Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Official weight

I just got my car weighed on a Fairbanks scale (+ or - 20 lbs. accuracy) within 2 miles of completely topping off the gas tank.

2520 lbs. Which is about 2390 lbs. dry weight.

That is down 160 lbs. from my last weigh in. I removed the front and rear bumpers and put a RS America rear wing on the car. Also I removed the windshield washer system and the upper and lower insulation behind the rear seats. I installed a Deka style dry cell battery which has been good so far. It is called a BIG CRANK battery, but Deka is the actual manufacturer of these incredibly light and strong batteries. Much cheaper than Oddysey batteries and also stonger for the weight with better reserve life.

The car appears utterly untouched inside, full luxury interior, and the bodywork lines up perfect on the outside. Removed rear speakers, but stereo works fine up front.

Weight of items removed:

Big interstate battery 35 lbs.

rear bumper with shocks 45 lbs.

front bumper without shocks 25 lbs.

rear insulation- top 8 lbs. bottom 17 lbs.

rubber tea tray tail (kept the decklid, removed tail only) 27 lbs.

miscellaneous crap: fog lights, front shocks, washer system 34 lbs.

rear speakers 4 lbs. (not worth it, but too late now)

Weight of items installed:

Deka (big crank) battery: 17 lbs

RS wing 13 lbs

rear Getty bumper 8-10 lbs

front GT racing bumper 6-8 lbs

For a list of weights for items previously removed, search under 'weight' and pull up my older thread.

I had a f#cking miserable experience with a product I saw in a competitor's catalog to Pelican which ended up being a Better Bodies part. It was such a f#cking piece of **** that I simply threw it out and took a $550 loss right on the chin. F#CK YOU BETTER BODIES, YOU SUCK. I don't care how friendly your salesperson is, YOU SUCK.

The Getty bumper was a WORK OF ART.

The GT Racing bumper was ultra lightweight and fit correctly, but cannot be compared to Getty in actual quality although it is a fine part and great for racing.

Pictures will be released when the car is lowered and aligned again. Currently it is simply bouncing around on the suspension, and is about two inches over Euro ride height.

I am definitely done for now. The only thing I can do at this point anyway would be to turn the car into a stripped racer, and it just isn't worth it. At this point you cannot tell that the car has undergone an extensive weight loss program.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Sounds like this thing is a beast.
I am intersted in seeing the front bumper install and how clean it looks. My goal is to find a good fitting clean 934 style front lower valence but noone seems to be making one for the 930.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Believe it or not, that is pretty close to what I just took off my car. A DP 935 style front fiberglass lower fairing. I don't know if DP still makes them. You should check. Mine is painted red, and used, so it might not be the best starting point for you to buy mine off me. There is another guy on here that has the identical look. I think he is 930Rudy or something like that. I could be wrong.

DP has a really weird link, the site is in the UK I believe. Somebody probably has the link around here, I have seen it before. It is a dot net or something.

Another company that makes a lot of racing stuff is AIR. American international racing, I think. They have 934/935 stuff at their website. Not sure about their quality, probably only average.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Can you send me some pictures of yours both on and off the car?
I am interested on seeing how it is mounted too, so some shots of the inside where the mounting points would be cool as well.
Will run it by the boss to see if I can have an early Xmas present....

Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
911rudy has the front spoiler.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/members/28794.html
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 03-23-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Can you send me some pictures of yours both on and off the car?
I am interested on seeing how it is mounted too, so some shots of the inside where the mounting points would be cool as well.
Will run it by the boss to see if I can have an early Xmas present....

Thanks,
Fred
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing...I took the DP style lower valance off my car so any pictures I have of that are just pictures of my car the way it used to look. That valance hung off my stock bumper just like 911 Rudy's does. Identical.

The new bumper I have on now is part#44 from GT racing, which is a complete bumper cap. Totally different part. It replaces the entire bumper as well as the DP valance and I removed the fog lights and parking lights and shocks and everything and simply hung the GT racing part by drilling holes along the upper lip so I could bolt it to the stock bumper bolts that run along under the front headlights along the fender. Gt racing also was smart enough to include brackets which bolt directly to your bumper shock mounts on the frame of the car where the bumper shocks used to be held in place. In order to keep the bottom of the GT bumper from flapping at higher speeds, I also was able to find a place on each side of the frame to hang a little aluminum tube which I bolted to the bottom of the bumper on each side. I attached bolts to the bumper bottom corners with fiberglass epoxy so as to attach the tubes. In other words, the tubes basically push the corners of the lightweight bumper out so that they cannot flap in the stronger winds. You won't need to do any of this stuff to attach a lower DP valance to your stock bumper however.

Actually I need to give my helper most of the credit, he has been doing this stuff for years and all the good stuff was his idea. Thanks Joe.

If you want to see the DP valance, I no longer have it on the car at all.

I will be happy to help, just need to know what you actually wanted to see. I suppose I can get some pictures of how my DP valance attaches to the stock bumper since that whole unit is sitting in my basement now that it is removed. Is that what you would like to see?

My last digital camera stopped working, it was a cheapo one. I think my new cell phone can take pictures...

Last edited by DDDD; 03-23-2008 at 05:08 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote: I will be happy to help, just need to know what you actually wanted to see. I suppose I can get some pictures of how my DP valance attaches to the stock bumper since that whole unit is sitting in my basement now that it is removed. Is that what you would like to see?
=======================================
Yeah I would like to see the DP valence like you described so I can see how it mounts and what condition it is in.
=========================================
Quote: Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing...I took the DP style lower valance off my car so any pictures I have of that are just pictures of my car the way it used to look. That valance hung off my stock bumper just like 911 Rudy's does. Identical.
=========================================
Also, these photos would be great. (I could not find any info on 911rudy when I searched yesterday). This way I could see how it fitted on the car installed.

Thanks,
Fred
Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Rudy is active on Rennlist at present.

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: