Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

No tabs or clips here either. Just bolted the PP to the flywheel and as it's tightened, the PP fingers tighten on the TOB, keeping in place (unlike an 911SC that takes the retaining rings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Thanks. Well it looks like I have mine right.
Has anyone reassembled a 930 pressure plate without using the metal tabs?
I keep wondering if this is the problem - but the tabs are removed after assembly - so I'm not sure what they do.
What have others done?
Alan
Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

If I could work out how to copy a pic from a pdf file I could show how the tabs are supposed to be used - but I don't know what they do. They slot in the gaps around the outer edge of the pressure plate. Remove after installation. Sounds like you guys did OK without them. Only thing I can think of that I may have done wrong.
So, what the hell is causing this strange clutch pressure.
Thanks
Alan
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Alan you just need to take a screenshot of your screen. Hold down shift and tap the 'PrtScn' / 'PrintScreen' button. Open up paint and paste your image in there. Save your image, crop if needed and upload
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I gave that a go - nothing happened. And I don't seem to be able to find Paint. May try to get some IT assistance.
Meantime pulled the motor and found problem. The thrust bearing lugs had rotated. They seem more comfortable sitting 180 deg from where I had them. Back in car now. Hopefully all works now.
But I am still mystified as to what these tabs do for re assembly.
Thanks
Alan
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The shift-prtscr does work. Keep trying, it's a handy feature of winblows.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Nathan, you are correct of course - as usual.
Managed to get it to work this time - I think.
So, does anyone know what the tabs are for?
Alan
Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Macht Schnell

Quote:
Nathan, you are correct of course - as usual.
Managed to get it to work this time - I think.
So, does anyone know what the tabs are for?
Alan
Hello,
Now that you have mastered that, you could have used alt - prtscrn to only capture the currently selected window. Paste it into Paint. Crop out what you don't want. Save as jpg or gif to get the size down through compression and folks will call you a Guru!!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-15-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I am learning as much about my computer as my 930.
Prefer working on the 930.
Alan
Old 03-15-2008, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Now I am a guru - thanks to the Pelican board.
I joined this thing to learn about Porsche. Now I'm doing Paint, and jpegs, and all sorts.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
To crop in paint:
Go to the 'image' toolbar and push 'crop' then drag a box around the part you want to keep and then push 'crop' again. Then save your image.

When you are ready to go the next level in altering physical picture size and separately the file size you will want to check out irfanview. It's a great free program.
www.irfanview.com

Last edited by NathanUK; 03-15-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm guessing those tabs are probably to line the disk up with the pressure plate and flywheel. I do know that you don't need them (use a plastic disk alignment tool).
Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

The manual calls for the use of an alignment tool - which all other clutch jobs also use. So, I suspect they are not for alignment as such, as the usual tool is specified.
It is a mystery - to me at least. And Porsche are not prone to adding useless or redundant steps in their engineering, in my experience. So, my curiosity still exists as to what purpose they are trying to achieve.
Alan
Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Remember

I think the clips youíre wondering about hold the pressure plate in a little bit for installation, hereís a picture of a new early 935 pressure plate with the clips I installed as part of a shortened G50 conversion.
As I remember, you could install it without the clips but the throw out bearing would hit on the clutch disc until the pressure plate was fully torqued down, if you got it torqued down without the clips itís ok and is probably not what is causing your problem.
Iíd look elsewhere.
Good Luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Thank you - that makes sense. My problem was the TOB had dislodged from the fingers on the lever.
The mystery of the tabs is solved.
They would seem to serve the same purpose as the screws you insert in a 911 clutch pressure plate - relieve the tension on the plate.
I can sleep now.
Regards
Alan
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
If I could work out how to copy a pic from a pdf file
Ah. Now, I may have clean fingernails and soft hands that I can inflict a near-mortal wound on with the mere slip of a screwdriver (this wasn't always the case), but i do know a thing or two about computers.

I'll post this in case it's useful to someone.

Copying the screen works - for some value of "works" (you lose information, because 75 or 100 dpi are typical screen resolutions), but a better way to do it is to convert the page from the PDF to a JPG.

Advantage being that you lose less information from the original PDF - unless you deliberately throw it away by selecting a fax-quality (150 cpi) JPG. (You do lose some quality anyway when you upload to this board, because it resizes images automatically to reduce disk usage.)

So how to do that? Ghostscript will read PDF and you can output to a JPG:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get853.htm

But it's kind of gnarly. Because it's actually intended to be something else (it's a Postscript interpreter that just happens to have a JPG output driver). So the GhostView graphical front-end to it makes it much easier to get the right page, select the conversion parameters etc:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get48.htm

That page has a download link for the Windows installer to a .EDU mirror that's often slow or flakey. Here's a page of mirror hits for the same (GSview48) executable;

http://www.filewatcher.com/m/gsv48w32.exe.1494016.0.0.html

And, gosh, folks still use Adobe to read PDF's? Try Foxit Reader instead. In comparison to the disgusting bloat/crashware that Adobe has become over the last 2-3 years - well, I'd PAY for Foxit. My own money, too. Happily, you don't have to because it's free:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

It's tiny (2MB download - that's it, that's a complete installer), it loads huge (400+ page) PDFs really quite astonishingly quickly and snaps through them really fast.

Unlike Adobe, it never hangs for disturbingly long periods of time whilst it eats your resources. There's really nothing missing from it - except things like Chinese HTML form entry support and spyware. And I don't want those anyway. Heck, it doesn't even check for updates until you explicitly tell it to...

irfanview was a good steer by Nathan. If you have a version of Office that comes without Paint, try The Gimp - it's a free Photoshop, and yes, there are 'Doze installers too:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html
Old 03-22-2008, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I'm gunna be a comuta geek in no time. Once I clean my hands and am allowed at the keyboard.
Thx
Alan
Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Thanks Spuggy.

I hated that Adobe bug where it tried to check for updates every time leaving you on a different screen. Totally sucked!

Even Vista warns me that Adobe Reader has problems and advises me not to run it LOL.

Hey Spuggy, these programs are so small downloads they must suck

Last edited by NathanUK; 03-23-2008 at 03:35 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: