Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Will this work?

Just about to button her up and take a drive this weekend and I seem to have a minor alignment issue with the turbo and the intake pipe. (see pics). I've tried to loosen the hose clamps at the top of the elbow pipe and adjust but there's not a lot of wiggle room as the turbo pipe to the intercooler is resting against it and it's a tight fit. I can't figure out how to make this thing fit better without cutting up the tube- and I'd rather not do that. It's on the low pressure side and may not affect flow too much so I'm wondering if I can just attach the hose clamps and let her run as is? Would appreciate some feedback- maybe there are some tricks of the trade that I haven't thought of yet.

Last edited by jay71; 03-19-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

...was reading Quicksilver's Kokeln post and saw where Fredmeister may have had the same issue. Fred- if you read this and happen to have a shot of what you did to modify yours please post (or anyone else for that matter). Thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Response

My .02 cents.

I would put the hose clamps on (as you can still use them for added support) and call it good. I don't think this will give you a problem at all.. Not Ideal, but it should be fine.

Bryan
Old 03-19-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hello,
No problems mate. However you could look into making sure the "dimple" in that feed pipe is sufficient. You may want to extend it a little to get better alignment. There is no pressure here, only suction. In the global scheme of things it won't matter much.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Bryan and Les.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
Just a few more observations. In the engine compartment that pipe ends in a slip joint that can be used for adjustment. So I would clamp the bottom first and then clamp the top and see if that helps. Also, I looked at the Pix again and wanted to make sure you had the right silicone at the bottom. There may be a pipe size difference so you may need a 2.75" to 3" transition. I can't really tell if yours is correct or not.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hi,
Just a few more observations. In the engine compartment that pipe ends in a slip joint that can be used for adjustment. So I would clamp the bottom first and then clamp the top and see if that helps. Also, I looked at the Pix again and wanted to make sure you had the right silicone at the bottom. There may be a pipe size difference so you may need a 2.75" to 3" transition. I can't really tell if yours is correct or not.
Thanks Les. I tried unclamping both clamps at the slip joint but the metal pipe is "cradled" into position where the indentation contacts the sheet metal surrounding the motor- it was mentioned earlier that I may be able to make the indentation a little larger in the pipe to allow for more movement...maybe that would allow for the adjustment at the slip joint that you're referring to. I'll give it a try this weekend. With regard to the silicone hose, it's 2.75" and both the K27 7200 and the intake pipe are isodiametric (thought I'd throw in a big word to compensate for my lack of mechanical prowess) so I think it's the appropriate size. I think the more "modern" turbos (K27S, HFS, etc) have the larger, 3" opening. The silicone I'm using is thinner and more maleable so it bends a little more which allows for a more acute bend and strange appearance to you.

On a side note to liven up this thread, my friend sent me this link:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=73e_1192001762

Somehow they were able to get a mini camera inside an internal combustion engine, filming it running.

Last edited by jay71; 03-20-2008 at 07:26 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
I believe when I did my K27 that I had to re-dimple a little. I took a Ball peen hammer and another hammer. I sed the ball peen as an anvil. It's been a while but it was definitely a re-fitting deal. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Hi,
I had the same exact issue with my K27S install and ran a 2.75 to 3.0 inch adaptor silicone piece there. The k27 has the 3.0 inch O.D. inlet. Either way my inlet pipe sits off center just like this, and this is due to the turbo being too high, no dimpling or other reasons for it. I was disappointed with the alignement of the new k27S and GSF headers, and don't know which part is to blame.
I hose clamped it down and so far no issues. Getting the reducer silicone hose was key because the stock OEM inlet hose is too small and stiff to make work. I would like to center that tube to optimize the flow, but not worth removing it and cutting out a 1/8'' section and rewelding it, it is the suction side which makes it more critical then the pressure side, but what can you do.
What turbo are you showing here BTW? Looks like GSF headers from the photo?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Fred- it's a K27 7200- so the diameter is the same as the intake pipe; 2.75". I used silicone tubing from Hose Techniques- it's more flexible than the stock stuff so it can negotiate that bend. The headers are from GHL. Turns out GHL didn't design the exhaust system- they purchased the design from another company. It's possible that some of these systems were designed by the same company lending to some similarities.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That's an awesome video showing the combustion cycle. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
That's an awesome video showing the combustion cycle. Thanks!
Sure! I snuck that in there- probably is worthy of its' own post but wasn't specific to 930s so I didn't pull the trigger. I was feeling bad for starting a "boring" thread!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Isn't that just a 2 stroke engine? Sorry - I'm not a mechanic...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: