Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porschaholic

Garage
Rookie on the board...

Greetings all: I'm new to this forum and quite frankly very impressed by the vast reservoir of superior knowledge you all seem to possess... so enough with the butt kissing... here's my issue (loaded questions coming up): I have a 1986 930 that has problems waking up in the morning (I live in So Cal and the car is always garaged so weather is not a major issue... I think) anyway motor turns over but doesn't fire, I repeat the starting process three to four times saying prayers in between... but she just will not fire. I leave in anger and come back and hour or so later... and vroooom... she starts. (problem one.) I replaced rookie stuff like the fuel pump relays... the problem continues. Another Porsche guy suggested fuel injector issues, or fuel pump (but I hear the pump) so I thanked him... now I'm thinking fuel check valve but don't know its function. Can anyone offer up some info?

My second issue is simple driving and the engine shuts down... just random, no fast turns, or afterburners punched... just whenever... the saving grace is that I'm usually on the freeway and it will re-fire after a few seconds. Fuel filter? or this fuel check valve... any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Welcome Martin,

It could be a few things, but how long have you had your car and how long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter? If you have never replaced it, remove it and see if you can blow through it easily. If there is some resisistance, replace it (but if you can blow through it even with a little resistance, that probably isn't the issue).

As I'm thinking as I'm writing, it could also be electrical since it just dies on the freeway. Start at the simple stuff. Have you checked to see if you have spark when it won't start? If you have spark, it is probably a fuel issue.

There are a lot of real 930 braniac studs on here. You will find an answer from one of them. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Thanks Icemann: the filter is clear... electrical is good. And thank you for the opportunity to show her off. I just bought her 3 weeks ago...

Oh, she has a sister as well...

I appreciate any suggestions from the group.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Martinb- welcome.
My slantnose is the same color as that 930. All I could say is I want to yank the slantnose off of my car badly in exchange for the stock 930 fenders...
Pretty car man.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

I would go through a Basic Tune up just to eliminate all those causes. Check distributer cap, Rotor, Spark plugs, possibly adjust valves. None of these may be causing the problem, it just puts them in a known state. Check the grounding strap on the underside of the tranny. Take it off and clean up the contacts real good. I usually spin all the fuses in their holders to make sure nothing is intermittent there. The fuse blocks on these cars can be problematic. The next time you try to start it, you need to pull a plug wire and see if you are getting spark.

I've never seen a bad coil, but I'm sure they happen. Consider coil wire also. You have a lot of possibilities here. There is a test spark plug that snapon sells, JC Whitney probably has it, and possibly sears. It is a spark plug with a clip welded to it that you ground on the block.

How handy are you with tools and engine knowledge?
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a similar problem with a 930. Check the pig tail wire that feeds the distributer. There is a quick connect so when you remove the distributer you can just disconnects there to remove the distributer. When I took the connection apart the ground wire that is around the hot wire ( the ground is coated on the outside and wrapped around the inner (hot)wire insulated core. The outer ground was frayed from decay. They have internal sword connectors in the plastic quick connect plug that are soldered to these wires so get out the mini soldering gun for some up close repair. Once repaired I plastic coated the entire connection. Otherwise the CD Box can be intermittent especially if the before mentioned condition exists.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

sweet car, what kind of wheels are those?
50k:Lindren Green:B&B Dual Out Pipes:K27:965 I/C: --SOLD!!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They look like RH 3.6 ltr replicas. they are a GREAT!, perhaps the best looking wheel on a 930
Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Does the tachometer keep working when it dies on the highway?

The CD ignition box emits a high pitched squeel when the ignition is on, you should maybe familiarize yourself with this noise for future reference.

Sometimes, the plug on the bottom is loose and needs to be connected properly, it can be a PITA

You may have fuel issues on startup, sounds like you could be in a temp range where the coldstart valve doesn't engage or maybe isn't working??

There is a little plunger sticking up on the very top of the motor between the Airbox and the fuel distributor with all the fuel lines connected to it.

Sometimes you can turn the ignition on and push down on this plunger to give it a shot of fuel, it can help with vaporlock or other weird CIS issues, you should here the injectors squeel when you puch down, not too much or you could flood it... just a little "eek" should do...

I dunno, just a few things it could be... Good luck!

Last edited by rsrmike; 03-12-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
WOW... appreciate all the information!!

930gt-40r: you mentioned the color is it called Meteor gray or gun metal gray? Do you have the color code? The sticker under the front bonnet is very hard to read and a dealership couldn't pull the color code from the VIN...

Les: the distributor cap has been replaced, I'll check the grounding strap... that's about the extent of my mechanical abilities.

Voitureltd: Pig tail wire... errr*^$$&(&)(_?!

mdurbahn: Rory is correct the wheels are RH 18" 3.6 Turbo Set... but they are the real deal (cost in 2001 approx $2600) and a PITA to clean. But worth the work considering the look.

rsmike: I'll try the plunger approach... seems simple enough.

With all the suggestions I might be up and running by next Thursday. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know my progress, and also thanks for the kind words on the car
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb930 View Post
My second issue is simple driving and the engine shuts down... just random, no fast turns, or afterburners punched... just whenever... the saving grace is that I'm usually on the freeway and it will re-fire after a few seconds.Thanks
I had this exact problem. the red relay (yours might be yellow) in the engine compartment was getting hot and would open randomly shutting down the fuel pumps. Sometimes I could restart immediately (before I came to a stop I could restart). I replaced it and hasen't happened since.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Okay, I'll look into the relays in the rear as I had only replaced the 2 red ones in the front... thanks Bud.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Shutting down

Also check the large yellow overboost relay in the engine compartment, left side behind the plastic panel. This was my source for my 86 shutting down without warning. It has a circuit board, and mine had a "break" in one of the component joints to the board. Very easy to resolder. I just bought a new one and kept the old as a spare.

Could also be related to your hard start, but just to be safe, I'd ck all the suggestions in the above posts, and also ckeck your Cold (and warm while your at it) fuel pressures. That will rule out the warmup reg, FP and FP ck valve.

Last edited by timc; 03-13-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb930 View Post
WOW... appreciate all the information!!

930gt-40r: you mentioned the color is it called Meteor gray or gun metal gray? Do you have the color code? The sticker under the front bonnet is very hard to read and a dealership couldn't pull the color code from the VIN...

Les: the distributor cap has been replaced, I'll check the grounding strap... that's about the extent of my mechanical abilities.

Voitureltd: Pig tail wire... errr*^$$&(&)(_?!

mdurbahn: Rory is correct the wheels are RH 18" 3.6 Turbo Set... but they are the real deal (cost in 2001 approx $2600) and a PITA to clean. But worth the work considering the look.

rsmike: I'll try the plunger approach... seems simple enough.

With all the suggestions I might be up and running by next Thursday. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know my progress, and also thanks for the kind words on the car
I'll try again. This was the problem after 1/2 year of changing this and that with many hours charged at a very reputable race shop. The wire goes from the CD box to the quick connect then the pig tail wire goes to the distiibuter. Maybe the confusion is that the originals were brown curly wires called pig tail and the replacements are just straight green. It has 2 wires inside that are soldered to the inner male/female on both sides of the quick connect. The ground strands were almost all corroded off causing a poor connection on the quick connect from the CD box side. The quick connect to the distributer does often get changed but the other wire to the CD box is part of a engine wire loom and is not attended to.The inner copper core wire is plastic coated and a stranded metal ground wire is wrapped around it and has a plastic coat over that and is similar construction to the factory spark plug wires . It will cause all the problems you have as it did for me. It was a last resort after everything concieveable had been checked. I just got luckey to find it after all other options been exhausted. Good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
930gt-40r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Martinb- welcome.
My slantnose is the same color as that 930. All I could say is I want to yank the slantnose off of my car badly in exchange for the stock 930 fenders...
Pretty car man.
Do you have the color code by any chance?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FlashGordon
Cd Box
Old 03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

sorry for taking so long

961 93
meteorgreymettalic
Y5
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Not meaning to hijack

Martin,
Did you buy your car from a fellow in Huntington?
EDIT: Derik was the fellows name I believe... excuse my manners: Welcome to the forum!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...

Last edited by Quicksilver77; 03-13-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Is this the Martin I met at the PCA breakfast a couple of weekends ago? Had recently purchased a 930 from a guy in Huntington Beach. If so....hello...this is Brian with the blue 79 930.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Don't forget to also check the overboost switch. You could ground it temporarily to prove if it is the fault.

I'm thinking ignition too though.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: