Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There was a Pinto at Brett's shop when I stopped by a couple weeks ago. Had a cage in it. No idea what they had planned but it brought back memories of some of the stunts we pulled when younger.
Sitting right next to the Pinto was a nice 914/6...
Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

The Pinto is getting a V8 and unobtrusive street cage. Will be a dailyish driver for my buddy. Not my bag, but, it was Ben's first car and he has some sentimental value.

CopBait, you better take that picture down. Don't you know you can't turbo anything but a 930. OH my goodness, do actually blow through those carbs? Well we just can't have tall tales like this in here. What were you thinking? It probably blew up as soon as you turned the key. Absolutely beautiful. What did you do for timing? MSD boost timing master?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteener View Post
The Pinto is getting a V8 and unobtrusive street cage. Will be a dailyish driver for my buddy. Not my bag, but, it was Ben's first car and he has some sentimental value.

CopBait, you better take that picture down. Don't you know you can't turbo anything but a 930. OH my goodness, do actually blow through those carbs? Well we just can't have tall tales like this in here. What were you thinking? It probably blew up as soon as you turned the key. Absolutely beautiful. What did you do for timing? MSD boost timing master?
Brett:
This was before all that cool stuff. CDI boxes were high tech then. Besides I didn't have the money then. I think I took the distributor to a machine and stopped the advance short of full setting. That's what I did with the VW also. It was running 20# boost. The Porsche was about 7#. The wastegate was functional but the modified air-cleaner housing blew it's seals at roughly that pressure so no more was to be had.

The car was white with RS nose and tail. I took it out to the Indy infield for a car clubs gathering. Parking in the Porsche section, I ended up up next to "Todd and Muffy". They had a beautiful tangerine 911S. No lie, they were sitting at a small set of table chairs and they were sipping wine. I carried my Miller Lite out (you could drink and drive legally then) and sit down on my cooler. In time Todd mentioned the odd sound and showed some interest in my car. I explained it was turbo'd. I'll never forget him saying "well I think Porsche makes cars with those why don't you just buy one". Now I'm guessing your means, but that was like today saying why don't I just go buy a 997TT. A new 930 TURBO then, as do 997TTs now, cost more than my house. The difference being there were no USED 930 TURBOS to be had. Back then if you had a turbo Porsche you were rich or into home grown set-ups.

Last edited by copbait73; 03-09-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Well at least you didn't do a drawthrough with a 600 Holley. Personally I would rather build something than buy it. Most people can't even change the oil in their cars, so when I tell them I turbocharged my street car and it is better than the factory could do it, the look on their face is priceless. Probably why I don't fit in so well with the stuff old wine and cheese crowd.

Aparently Webers don't seal well against boost. But Dells do or at least they can be machined for throttle shaft seals. Very cool. You should move down south and hang out with the rest of us.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
There was a Pinto at Brett's shop when I stopped by a couple weeks ago. Had a cage in it. No idea what they had planned but it brought back memories of some of the stunts we pulled when younger.
Sitting right next to the Pinto was a nice 914/6...
ah a different ben? Easily confused I guess

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 03-10-2008, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes Ben, there is another Ben at Brett's shop.
Clear as mud. Ha!

I have some difficulty relating with the better healed as well. Huntsville is overrun with engineers which goes a long way in bridging the gap. The automotive projects that can be done by a wealthy engineer are mind blowing. The conversations might be a little hard to follow but the results speak a universal language.

Back on topic -
I think a mildly turbochaged narrow body SC would be a riot to drive. Very nimble, short gears, great off boost torque, a nice package.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Problem with the engineers in Huntsville is they are cheap. They don't want to spend a dime on anything.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: