Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930/66 vs 930/60

Hi,

can anyone tell me the advantages of the type 930/66 engine versus the 930/60 on a 930?

The thing is whether to choose between a 1980 930 or a 1983 unit. Which should be the main differences and advantages between one or the other model?

thanks and greetings from Spain

Johann
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Choose the one with the least mileage and the best aesthetics. The difference in sub-models will be insignificant compared to those factors.
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930assac View Post
Hi,

can anyone tell me the advantages of the type 930/66 engine versus the 930/60 on a 930?

The thing is whether to choose between a 1980 930 or a 1983 unit. Which should be the main differences and advantages between one or the other model?

thanks and greetings from Spain

Johann
Johann, I thought you already bought this turbo?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Not yet, we are having problems with the registration.

Being a 1980 year car, there is a lot of difficulties and costs to register it as well as pollution problems.

I have been offered a 1983 unit, its to know the big differences

thanks for the interest

Johann
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Johann,

Nice cars!

I don't know anything personally -- I own a 76turbo, and spend a lot of time reading/lurking here as I work at learning more about it. (this place is fabulous, btw) I was curious to see if BA had anything in his book -- it's not much, but gives some idea of the changes. From P85-86:

"The Turbo engine received enough changes to justify a new type number, Type 930/66, for the rest of the world. Most of the changes were made to improve running while complying with the world (exclusive of the United States) emissions laws. There was a new warm-up regulator to improve cold-running performance and throttle response. The fuel distributor was modified by the addition of what was called a capsule valve to improve teh fuel enrichment when the throttle was opened suddenly during fast acceleration. The engines had a new distributor with a double vacuum unit with a temperature-contolled vacuum advance for emission control. The exhaust system was changed to by-pass the wastegate exhaust through its own separate muffler."

He also mentions "no change in horse power". I noted in the back, there was a small uptick in torque.

hth.

kim.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks to you all,

although there are differences between the american and european versions (HP) the 930 series engine has the same base and the same compression ratio depending the accessories mounted.

look at turbos against atmospheric and you'll see ratios 6,5:1 or 7:1 against 9:1.

What I meant is if the 66 series engine is more reliable than the 60's one

regards

johann
Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

the earlier one is simpler and likely more reliable, if everything else is equal, which is rarely the case. early designs for emissions efficiency were retrofitted and often required significant trade-offs.
I'd use maintenance records, over mileage (or kms) as the determining factor if decided between two very similar engines.

Doug
Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: