Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Worth changing the colour?

Hi,

I have seen a black 930 who needs refurbishing on the paint. My question: what do you think about changing the color? do you think the car looses value if the color is changed?

wait for your opinions

thanks

Johann
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I personally think it does, but it is up to the eye of the beholder. Most people that change a color, change it to something neutral like black/white/silver. Haven't seen to many turned from black.

Here is mine, and I love the rarity of it. Still haven't found another 930 with my color combo on the east coast, and I have been looking hard. I wont be changing the color.

06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

A good color change is expensive and will effect the value in a negative way. you would want the whole car repainted

Black is beautiful! I would respray. Easy

Black 930's Rock

Just my .02 worth
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
LEAVE IT BLACK.......If the body is straight....Black 930s look great...IMO

Bob
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you plan to keep it forever you can paint it green with purple polka dots. If you trade cars often repaint it black.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Me personally, I love black but I changed my color from white to get it black and must say it takes a lot of work to get it done right.

If you plan on keeping it, I would go ahead and change it. If you are going to sell it in the near future, you may want to stick with the original color.

My 2 cents.

David
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As I recall the car is painted before assembly EVERYWHERE prior to putting the car together. To properly change the color one would have to completely disassemble the car. Why not just get one the color you want.

Last edited by voitureltd; 03-04-2008 at 06:20 PM..
Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That is true. I did a color change on mine (olive green to guards red). Stripped the car to the bare metal tub in order to paint everything.
Going from black to anything else is not so bad because missed or hard to get to spots will remain... black. Having hard to get to green spots would have been a real problem against the new red.
What color do you have in mind?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The car actually is black and needs repainting.

If you've seen my other posts, I was looking for an Indian Red with black leather inside. I found one in Holland.

Due to problems with emissions and homologations, its very difficult to register the car, so I am at my second option a 1983 Turbo.

This one is black, with no sunroof, black leather. it leaks a bit of oil and 3rd gear is not well rigged. but general condition is OK. I know the maintenace facility as well as the car has runned 30000km in the las 10 years.

I love red porsches as well as champagne color or silver grey, but as you say, I don't like seeing a car that's been repainted in another color, I consider it looses value. In case you paint it with the same color, you can consider it as refurbishing it and value can go up. Do you have the same feeling?

I want to know your opinion.

thanks

johann
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
craigerz

You will be miles and dollars ahead to NEVER change the color of the car unless you can do it yourself and know how. I have painted cars for 36 years, a quality job will cost about 1/2 the cost of the car, and have you pulling your hair out. Find a color you can live with... if it needs a repaint, don't change the color, and find a decent shop with a proven track record doing Porsches, but you better save up first!!! I just bought a white 930 ROW and although its not the color of my dreams, I'll live very happily with it!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you cannot find the car you want in the color you want then your options are pretty limited.

The only caveat I have on color changes is that they imply damage repair. Make sure you have documentation to support otherwise. A photo album of the paint change will add value to the car. It shows enthusiasm and pride in the project as well as condition of the body.

Folks don't seem to give a thought about $10,000+ engine mods that see zero return, so what's different about a color change paint job? If she is a keeper strip the car to the tub and have at it. Been done a gazillion times right here on the board with stunning results.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 03-05-2008 at 12:59 PM..
Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

If the rest of the car is original, then you have an argument to keep the color original.

I bought my 79 930 for $25,000 and within a year, I changed the color (in my basement) from Copper Brown Metallic to Ferrari Fly Yellow. A couple of weeks later, at a DE, I was offered $28,000, as it sat. I think if the paint job is good and the car is not in bone-stock original condition, it should not reduce the value of the car. Color changes are very expensive tho, not only for the labor, but also for the little stuff you'll end up replacing on an older car.

Buying, building and driving these cars is an investment - but more like a sub-prime investment.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: