Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Adjustable Center Outlet Muffler - On the road and lovin' it!

I sold a Zork and 934 style waste gate pipe to a fellow here on the board a few months ago. Turned out the Zork was too loud for the track he ran. After a few conversations we decided a center outlet muffler would do the trick so it was off to the drawing board.

One issue with all of this stuff is precise fitment given all the turbo and header setups. Ben and I put our heads together to create a design allowing for all sorts of adjustability without adding a bunch of cost. The end result is just wonderful. You can adjust this thing laterally, front to back and up and down.

You can adjust it to be used with or without a valance.

After all the fitment testing I sent the prototype to its new home. Shortly thereafter I HAD to make one for myself! I put it on early this morning, took maybe 20 minutes to remove the existing muffler and valance and to do all the adjustments for a perfect fit. I just had to share it with you all.

All of my mufflers have incorporated this modular adjustable design. You will be seeing many pictures of the new stuff as it is developed.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I *REALLY Like that setup....so a few questions and one critique...

1) How light is this set-up?
2) What brand of muffler are you using?
3) Did you notice any decrease in power going from the Zork?
4) Is the car overly not loud?
5) Is there a worry due to close proximity that the hot temps from the pipe might eventually flake the paint on the valence, if the valance is re-installed?

My critique...
1) I think two outlet pipes centered (using the same dia. as yours) would look killer!

Are you selling these? Can you please share a cost?

Regards- Yasin
Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

That looks pretty nice! Looks like spring is happening in North Alabama!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great work.
I think a centre twin outlet would look really good too.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 965addict View Post
Great work.
I think a centre twin outlet would look really good too.
Sorta like this??? Hey come on, they really are not that loud just like this with a TT, especially if you get the right "sporting" officer
Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Hi Brian, that would be great to have a little vid on youtube...I just want to hear yours....waiting mine......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Seriously, that is a sweet setup for a residential drive. I could use that (take off )934 Zork if it is adjustable to come out without a valance for a different car. This one
Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Brian - I am really enjoying the center outlet muffler. I meant to take some pictures while I was at the shop today testing out my new shortened gearbox but forgot (too intoxicated from the new found thrust in the top gears!)

Out of curiousity which of the muffler cans did you use on your personal unit and whats the volume difference if you used the quiet one. I really like to tone on mine but am thinking it may be a little too muffled for my purposes. I'll shoot you an email regarding it.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've taken several drives today! God I love this thing!
The tone is perfect. Idle is a touch louder than stock - yes stock - and the growl grows with the right foot pressure to a nice roar on boost! Cackes and pops on decel. The only down side is the turbo whizzzz is gone. The muffler took it out.

Yasin, all the components are manufactured by M&K, the muffler body included. All is 321 S/S and the entire system weighs 10 pounds. Please check out my website for more info and pricing.

A dual center outlet (aka GT3) is on the list. I plan to make a short and long tailpipe pre-cut, one for use with the valance (longer) and one without (as shown). The GT3 will have a slip joint as well but will need to be trimmed to order if a valance is used.

I don't know if it is obvious to all but the 180* pipe rotates counter clockwise to pull the tailpipe back and up towards the bumper. Rotate the opposite direction and the tailpipe comes down and out to clear the valance. The resulting tailpipe sticks out further so a trimmed version is needed for that application.

Rob, the version on both my car and yours is muffled. I have an expansion chamber that I can swap you if that would work. The unmuffled expansion chamber is pretty loud but not Zork loud.
Shoot me an e-mail and we'll get 'er done.

No YouTube yet but I am working on finding the right equipment to get a more accurate representation than I typically see (which is ALWAYS muffled).

voitureltd, this design was made to work with my 934 style waste gate dump as a set if desired.

Yes spring has sprung, it is dark now and I think mama needs a loaf of bread. Wonder if this thing shoots flames

Old 03-22-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Brian, the Kremer car uses the standard euro headers and wate gate mounting location as it was (neutered) federalized upon importation in 85. It will benifit greatly from a more open system, however I would like it to exit from the open area in the middle section (See Photo).Will your take off be able to do that? Ben@M&K is just up the road for a more custom set up but why reinvent the wheel if your set up has been returned and looking for a wastegate & turbo to be bolted up to. As you can see on the car in the previous post I do try to get away without silencing devices. Usually try to travel near trucks or with a HD thumper nearby in case the valentine lights up.

Last edited by voitureltd; 03-22-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Ben manufactures all of my components. The 934 W/G pipe and muffler tailpipe would exit in the open space of your Kremer valance. If all of your nuts are loose it'll take about 20 minutes to install. You'll probably need to jack it up 6" with that valance in place.

I've got a 934 W/G pipe coming next week that I plan to modify to have the same adjustability as the center outlet muffler; both will be capable of use with or without a valance. That is the design you will want to perfectly fit your Kremer.

If you like I can mod the 934 pipe and send the hardware kit to Ben. He will manufacture the muffler components and package it up for you. I'm sure you wouldn't have too difficult a time convincing him to deliver them for you.
Shoot me an e-mail at Brian@RarlyL8.com and we'll work it out.

Love the Kremer by the way. My favorite sense the 80's. Those relocated rear tail lights create an awesome look!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Brian - Will give you a call to clarify a few questions. But looks great and I am VERY interested.

Regards - Yasin
Old 03-23-2008, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brian- I'm very interested too. Single or dual outlet with 934 wastegate style tube would be killer. I see in one of your pics that your valence doesn't have a cutout on either side for exhaust, which looks proper...it might even be cool to cut out a center section for the exhaust to come through. Did you make your own valence- or were you able to obtain it from a supplier? Haven't been able to find one here. Keep us posted as the product nears readiness for market.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes, I sell valances as well. They come uncut and I cut them to fit the application. Sold quite a few. Most popular is dual outlet (one opening on each end). 930LDR did cut his valance in the center to fit the zork and now the center outlet muffler and 934 pipe.

I should be able to do the 934 W/G pipe fitment next week. Shoot me an e-mail with your contact info and I'll put you on the short list.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Yes, I sell valances as well. They come uncut and I cut them to fit the application. Sold quite a few. Most popular is dual outlet (one opening on each end). 930LDR did cut his valance in the center to fit the zork and now the center outlet muffler and 934 pipe.

I should be able to do the 934 W/G pipe fitment next week. Shoot me an e-mail with your contact info and I'll put you on the short list.
Will do- thanks!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Looks like just after the muffler would be a great place for a WBO2 sensor install- it would be far enough away from muffler tip and the acute 180 degree bend right after it may help to get more accurate measurements at idle- hopefully there'll be enough clearance up there to fit the sensor.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The picture of my dual outlet prototype below shows typical placement of the O2 bung. I can put it wherever you want it.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The only down side is the turbo whizzzz is gone.
Brian, you can probably regain your turbo noise by simply cutting out a section of the turbine outlet gasket. Just remove the section between the lower two bolt holes. The small exhaust leak will not present a nuisance but much of the noise will return.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks for the tip but I like it just the way it is. For my ears the sound level is absolutely perfect.
I discovered a similar phenomenon a few years back when I burned up my first turbo gasket, ha!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the tip but I like it just the way it is. For my ears the sound level is absolutely perfect.
I discovered a similar phenomenon a few years back when I burned up my first turbo gasket, ha!
Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many "defective noisy" turbos are changed out on warranty when the only problem is a burned/omitted gasket or loose v-band.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: