (smog pump) belt is broken and the pulley is worn out - maybe the source of a failed smog test.

So what other items should be looked at on an engine out service for a 1988 930?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Why would you pull the engine to do a service?
I doubt the smog pulleys are worn out...
If it has an aftermarket muffler it most likely has no catalyst and would probably still not pass emissions no matter how well you tune it up.
With that kind of mileage it probably needs valve guides if it's never been into, which may explain the oil all over the top of the motor. This may affect smog test as well, I'm not sure because we don't have them here( I never thought I'd say this but I kinda wish we did, cough cough)

BTW I usually pull the wastegate, airinjection check valve, and driver's side sheet metal to adjust the valves and change the plugs from the bottom, on that side.
You don't have to remove the engine, smogpump, or all the induction plumbing on that side.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just thinking removing the engine might be easier that working on it in the car, I have a lift and shop to make the job easier. I am spoiled by early cars and the tightest engine bay I am in is usually a MFI engine. Late model cars don't have much room.

The reason I think the pulleys are gone is the belt is missing all teeth and the top of the pump pulley looks worn. The aftermarket muffler looks like a very big tube around 4" it connects to the cat which is in place.

I am not sure if the engine has ever been into or not. The oil on the top of the engine is not bad, looks normal for an air cooled engine of this mileage. Usually a few new breather hoses and oil hoses and a healthy cleaning and everything is better.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds good!
You are spoiled by the MFI engine bays, Man what a difference.
Be careful, turbo's are not nearly as balanced upon removal as what your used to... It will lean heavily to the driver's side as you lower it. Goodluck!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It is done, bought the car and puled then engine in less than an hour.

rsrmike - you are right, the 930 engine does not balance well on my standard 911 jack pad. Heavy to the left and wont' balance.

Otherwise the engine is just like any other 911 engine with a big turbo system. Fun Fun.

Looks like this engine has been gone through in the past - I see Hondabond on some of the sealing surfaces. It is CLEAN, nothing out of place, just a few slightly aged hoses.

Noticed the turbo has K27 written on it with and engraver?

I forgot to take pictures today, will post tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pictures?
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here are pictures of my work so far. Its ready to go back together. It is so easy to complete a job quickly if you are dealing with a well maintained never modified or abused car.

Found the air pump pulleys to be toast. Looks like they were eating each other up for a while. Anyone have 930 air pump pulley they can spare?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My God!! Is the smog pump locked up??

Nice work by the way, I understand what you wanted to do now,
I don't blame you for pulling the engine...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm amazed that the engine and drivetrain is so easy to remove in these cars, it just seems so cool that you can pull the engine for a tune up. I can't wait until I own one of these things...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

When I first turned the pump over it was stuck but then freed easily. The pump feels ok, the adjustment of the belt would have been very loose if was not already broken.

Most likely I will exchange the pump for a rebuilt one. Need to find the pulleys now.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow that motor is clean!
confused, could you explain the what/how you jacked the car enough to slide the motor out?
I assume you performed this in your garage.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: