Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'79 930 smog help

So,
I made a tentative offer (accepted) on a 1979 930. I have been so caught up reading on 86-88, that I completely forgot this model has different smog equipment and is not 50 state legal.

The car has a k27 turbo, 1bar boost spring, and an aftermarket exhaust (he is getting me info tomrrow).

So, can I pass CA smog with this set-up. Or will I need to get some thermal reactors, etc.

Thanks
Justin
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Is the car from Cali? Ask your seller how he has done when it comes to testing.

Get a PPI done! NO QUESTIONS!

Honestly, unless he has removed any of the emissions from the car and he has had it licensed,, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The car is in Washington, owned since 1994 and bought from original owner. Owner states all emission equipment is in place, however, I think this is a 49 state car, so it would be without the EGR (correct?).

I would really appreciate information on what the CA car has vs. the 49 state car, as for emission equipment. And, will I need the thermal reactors for the smog inspection?

BTW - as stated before the car has a K27, 1 bar boost, exhaust system, monoball front and rear suspension upgrades, 18" fikse wheels (a little big imo), top end redone about 20,000mi ago. In general the car seems to be maintained well and in good condition.

A PPI will certainly be done. Does anyone know a place near Bellevue, WA?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My '79 pasted smog with SSI's and DP muffler. I have all the smog stuff in place, air pump and lines, egr, etc. You don't need the thermal reactors, but need the rest of the stuff to pass the visual.
'79 930 3.5 twin plug, k27, sc cams, tial w/g w/1 bar spring, etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Doing some research and from what I can find, the only difference between the 49 state 930 engines (930/61) and the California 930 (930/63) is the addition of a vacuum control ignition retard system.

Is this somthing the inspectors will know to look for (i am assuming there will be a vacuum line from the intake plenum to the distributor...?)? I am just going to wait for a 50 state later model car if I am not going to be able to pass either the visual inspection or emissions test so I would really appreciate any info.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Gunson

When living in San Diego I bought a Gunson Gas Tester ($100.00 +/-) in order to crank down the C/O. Fattened the car back up after passing test. My 79 had Porsche applied decal that read "Non-Catalyst" on inside striker area of door. The Calif Smog Nazis are bad news so be absoultely sure of your "legality" EPS - Tucson
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Am I interpreting this correctly? That if I get a new job, move from Maryland to California, and bring my '79 930 there is a chance that I won't be able to register and drive it in Cali? Are there no "historic" registrations like here in MD that you don't need an inspection nor emissions check? It's a long shot, but I might be in this situation later this year........
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

'75 is the last year for no smog check. In CA your car needs to pass smog as well as a visual inspection. So the smog stuff needed to be there.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: