Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Adjusting the AFR's?

Hello again folks!
I know I am a total FNG before I ask this, but I need to adjust the AFR's to cure a hunting idle... and well... I need some help locating the proper screw to turn... (left lean, right rich correct?) anyone have a picture to help a noob out?
Thanks in advance!
-Sean
I hope the dumb questions of mine stop soon! I feel like a tool!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Not my picture but an excellent example.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certifiable

Thanks a ton Brian!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Do a click at a time...... a little goes a long way.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certifiable

I will absolutely take it easy on the turning of the fuel mixture screw...
In fact if I can't get the idle cleaned up with in a click or two left... I will run it to the local indy for a quick once over with the CO meter.
Thank you for your advise!
-Sean
Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Make sure you don't have a vacuum leak first, otherwise you may still have the problem.
What makes you sure the idle screw needs turning, did you take a CO reading already?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Remember that you need to gently push down with the allen key and then turn it so that the allen bolt which is spring loaded upwards engages into the slot below it before you actually make an adjustment.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certifiable

Fredmeister,
I did the starter fluid trick-a-roo, and noticed no perceptible change in idle, or the fluctuation thereof after spraying everywhere. (Hopefully eliminating the vacuum leak possibility?) She is experiencing hard cold starts, and I have the very strong scent of fuel at start up, and idle, with the idle fluctuating between 800-1050 rpm. Which leads me to believe that the I am on the rich side. (Is my diagnosis sound? I'm still a FNG!) I am going to take her in for a little dyno/AFR work Monday to get everything dialed in on the 91 octane fuel, and verify the AFR's under load, but I figured in the meantime I will give it a click, or two, toward the lean end of things to try to cure the hunting idle. Until everything is sorted on Monday I will be off high boost levels and just tooling around town, if I do take her out.
Thanks for your advise!

NathanUK,
Thank you very much for the tip!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Sounds like you are not so bad after all. You seem to have a good grasp on things.
It is tuff to work on adjusting these cars without the equipment. I won't touch mine till I get a good A/F meter system so that I can measure things to see what really is happening. It is too easy to screw things outta whack without gages.
Remember to count the number of clicks from where you started so that at least you have a reference point to go back to.
You should run a check on system pressures as well. Get yourself a CIS testing kit and makes sure the injection pressures are set correctly. Cold system, warm system and Control pressures need to be in spec before going anywhere from there.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: