Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Boost springs

I am convinced stock springs are NLA as I checked everywhere.

Couple deals feel through trying to obtain one, so desperate
measures require me to post here before I just chuck the stock one and go Tial.

Anyone have a .7 / .8 bar spring for the stock wastegate?
I am willing to pay full retail if you want to sell it!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What spring do you have now? I have a stock unit with the stock spring but I need a lower rate for my application. I need about a .5 or .6.
Ben
Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Ben, unfortunately I am not sure what I have now as the gauge will peg at 1bar.
Tried to identify the spring but no luck, so I am assuming it's a 1bar.

Just for piece of mind is the reason I am looking!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry I can't help you. I have also tried to find a softer spring with no luck.. I did consider taking out my stock spring and measuring the diameter and length and then trying to order a generic spring with the same diameter but shorter length to see what happens. The springs are pretty cheap online; simple compression springs. I did find a few sites that offered numerous springs; you just plugged in the parameters and it would tell you what spring you needed. Here is one site. www.leespring.com

Let me know if you go this route.

Ben
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

dumb question, but did you try the dealership?

Ebay would be the next best bet. Keep your eyes open, one will show up.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I can measure the stock spring and post wire diameter, number of coils, uncompressed length, and outside diameter of my stock 0.7bar spring as I currently have my wastegate disassembled.
I also happen to have a 1.0bar spring that I can compare to this one for the same measurements.
Just hang tite as I won't get to it till the weekend likely. I may try to post spring rates as well, because I intend to measure the springs on a scale too.
Did you disassemble your wastegate to see if it is somehow shimmed or otherwise hung up. It may not be the spring at all.
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Tryo to post some photos of the disassembled pieces and we can take a look at what you got.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Fred, the spring length is 6.25in and wire size is 5mm.

And a pic of it Thanks pal!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have a stock .8 stock spring. I will trade you for a 1.2????

have one?

Bob
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Andial sells springs for the stock wastegate, $59.95.

Andial
1750 Newhope Street, Unit 1005
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
714-957-3900

I have a rebuilt with 3000 mi street use ('79 930) wastegate with 0.8 bar spring as well as new unused 1.0 bar spring. Anyone need either, send pm.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356-930 View Post
Anyone need either, send pm.
PM Sent!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Andial sells springs for the stock wastegate, $59.95.

Andial
1750 Newhope Street, Unit 1005
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
714-957-3900

I have a rebuilt with 3000 mi street use ('79 930) wastegate with 0.8 bar spring as well as new unused 1.0 bar spring. Anyone need either, send pm.

Hey 356-930,

What did you replace the stock wastegate with then? What were your reasons because I was wondering if there is a better system out there than stock.

Last edited by fredmeister; 03-04-2008 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: none
Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Fredmeister question, "What did you replace the stock wastegate with then? What were your reasons because I was wondering if there is a better system out there than stock."

I switched to a 46mm Tial WG to improve ground/street clearance and not performance.
I doubt a Tial WG is any better than a properly working Porsche WG. However, lots of lower/higher spring rates readily available for the Tials.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
356-930,
That is the ultimate Q-ship. Your car must be awesome! I cannot imagine the surprise on a Vette Z06 face when you smoke him in that 356.
That is pretty impressive that you could fab that installation in a 356 tub. I only imagine it is a handful of oversteer because of that rear weight of the turbo lump in the back of the car. Plus you are severely rear tire size limited.
Great looking ride!

Fred
Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO DAWG GO View Post
I have a stock .8 stock spring. I will trade you for a 1.2????
Bob so if a 1.2 spring showed up at your door, a .8 would at mine

Do they make a 1.2 for stock WG's?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Just hang tite as I won't get to it till the weekend likely. I may try to post spring rates as well, because I intend to measure the springs on a scale too.
Hay Fred...the weekend is upon us,,,help a bro out!
I swear there is not a single god-dam stock spring out there in the wild!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I will try to get to it today.....it is 1:55 A.M. here and gotta go to bed. Didn't forget you.
Hey I am posting some pix of my disassembled wastegate.....you should only have a small thin steel washer under the spring ends where they meet the cast housing cover. Looks like someone shimmed mine with a wheel bearing seal or something......you can see it on the right in the pix
Otherwise maybe the spring was shimmed inside to increase the boost?
Do you have pix of the guts of the wastegate that you disassembled so we can see what was in there?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
I am convinced stock springs are NLA as I checked everywhere.

Couple deals feel through trying to obtain one, so desperate
measures require me to post here before I just chuck the stock one and go Tial.

Anyone have a .7 / .8 bar spring for the stock wastegate?
I am willing to pay full retail if you want to sell it!
I might have what you need, do you still need it? i got a spring from my wrench, thoguth it was a .9 or 1 bar bec it's a little longer than my stock spring. I've got it in my car and it pegs at .8 bar on the handy dandy guage. I've since bought a 1 bar from Andial and will be removing this spring, so it will be an extra.

I'm playing superdad this weekend, so I might not get to the wastegate, but if you're still interested we might be able to work something out.

Pat
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

If you don't have a mechanical boost gauge you don't really know what your boost is.
The factory boost gauge and sensor are not accurate and even less so after 20 years or so.

The spring and diaphram in the stock electronic boost gauge sensor fatigue and become inaccurate after time so it takes less pressure to compress the spring in the sensor and it gives higher readings.

Also, the stock sensor is reading boost pressure from the intermediate manifold or intercooler above the throttle body, not below the throttle body in the intake manifold where you have slightly lower boost pressure.
This is the only place you can really get an accurate boost pressure reading that the engine is seeing because of the air flow restriction of the single throttle body.

Another thing that can happen is if a lazy or hung over mechanic ever cleaned the intermediate blow off valve housing in parts washer without removing that sensor, the solvent could get inside it and swell the diaphram in the sensor making it softer and it may give optimistic readings after that. Same thing goes for the overboost switch.

Good chance the one in yours is a stock spring.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If you don't have a mechanical boost gauge you don't really know what your boost is.
The factory boost gauge and sensor are not accurate and even less so after 20 years or so.

The spring and diaphram in the stock electronic boost gauge sensor fatigue and become inaccurate after time so it takes less pressure to compress the spring in the sensor and it gives higher readings.

Also, the stock sensor is reading boost pressure from the intermediate manifold or intercooler above the throttle body, not below the throttle body in the intake manifold where you have slightly lower boost pressure.
This is the only place you can really get an accurate boost pressure reading that the engine is seeing because of the air flow restriction of the single throttle body.

Another thing that can happen is if a lazy or hung over mechanic ever cleaned the intermediate blow off valve housing in parts washer without removing that sensor, the solvent could get inside it and swell the diaphram in the sensor making it softer and it may give optimistic readings after that. Same thing goes for the overboost switch.

Good chance the one in yours is a stock spring.
Hence my response "might have what you need".

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm thinking the spring I got is a stock spring, which means that it will be extra stock spring that I will have sitting next to my original stock spring once I install my new 1 bar spring, so I'd be willing to part with it...

Since I have a "known" spring now (the 1 bar) the easy test for my gauge (aftermarket vdo, no factory boost guage on 76) is to install the 1 bar and compare the readings to what the previous spring showed.

'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 03-08-2008, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: