Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Love of Cars

When I was born, my dad was away fighting in Korea flying A-26's for the U.S. Army Air Corp where he earned two distinguished flying crosses. When the war was over, he came home to us and opened an Esso service station, where on weekends I was lucky enough to go to work with him in his red 1950Ford pickup. If I wasn't riding my bike around the block, I was watching him repair cars, change tires, and/or give real "full service" to gas customers.

Hanging around the station, the love of cars was ingrained in me at a very young age...And still remains five decades later.

This morning I was in the garage half finished waxing my 87' 930 when my brother telephoned to tell me that our father had passed away just 10 minutes prior. My brother and I talked for a few minutes before we hung up and I just stood there next to my car for a few minutes to gain some composure/direction. After telling my wife and kids about my dad...And allowing myself a little time to shed some tears, I continued to wax the 930 while resurrecting a myriad of memories about my dad.

And I had to laugh when I found I had to wax the car twice because I was waxing the Pcar with the scratch remover instead of the wax since the two bottles looked almost alike...But that just allowed me some more private time to remember dad.

On the wall in my home office, I have an old black and white photo of my dad taken 50 years ago, surprised by and looking over his shoulder at a photographer while he was servicing his red 50' pickup with "Wally's ESSO Service Center" hand painted on the driver's door. He was tall, handsome, and had hair back then (and so did I since I was 5)...But it occured to me, today, looking at that picture after finishing my Pcar's wax job, that that is where I got my love of cars. So I just wanted to thank you dad for loving me and giving me this "Love of Cars"...
Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ice,

Buddy,

An A-26 (Douglas Aircraft) had (2) R-2800's with about 2000 HP a piece. He had a awesome time jerking that bad boy around on attack runs. He experienced things that heros do. Stick your arse on the line, hope you survive..Mother and country...He was a man! If its any consolation, your father lived a long life in the the most prosperous times in the US. He spent his life working hard to raise his family and provide a impression that meant everything to you and I as we grew up. Life was innocent and full of heros. ..Your father was a hero! Part of our constitution, our being, our country. Lest not concede what he did for you. Life, liberty, and the wisdom to make a prudent decision. An American! I can see that in you, from your messages and charm. Thanks for your post...We are all brothers who have fathers who are heros, some raised a flag on Iwo, others created Cartoons for the Stars and Stripes (My father). We are brothers..always ...Americans..Ice ...Your Pop is fine, he raised a good kid..Thats you and what it is all about!

P.S. Thats for sticking up for me last week.. If I was close to Tucson I would give you a hug..

Bob
Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
I just attended my Aunt's funeral this Saturday. She was a lovely woman. We all will miss her never ending smile and continual flow of joy to others. The celebration of her life was performed by the Tulalip Tribe and they gave her full honours because he gave to the and worked with them for many years.

From the time that I was a kid,,, I remember things that our family did with my cousins and their family. Suddenly, my life was passing in front of me on an overhead projection,, one that was telling her story, I thought of how quickly it had all passed. And now it was showing in a movie!

Time. We all have it. We all spend it to our liking. We were all children once and then we blink,, then we, ourselves, are having children. Then our children grow older and they have children,, and on and on the cycle continues.

The most important gift I received from the wonderful event and honour of her life was to appreciate each and every second of this life and all of the great people that we hold dear to us. Don't find fault in those that we have near us, nor those from afar,,, and reach out to those that need it!

Give and you shall receive!

Alexander Pope once said, "To err is human; to forgive is divine." Forgiveness is something that we all have within our hearts. We just sometimes need to give ourselves permission to actually do it!

Time is nothing more than a grain of sand for God. Our time is fleeting. When someone tells me they have "no time",, I always smile. We all have the same time in each day. It is just how we choose to utilize it that makes the difference.

Stop now and tell your loved ones how much you love them. Don't wait for tomorrow. Never go to sleep on an argument! Don't sweat the petty things. This life is so short! Don't live past someone and live to regret not telling them how you felt about them and how they positively effected your life.

Please accept my most sincere and heartfelt condolences, Ice. I know by your words that your Father was a wonderful man!

By the way, your Father taught you well. Your car is beautiful!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Very sorry top hear about your loss, best wishes to you and your family and yep, your car is gorgeous.

Take Care.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 03-10-2008, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
To be able to say so much in such a short fashion can only be interpreted as being sincere. To be part of such a wonderful and sincere story must be considered a blessing. I have the deepest respect for your farthers contributions to retain our freedom. Please accept my condolences. Consider this as a friendly thought from a across the pond.
Jesper
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Many thanks for sharing this touching story.

Though my thoughts and prayers are with you, only time can heal you, now.

Not to hi-jack, but my love of cars (and music) came by way of my hero, my father! In a couple of weeks, I'm taking the wife and kids down to FL see him and his newly acquired Triumph TR6, that he drives daily. Your post, reminds me that this trip can't come fast enough! Seems that it's all over in the blink of eye...

Where does it go?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Many thanks for sharing this touching story.

Though my thoughts and prayers are with you, only time can heal you, now.

Not to hi-jack, but my love of cars (and music) came by way of my hero, my father! In a couple of weeks, I'm taking the wife and kids down to FL see him and his newly acquired Triumph TR6, that he drives daily. Your post, reminds me that this trip can't come fast enough! Seems that it's all over in the blink of eye...

Where does it go?

wow sorry for your loss But I understand all of your thoughts on your dad as That some the same stuff for me as well

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the story,

It is a reminder to how important family and loved ones are and how little time we have on this earth. I recently lost my mother and had to be strong for the whole family being the oldest and I learned some things.

Time passes by so fast and in a flash you are the grandfather and not the grandson... A day arrives when you realize you have more days behind you than in front of you and your memories become just as important or more important than your dreams. Thanks for sharing your memories..........

Our thoughts and prayers are with you- Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sorry for your loss...

Growing up, I always shared a passion for Porsche's with my grandfather. I remember always getting excited to go visit, b/c I got to see his 930 (he bought new in 79), and sit with him and look through excellence, and car and driver. I remember one time there was an article about a $100k car, and I told him I wanted one of those. He told me that one day I will have one..

He passed away a little over a year ago, and left me the 930. Now every time I work on it, I remember him, and those times we would read the magazines/talk cars. Even though the 930 isn't worth $100K. He kept his promise, and in my eyes this car is priceless. I will be passing it down to my next generation.

Many don't understand the bond that is formed with automobiles, I however cherish it.

Once again, sorry for your loss, and sounds like he was a great man.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hello guys,

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind thoughts and reflections about my father. Dawg, Busa, Spence, Jesper, Sand man, MB, Mike, and Angmo...You all helped me get through, today.

It seems strange to be able to receive care from people one doesn't even know, but Angmo said it very well when he said, "Many don't understand the bond that is formed by automobiles, I however, cherish it." So, whether that bond is Angmo with his grandfather, me with my father, or you who responded to my post, that bond is there...And I would guess that is why I felt comfortable sharing this intimate loss with you. Because somehow I knew you would understand. And somehow I think of you as my friends.

So again, thank you for caring enough to respond and for sharing your thoughts and reflections.

My best,

Ice (Geoff)
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

It's very touching that you would chare those times of you and your Pop with us Ice.. I think I'll call my pop up and tell him thanks as well.
Brother just reading you rthread made me well up and tear some for you... I am SURE you'll miss the old man..

Kindest Regards,
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

God bless Geoff.

I lost my father (Hero!) 2 years ago.
He taught me everything mechanical and the love for auto's!

I miss him to this day, but know I will see him again
Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice post Icemann....sorry for your loss.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Sorry for you loss Ice Man, it's an unfortunate fact that our parents generation is fading quickly. We've got to cherish them while we still have them around.
T
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

My thoughts are with you, Geoff. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you had a great Dad and a special relationship with him and cars to boot.

I lost my Dad a year ago March 29 and his birthday is coming up on the 16th - we built many cars together and I still have his prized '56 Oldsmobile Holiday 88. The cars and the memories of him and I building them help me with the feelings of loss.

I hope you're doing ok.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Our thoughts are with you ..

My love of cars came despite my father's wishes, ha! In a strange twist I did all I could to make mods that were reliable and prove to him that I could do it and do it right. Dads influence their sons in various ways.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Iceman427 I think many of us here got started just like you did. Sorry for your loss. Even though my dad was a geologist first and then an lawyer he never minded getting some grease on his hands. I recall washing our hands off in either carbon tet or gasoline. What we didn't know.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Me like track days

Man, that was good. (sniff)

My Dad always had a love of cars, modifying them with his own inventions and processes. He was the co-inventor of the Flight Data Recorder -

He passed March 25th 2003.

I remember applying Pennzoil decals to the side of the front bumper.... of the 1973 Gran Torino station wagon.
Had a 429 in it - Dad would race across the empty parking lot of the Sears store, followed by "Don't tell Mom we just did that.."

Cars remain my #1 hobby, passion, and also happens to be my business.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks for your posts Rory, Cl8ton, Brian (did you ever figure out those oil leaks?), T, Tony, Brian B, Les, & Craig. I know many of you have had the same losses, and for that I feel for you, too.

Kindest regards to all of you and all those who responded earlier. I enjoyed reading your memories of your dads and loved ones and of the kindness you showed me. I am in your debt.

Geoff
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Thanks for sharing such deep and meaningful thoughts with us Geoff, like you said, complete strangers. We however are not in that we're nearly all 'the same', cut from same fabric certainly.

Godspeed to your father and I am thankful for his servitude. As said, time will heal you.

I lost mine out of nowhere 3 days after I turned 18, we grew up using his TR4 as a clubhouse out front. The loss forced me to join the Army to pay for school but moreso forced me to become a man. Now nearly as many years have passed w/o him than with him (a very odd point in my life I confess), I'm also forced into some iteration of Carpe Diem.

I restored a TR3 in his honor a few years after his passing (dad's 1st car traded on the new TR4 - one of 2 new cars ever in my family), and now live my dreams every day and ensure I pass them to my 3 kids in the way my dad did... but even moreso in that it's "today" as there just may not be tomorrow. I justified my 930 last fall at 34 in "that" manner, usually something one waits until their 40th 'crisis'.

Again, thanks for sharing. Stories like this are a great constant reminder to enjoy each day, and, that we're not alone here - love the fabric we knit...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 03-12-2008 at 07:44 AM..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: