Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First steps on the dark side

Just bolting up a new single outlet FABSPEED exhaust along with the air intake and a 1 bar spring.

Other than keeping the stock exhaust to return the car back to stock, which may or may not ever happen. Is there any market for the OEM exhaust/air intake? Value??

Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you need them for your annual smog checks?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Icemann,
Since the car is over 15yrs old it is essentially grandfathered in, which also gets around things like daytime running lights, impact bumpers etc. We have no smog tests to speak of, once a car is registered it is good to go.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

After installing the Fabspeed air cleaner, exhaust and 1 bar spring, I am noticing increased oil consumption decrease in mileage, soot around the exhaust tip and rear of the car(oil in the combustion chamber i assume). The car also smells like it is running very rich.
I am using 94 octane, no other mods to the car
Is this a air fuel mix issue? valves? Is 1 bar too much?
Any input appreciated
Old 03-23-2008, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

1 bar isn't too much IMO. That's what I have and haven't had any issues. I believe the cut off switch is at 1.2bar.

I wouldn't be surprised at lower mileage. Because you probably gained some HP with your mods and might be running it harder.

Yes, the first thing I would make sure of is the AFR. Get that set and try again.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
1.0bar may be too much if you are also using a stock intercooler.
More heat is added with more boost and should be offset with a more efficient intercooler.
Mileage and oil consumption should not be significantly affected if driving habbits remain the same.
A/F ratios should theorietically be more lean with higher boost and free flowing exhaust.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Options for an IC...I am a little wary of B6 quality, fit and serivce issues.
Other choices??

I would have thought the same thing that the car would run lean if anything, but the soot on the tailpipe etc tells a different tale. Hypothetically, if the O2 sensor is out of whack does the car "default" to a rich mix?

Les suggested an LM-1 AF Ratio Meter which sounds like a must have. Or the in dash by C2.

Again thanks for all the input...great info on this forum for a rookie
(at least i fixed my clock yesterday)
Old 03-24-2008, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a B&B intercooler and I'm very happy with it. It's a direct bolt in replacement. Those other units include updating to a BOV etc. I like the simple drop in place.

I started out with a Gunson. Where I set it with the Gunson then checked it with the LM1 and it was right on. The big difference between the two is the LM1 will give you the AFR for all RPMs. Plus it saves the data. I recently sold the Gunson and upgraded to the LM1.

Yes or if you unplugged it it will run rich. From my understanding of these cars though is it only uses the O2 sensor at idle. Long story short, unplug the sensor and set your own AFR. This is what I did.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm assuming you removed the catalyst to intall the exhaust?? If so it will ALWAYS smell rich. (even if it's lean) The cat is a pain but it does wonders for exhaust smell.

Most fairly stock 930's will run rich at 1 bar if everything is working right. You will definately use more fuel as well. I would bet you already had a fair amount of oil consumption but perhaps it wasn't as noticable?

You may be driving the car harder due to the increased fun factor of more boost/noise- This will increase fuel and oil consumption.

Stock intercoolers aren't as bad as people think if you stay on public roads in an average climate. They are more than effective enough to get your @ss locked up in jail long before intake temps become a problem. Track cars are a different story...

How much oil are you using? You may want to divert your intercooler money into a top-end rebuild fund if it is excessive. The added heat/pressure of 1 bar will certainly accelerate the valve guide wear. Carbon build-up and oil mixed with the air/fuel is a nasty recipe for detonation, especially at 1 bar, even w/ a better intercooler... $.02 good luck
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Me like track days

1 bar with no other changes.........no good, senor.
Your AFRs need a checkup asap.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I advised this also. Stock 3LDZ, stock IC + 1bar is not ideal.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Me like track days

"Jingle, clingl clink" hey that's the broken rings song!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ok now I am thinking about back down to .8 bar. Very gun shy as I do not want to gernade the engine
I am monitoring the oil and fuel consumption, the fun factor definitely plays a big part.

For my knowledge what should the upgrades be to support a 1 bar? I understand the IC but the turbo? etc.... and why

I will have the AFR dialed this week.

Thanks again
Old 03-24-2008, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You mean these custom rings Craig ?

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
Ok now I am thinking about back down to .8 bar. Very gun shy as I do not want to gernade the engine
I am monitoring the oil and fuel consumption, the fun factor definitely plays a big part.

For my knowledge what should the upgrades be to support a 1 bar? I understand the IC but the turbo? etc.... and why

I will have the AFR dialed this week.

Thanks again
The stock turbo will produce very hot air at 1bar compared to a K27.
I went for a K27HFS.

You may well need a Brian Leask WUR with the RPM solenoid to get the AFR as correct as possible.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: