Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fellow enthusiast in the Los Angeles area...any 930 owners willing to give a ride?

Good afternoon.

First off want to introduce myself as I've been a long time lurker and spend more time on Rennlist than here, but always love the comradery here moreso...as RL tends to be purely tech based.

A little background on myself. I am 26 yrs old, currently reside in Minnesota, and am a truck driver by trade. I'm comming from the 951 part of the Porsche world, though I've been without my '86 for over a year now. After going back and forth for that year between deciding if I wanted to jump into the world of big boosted MKIV Supras or back into a 944 T (and with some VERY convincing rides of both examples: got to drive a couple 700+ rwhp Supras, and rode in an 1,100 + rwhp Supra, a 540+ hp 951(DFASTEST951 out in Las Vegas) as well as a ceratin CT resisdent's 602 rwhp 951 both 951 owners are over on Rennlist).

The ride in 'Special Tool's' MONSTER 951 basically made the decision for me to get back into the 944 T platform. I was pretty much set to get into a pristine conditioned '86 951(a near clone of mine) with delivery set for early April. I had some very unexpected health issue be brought to my attention, so reluctantly, I talked with the owner and let the deal subside. Pretty emotionally hurt by the situation as I was excited to be getting back into such an able car(once modded), but alas...can't drive a car if your aren't in good health to enjoy it.

Over the past few weeks I once again had been torn between the MKIV and now 930's. I've ALWAYS lusted after them and knew I'd be in one soon enough....I just wasn't sure if I was ready for that kind of jump yet. My SN pretty much shows what I tend to do to cars when I mod them....get them as low in weight as possible for the ultimate 'bang-for-the-buck' in performance modification trade-off.

With that in mind, I realise that a big hp Supra will be good for nothing more than highway pulls(and in MN, the roadways aren't as well paved for high speed roll-on runs), drag races (which don't interest me enough to get into), and dyno runs.

A 930 IS for me as the attractive power/weight ration of these cars is rediculously good, and from numerous searches, it seems these engines(when not stressed...and def. when built) are far more reliable then I have been led to believe. Not to mention the body lines and the entire attitude of the car itself SCREAMS performance.

My former 951 was at a lowly 440 rwhp with about the same in rwtq, but I had the weight down from the stock 3,000-3,050 lbs to a CAT scale verified 2770 with half tank of fuel...it went pretty good. I know that it's drivabilty would be considered civil compared to a same hp/tq'd 930....which is exactaly why I'm drawn to these cars.

So, on to the thread title...I am delivering to the Target DC in Rialto today, and should be there around 3pm local time. I then have to take a 10 hr break as per DOT reg. so I have the afternoon/evening to burn and usually park the rig at one of the TA truckstops near the I-10/I-15 junction in Ontario. Last time I was even in the area was almost 8 months ago, but I love it. Temps should be in the mid 70's so hopefully that is cool enough out to not give any of the air cooled engines fits. I can drive the bobtail whereever would be best(as I usually drive all the way to Hollywood to play ball at the 24 Hr Fitness on Sunset near Vine), and would gladly pay fuel costs for a chance to see what 930's are all about.

Thanks in advance and hope to meet someone from the board.

In Barstow now, I won't be able to get back to the laptop until I get to LA...but if you want to contact me, cell # is 228/313-0072.

Sincerely,
Christian
Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Made it to the TA west truck stop in Ontario, although I won't be able to disconnect the trailer. Just picked up a high value and its a no no to disconnect until final delivery(which is to Garland, TX).

I'll stay here unless anyone is up to giving a ride along. I can get a rental car if need be to get to a meeting location.

On a side note, I've been doing searches for cooling on these cars. MN does get somewhat hot, although not as hot as California....more of a humid, muggy hot in the midwest.

Is the front oil cooler in addition about as good as it can get for prolonging an overheat due to sitting in traffic? I saw some references to water injection in a few threads here, but nothing more than just a mention of it with no real follow up as to if it's worth it on the 930.

We(my wife and I) lived in Phoenix for a year, and realised that if the intense heat was killing my hoses on the water-pumper, it must be absolute MURDER on the pre-996 911 cars.....which, come to think of it, is probably why I never saw any on the road in Phoenix.

Thanks again, and take care.

Christian
Old 03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Christian-

Great quest you're on, too funny. The fact that on your DOT required 10-hr break you hope to spend it burying tachs in 930s just cracks me up. Love it.

Well sorry not much help, but should your routes ever take you to CTland, I'm always willing to share keys with fellow nutters. Your 951 sounds like it must have been a hoot btw.

Good luck. Skip the Supra (admirable cars but who buys a car for 'dyno runs'?!???, big hp 951s are killer, but there's nothingnothingnothing like the 930 experience (like Jimi Hendrix?). That's just it, it's not 'a 930'. It's the 930 EXPERIENCE. It's truly astounding, I'm still in disbelief I have one each moment of each day...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Christian-

Great quest you're on, too funny. The fact that on your DOT required 10-hr break you hope to spend it burying tachs in 930s just cracks me up. Love it.

Well sorry not much help, but should your routes ever take you to CTland, I'm always willing to share keys with fellow nutters. Your 951 sounds like it must have been a hoot btw.

Good luck. Skip the Supra (admirable cars but who buys a car for 'dyno runs'?!???), big hp 951s are killer, but there's nothingnothingnothing like the 930 experience (like Jimi Hendrix?). That's just it, it's not 'a 930'. It's the 930 EXPERIENCE. It's truly astounding, I'm still in disbelief I have one each moment of each day...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes, sir...I'm not the normal trucker by any stretch of the imagination

I am actually having to take a 34 hr reset due to not being able to legally get this load from Mira Loma/Ontarion to Garland by Friday. So I'll be renting a car from the truck stop(which, I have over 3 yrs OTR experience and didn't even know this existed). Looking forward to actually exploring LA for the first time out side of bobtailing places everytime I'm here. It'd be nice if they had some P-cars...or hell, even an Elise/Exige...to choose from. But alas, I think they(rental company) believe old truckers can only drive a Magnum or Maxima That should make it easier if anyone wants to meet up...but it looks like I didn't give enough notice in advance.

I miss the 951, they are great platforms and the aftermarket has really come up for them in the past few years.

I know that a 930 is the vehicle I've been aiming for. I came very close to aquiring a Supra last year, but instead ventured back to 951 land. Even the build plan I made out for a MKIV(with as much weight reduction research as I could come up with for a street car), I would still only be able to get that car down to 3300 at best. It's better than 3600 lbs...but the thought of easily getting a 930 to the 2500 lb range gives me goosebumps. The sounds from the engine/exhaust/open wg(I'll never go back to an N/A car....turbo forever ), and the overall 'raw feel' of the car is something that can't be matched.

I can't wait for the opportunity to finally own a 930.

Is it bad when one gets turned off from considering a 965 because it has working A/C and is considered civilised compared to the original 911 Turbo?

Anyways, I can deal with the 'truck-shifter' feel of a pre-89 930...it's what I deal with for at least 10 months out of the year on a daily basis,lol.

Definitely will take you up on the offer for a ride along if I get back towards the New England part of the country.

Last edited by ANORXIC; 03-12-2008 at 08:38 AM..
Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANORXIC View Post
Yes, sir...I'm not the normal trucker by any stretch of the imagination ...Definitely will take you up on the offer for a ride along if I get back towards the New England part of the country.
I didn't say ride ALONG - I said you could take it for a whirl, silly. If you can pilot a 440rwp or whatever 951 and are a trucker you're more than qualified. Heh, I was in Motor Trans in CTARNG, I always joke that if I ever need a life change I'd get into rigs / heavy equipment. Issues I have 8-).

Offer stands! I'm surprised now one else chimed in for ya. Someone hook a brutha up - at least with a ridealong (I'm particularly generous with my keys, and others do same for me - CARMA!).

I *always* enjoy (frequent) seat time in my IT guy here's lightly modded 951 - like you said great platform. I in turn give him my 930 seat, he in turn fixes me computers 8-). Circle of Life...

ps. I came out of a 22psi //S6 and into my N/A //S8... always thought I'd stay boosted - but - it's best to have BOTH heh heh. The "no replacement for displacement" bit is part of it, but 11:1 compression and 40v 7k redline via roller cam followers etc. is not to be missed out upon muwhaahaa...

Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
I didn't say ride ALONG - I said you could take it for a whirl, silly. If you can pilot a 440rwp or whatever 951 and are a trucker you're more than qualified. Heh, I was in Motor Trans in CTARNG, I always joke that if I ever need a life change I'd get into rigs / heavy equipment. Issues I have 8-).

Offer stands! I'm surprised now one else chimed in for ya. Someone hook a brutha up - at least with a ridealong (I'm particularly generous with my keys, and others do same for me - CARMA!).

I *always* enjoy (frequent) seat time in my IT guy here's lightly modded 951 - like you said great platform. I in turn give him my 930 seat, he in turn fixes me computers 8-). Circle of Life...

ps. I came out of a 22psi //S6 and into my N/A //S8... always thought I'd stay boosted - but - it's best to have BOTH heh heh. The "no replacement for displacement" bit is part of it, but 11:1 compression and 40v 7k redline via roller cam followers etc. is not to be missed out upon muwhaahaa...

I'd hope I could. But to say the least, I was scared ****less the times I drove the 700 hp small singled MKIV, it seemed much like the on/off switch common to stock-ish 930's....nothing, nothing, then ZOMG-why is my molecular material changing form!!!
Needless to say, I haven't been an a car with real hp to speak of for over a year, let alone drive. It's to the point when I get home and use the wife's Mazda 6, I feel like I'm seated lower than in a Diablo,lol.

I think the lack of ride offers may be due to the fact I just joined yesterday en route from Nashville to CA. Saw the "Let's get sentimental" thread and figured it was time to join.

How far away from Danbury, CT are you. That is where the rediculous 951(still 8v, still 2.5L) resides, as well as a few other moderately modded ones around his area.

It would be nice to have that type of power in such a well mannered car, and was what I was intending the 951 I just let go to be(3.0L build with enough snail for at least 650 whp)....but it STILL will be just a 944 based car, which there is nothing wrong with at all.

But it all goes back to the 930 experience you spoke of. I'm at a point where I want a car that's only goal in life is to try to kill me,lol. To be able to come as close as possible to mastering a car like that, would be automotive bliss.

You are truly blessed to own such a machine. No matter what obsenities you may yell at it when something breaks or wears out.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Christian, I'm with Paul- if you ever get to south western Virginia give me a shout. Meet me for a beer and take a spin- or maybe the other way around.

The 951 is a great platform, I sold my 400hp version and bought the 930. Totally different animal but having had 911 s it was not a hard cross over. Hard to think if I would ever not own one.

I have friend in Fla that do not have any issues with overheating so that may be why you cannot find posts on it.

If you are in LA - near LAX on airport blvd is a hertz rental car pick up and drop off. Directly across the street is an exotic car rental co, I think called SunCoast but I cannot find the number. They rent everything from 930s to Vipers to Lotus etc..really not priced too high. I rented a boxster for a month while I was out in Dana Point for only $900. Nice guys too-

Good luck, hope you find what your looking for- Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthd View Post
I'm with Paul - Meet me for a beer and take a spin- or maybe the other way around.
Bwhahahaha - er, um, uh... yeah - important differentiation there certainly Mike! What he said.

Christian, I'm nearly exactly 1hr. from Danbury - well depending on who's driving what with what traffic 8-). CT's a small state, everything is 'close' enough. Your friends down there are blessed to have none other than Farnbacher Loles in their backyard - nice.

<<>>

Heh heh, ahhhh, my '87s no where near that bad. I think maybe moreso the 1st gen cars, sure. But, agreed - to be given the chance at at least trying to master the automotive conundrom / complication the 930 Experience presents, well - sign me up! I'll go down swingng at the very least 8-).

Again, good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthd View Post
I'm with Paul - Meet me for a beer and take a spin- or maybe the other way around.
Bwhahahaha - er, um, uh... yeah - important differentiation there certainly Mike! What he said.

Christian, I'm nearly exactly 1hr. from Danbury - well depending on who's driving what with what traffic 8-). CT's a small state, everything is 'close' enough. Your friends down there are blessed to have none other than Farnbacher Loles in their backyard - nice.

Def. hit me up next time you're gtg'ing with that gang there, sure would love to witness that monster 951.

<<>>

Heh heh, ahhhh, my '87s no where near that bad. I think maybe moreso the 1st gen cars, sure. But, agreed - to be given the chance at at least trying to master the automotive conundrom / complication the 930 Experience presents, well - sign me up! I'll go down swingng at the very least 8-).

Again, good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Anorxic,

where are you now? I live ten minutes from you up the hill in Rancho Cucamonga. You still in town?

Bob
Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

alittle off topic- Paul i just noticed under your name it does not say Registered user it says "Large Member"

TOOO FUNNNNY- how did you pull that off?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
shoe fit I guess?

8-)

Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO DAWG GO View Post
Anorxic,

where are you now? I live ten minutes from you up the hill in Rancho Cucamonga. You still in town?

Bob
Good morning, Mr. Bob.

Sorry I didn't check the boards last night as I spent most of yesterday sightseeing west Hollywood, as well as playing about 5 hours of pickup games at the health club there. I'll put off a load to get a chance to get together with you today if you have a chance.

Know exactly where Rancho is...up 15, correct. I played at the 24 Hr fitness on Foothill Blvd. a couple of times early last year. Low rims(about 9'10" was the general consensus) and fresh legs let me put on a nice show

I am still here. I'm waiting on a load now, but havn't returned the rental car yet. Let me know if you have some free time this morning.

I'll check the 930 forum frequently today as I still do a lot of searches for random tidbits of info(trying to learn what all can come off/be replaced with fiberglass for weight savings at the moment )

Christian.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Well, pretty disappointed as I spent 2 and a half days here and couldn't get a single 930 ride-along experience....though I did see a nice white one yesterday in the downtown area of Los Angeles going northbound on the 101, during 5pm rush hour....made me smile to see it out and about in the mess that is LA traffic. Easily the best looking car I saw during my time here.

Giving up as I lost a day of production waiting on word for a potential meet. I should have posted on Rennlist as well, come to think of it. Oh well, lesson learned. Headed to IL after picking up the load tomorrow morning.

Take care and be safe.

Last edited by ANORXIC; 03-13-2008 at 11:52 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Bummer to hear. Like I said, keys are here for you should you ever find CT in your travels, otherwise good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Bummer to hear. Like I said, keys are here for you should you ever find CT in your travels, otherwise good luck.

Most grateful

I may have to put in a request for a trip to CT. We can ask to be routed to a certain state or part of the country for time off if we want to, which is how I got out here in the first place. Been stuck in the midwest and southeast for the past couple of months....was finally time to get out west.

I'll let you know in advance as soon as I know I'll be heading up through New England, and I'll make sure to make a detour for some motoring fun

Thanks again,
Christian
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Sounds good - FWIW we're *always* up to automotive shenanigans around my place, of one form or another. I'm fortunate to have a good number of great friends with some impressive iron (of all marque's). Good times here certainly 8-).

Old 03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: