Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Gasoline Question?

Hypothetically speaking:
Say your 930 was tuned for 93 octane and you were to fill it with 91 octane... what would happen?
Hypothetically of course!
-Sean
Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your Silver wouldn't be quite so Quick?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
Your Silver wouldn't be quite so Quick?
Okay,,, I'm crying here!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Your QuickSilver could become BurntSilver!!

Octane is a resistance to knock or Pre-Ignition, or Ping, or Detonation index. The higher the Octane number, the more resistant the fuel is to detonation, ie: the slower the fuel burns.

"Good" fuel or high octane fuel burns very slowly. The way this is accomplished in the purest sense is to make side branches on the carbon backbone of the octane molecule. The more side branches, the slower the molecule burns and the less resistant it is to detonation, or flash burning. A hydrocarbon chain with no side branches would burn rapidly down the chain, and readily detonate.

The cheaper option in the past was to add TetraEthylLead to the Fuel to make it burn slowly. I would have to dust off my Chemistry books to better explain TetraEthylLead, but suffice it to say, that Technology is long gone as an Octane Booster.

Octane, by definition, is a chain of carbon Atoms eight carbons long. You've heard of methane, Ethane, Butane, propane, pentane, hexane, and heptane, haven't you? Well Octane is the one we burn in our gas tank.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Geez,,, Les,, come on,, can't you see we were trying to derail this thing!

Prepping for Friday Guinness'.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certifiable

You guys kill me!

Well, I am planning to get the car re-tuned around my 91 octane, but in meantime would it make more sense to add an octane booster? or mix in a high octane race fuel?
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
Geez,,, Les,, come on,, can't you see we were trying to derail this thing!

Prepping for Friday Guinness'.
Sorry!! Missed the missing rails in the track!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
Well, I am planning to get the car re-tuned around my 91 octane, but in meantime would it make more sense to add an octane booster? or mix in a high octane race fuel?
Hello,
If it is a 930, retard the timing and reduce the boost with a .6 or .5 Bar spring, or lay off the throttle. Personally, I find it hard to lay off the throttle on a 930. I always say Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

There goes that priest in that 930, what an Azzhole!!

You get the idea.

My wife has a Mercedes, that takes 93 Octane, just suck it up and buy 93 Octane. Your only other option is to retard the timing a couple degrees.

EDIT: I may have mis-read this. Are you saying that 93 Octane is unavailable to you?

Last edited by les_garten; 03-13-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't think 93 octane is available in CA other than at racing fuel stations. Unless there are still some SUNOCO stations around which I don't think there is anymore.

Ice
Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey Busa...Where do you live?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Certifiable

Sorry I have been in and out chaps! F1 Practice was on!
CA does not have 93 Octane... So I am stuck with 91. The car dyno'd 370-ish on 93 octane, so I am expecting a pretty good loss after having the car re-tuned. But such is life here in beautiful CA!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Sorry I have been in and out chaps! F1 Practice was on!
CA does not have 93 Octane... So I am stuck with 91. The car dyno'd 370-ish on 93 octane, so I am expecting a pretty good loss after having the car re-tuned. But such is life here in beautiful CA!

What a sad situation!! 93 Octane is basically Swill!!!
There must be a solution for Porsche's in Cali.

I guess if I lived in Cali with Swill for Fuel, I would:

1) Find a source for Aviation fuel or Race Fuel
2) Find a fuel additive that works, like Toluene or Aniline possibly
3) Re-Tune Car with less Boost, Less Ignition advance, and possibly in the long run 6.5:1 compression.

4) MOVE THE F*CK OUT OF CALIFORNIA

Sorry about hat last bit, I was cutting the State of California out of all my Road Atlas's and got carried away.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Certifiable

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

LOL!!
Oh believe me! I keep telling myself I need to move...
Some place warm...
No emissions testing...
No outrageous taxation...
No actor Governors...
Just can't get myself to leave... Yet!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
LOL!!
Oh believe me! I keep telling myself I need to move...
Some place warm...
No emissions testing...
No outrageous taxation...
No actor Governors...
Just can't get myself to leave... Yet!
You are Talkin' FLORIDA BayBEE!!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Certifiable

Trade one coast for the other! eh?
What of the tropical storms? and rain every day at rain o'clock?
I kind of like having one month of rain a year! Guess I should have listed that in my requirements above!
When I was searching for my 930 I was quite interested in a car in Florida, so I did some snooping via google earth (nothing like looking into peoples backyards, and checking out their neighborhoods from the other side of the nation!) In any case, some of the homes on the inter-coastal? were amazing! But I am sure they are about as expensive as they are here. So I will have to wait for this recession to subside!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
How about 'Bamma? Low/no taxes, good weather, no smog laws, and MOUNTAINS.

My car is a STREET car and therefore tuned for 87 octane. You must tune for the worst that you will encounter and hope for the best.

The worst is ethanol blended 89 octane puke on a 95F day going up a mountain on boost after sitting in heat soak at the stoplight on the bottom of the hill.

My engine produces 300+WHP in those conditions so you can imagine the WHOOHOO! factor in the wintertime!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Would you choose 94 octane with 10% ethanol mix or 91 octane of regular gasoline? I know the higher the number is better but with higher ratio of ethanol blend, would that degraded the quality of the gasoline? What is the normal blend of ethanol in our regular gasoline?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I try to stay away from ethanol use in my CIS engine. Typical pump blends are 7% or less EtOH. Blends rob fuel economy as well and we need all the help we can get in that area.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Ethanol helps get the octane up, but question is The rated octane on the pump is that before or after the ethanol factored octane boost?
Ethanol is bad for the CIs because it mixes readily with water, and we all know water and the CIS fuel system don;t mix well.
Run some Jectron every once in a while to keep everything nice.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-14-2008, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I thought that it is o.k. to run up to 10% of ethanol blend for CIS.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: