Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Opinions on this 930

Now that my VW has been sold (never again) I have begun a serious search for a 930 to own. I found a nice looking car in Texas and I wondered if the experts here could tell me what you think of it. The car is an '87 930 that was bought by the current owner in 1989. It has been maintained by Mayo Performance in Texas and is currently driven about 1000 miles a year. The owner sounds knowledgeable about the car but by his own admission he is not a gearhead. Here are the mods he listed.

B&B headers
K27 Turbo
Racing Hart wheels and original Fuchs
new brakes
52,xxxx miles
asking price is $31.5

Mayo Performance has agreed to do a PPI for $300. I know the red interior is polarizing to some but I kind of like it. Any idea if the gauge faces are factory or if it is an aftermarket add on? What do you guys think? Anyone know the car?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Gauge faces probably not factory. I think you'll get a consensus here that the Fuchs are better looking on that car. Nothing wrong with the red if that is what you like.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I'm not crazy about the wheels either but someone on eBay might be

I think this would look pretty cool.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Why do the pics look like they were taken in 1987 and then scanned?

The gauge faces are aftermarket - pretty sure on that!!

The red interior is totally a personal decision on love it or loathe it.

If the car checks out from the PPI, then the price is decent.

The Racing Harts are period correct, I really like them and would look $hit hot if the center stars were painted black.

BTW...have the PPI done at a Independent where the car was NOT serviced, this way there are no bias reports.

BTW I also spy a B&B Muffler on the car and also the calipers have been painted red or upgraded to 993 Big Reds. The car also has 12 way driver and passenger side seats which was a pricey option from the factory.

Yasin
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Coincidentally, I spoke with this gentlemen yesterday. I had invited him over to chat and check out my engine rebuild in progress. He said he would drive the car when he comes over. Anything in particular you want to know about?

Mayo's is as good as they come around here. You can call the shop and ask them about the car. They are very honest, but I would still get the PPI from a shop that hasn't serviced the car.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Slow& Rusty makes good points.

Price is right. I would change the wheels to something else. Have someone else go over the car besides the primary service provider.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wiltell,

Are those cars supposed to be the same???? The last one is a 911SC not a turbo.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4duke View Post
Coincidentally, I spoke with this gentlemen yesterday. I had invited him over to chat and check out my engine rebuild in progress. He said he would drive the car when he comes over. Anything in particular you want to know about?

Mayo's is as good as they come around here. You can call the shop and ask them about the car. They are very honest, but I would still get the PPI from a shop that hasn't serviced the car.
I would like any info you can provide to a 930 newb who might want to purchase this car from out of state. If you have a digital camera that would be helpful as these are the only pictures I have seen. I'm curious about the brakes and I would like to know if the intercooler has been upgraded. Thank you for any info you may be able to provide.

Can you suggest another shop near the owner for a PPI?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO DAWG GO View Post
Wiltell,

Are those cars supposed to be the same???? The last one is a 911SC not a turbo.
I'm aware those are different cars, I was just referencing the picture as an idea of what to do with the wheels.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Willtel, that is one hot car- could you get the RH wheels with it?
The interior looks bada$$ as well- what color interior is it- Can can red?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I'm still slowly moving forward with the purchase of this 930 and I got the results of the PPI back today. The car seems pretty solid, there are some small maintenance items that will need to be looked at, hood struts, lighting not working in the engine compartment or trunk, torn door seal gaskets, old wiper blades and the air pump belt needs to be replaced.

One major concern that was revealed was the number 6 cylinder has a leakdown of 17%, all other cylinders are at 4%. From speaking to the tech it seems that it is loosing seal through the rings on #6.

Given these facts what do you guys think? From what I understand the leakdown should be above 10% for a good running car. Any way to tell how long before a top-end becomes necessary? I'm not expecting Camry-like reliability out of this car but I would like to cover 20k or so miles in it before dropping the engine for a top end refresh. I'm torn at this point, should I bite or keep looking?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: