Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

start up smoke

Does anyone's 930 give some blue smoke on start-up (cold). Once warm, smoke goes away.
Is this normal, or indicative of a turbo seal going?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurhip View Post
Does anyone's 930 give some blue smoke on start-up (cold). Once warm, smoke goes away.
Is this normal, or indicative of a turbo seal going?

Thanks
Can you qunatify "give some blue smoke on start-up".

How much smoke?

How long does it smoke?

Does it do it everytime it starts cold?

Does it ever do it on a warm motor start?

Was the engine recently worked on, and it started smoking?

My experience with Turbo seals are that they smoke like you are fogging for mosquitos if they are worn out!

Valve Guides and seals can smoke. Guides if they get bad enough will also do it on acceleration.

Boxer motors can do this a little anyhow sometimes.

I do no Turbo "Cool Down" on mine because I have been off boost at low RPM for some time by the time I get to my Garage. If you are doing this turbo cool down BS it may be causing your issue.

You may try this as your new shutdown procedure:

When you are parked, bring engine RPM's up to about 2000-2200 or so for about 5 seconds, and shut down the engine while it is at this rpm.

The idea behind this is that the scavenger pump is not efficient at idle and may allow the Turbo oil accumulator to fill with oil and cause a small pressure induced seepage across the turbo sealing rings. You burn this seepage on the next start.

Give it a try and let us now. Also let us know what you mean by a little smoke on start-up.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-22-2008, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Mine smokes a little on start up . I was told by 2 Porsche mechanics that a little is normal.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just wondering I a car i am thinking of purchasing. Not really sure abut all the specifics. I may have to talk to the seller a little more.
Supposedly there is no smoke on acceleration and deceleration, so this may be a non-issue.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just wondering ON A car....

I really need to proof read before hitting submit.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Bring the car to a good Porsche shop and have checked out ,Shouldnt be a problem out in Cally.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20cooled7 View Post
Bring the car to a good Porsche shop and have checked out ,Shouldnt be a problem out in Cally.
Amen, have it looked over well with compression and leakdown test.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Normal and not uncommon. But to prevent being flammed, do a PPI even though I never have. Lucky I guess. The big thing to watch for is blue smoke on decceleration.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mine does this also. Has a new K27 and the motor was rebuilt 20,000km ago.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey guys (and maybe girls). Thanks.
My wife and I have been looking for a car for a while. This one seems really nice and I am willing to pay for the excellent condition. Obviously I will invest in a PPI and my own inspection.

I am not scared of turbo repairs, as my job, rotating equipment engineer, allows me to rebuild and have access to balancing equipment (when needed). But, I would prefer to get a car we can enjoy for a while before we need to put additional $ into it.

Hopefully all works out and my 914 will have an over powered, absurd cell mate. I really want this car for life. We plan on keeping it pristine, but we will drive it. I do not believe in showroom collector cars of any mark.

Once again thanks. If there are any more comments, I would appreciate them.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The 911 engine can smoke and is normal when you start from cold but it shouldn't last long at all, less than 5 secs. Longer than that and there is a problem of some sort. Could be engine or turbo.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
The 911 engine can smoke and is normal when you start from cold but it shouldn't last long at all, less than 5 secs. Longer than that and there is a problem of some sort. Could be engine or turbo.
I would say 5 secs is long, certainly no longer than that. They usually make a "puff" of blue smoke when they start.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I don't know about 5 sec being long but I wouldn't expect it much more, if any more, then that. Here's my car cold. When I say that it was rolled out in the driveway after sitting for a couple of days. This is for sure normal, but I wouldn't expect it happening much longer then that or I'd be looking for answers...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ao4AOgHTIQs
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Actually, I think Les is right, I was being too generous. Maybe 3 secs is more realistic.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 03-24-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
I don't know about 5 sec being long but I wouldn't expect it much more, if any more, then that. Here's my car cold. When I say that it was rolled out in the driveway after sitting for a couple of days. This is for sure normal, but I wouldn't expect it happening much longer then that or I'd be looking for answers...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ao4AOgHTIQs

I think your Video captures a normal "puff" perfectly.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: