Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
3 restos WIP = psycho

I personally dislike restrictors...why would you want less oil on the cams? Turbos run hot and oil cools. Yes, idle pressure is lower with big fittings, but does it really hurt more than the pounding the cams get? I think not.

One suggestion that has been made is to ream the small fittings to split the difference between old and new style. Seems fair.

As far as oil blow through on the turbo, my guess is some older turbos can't take higher pressure. The Mitsu Evos actually have restrictors in the turbo oil line to ensure they don't get over oiled. One has to wonder if in addition to a cam restrictor if one wasn't also added to the turbo on 965s or if the turbo was altered to accomodate the higher pressure...

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Dear Freinds

This is a good discussion on oil pressure. Where are the restrictors? There has been talk of oil restrictors to the cam spray bars and also oil restrictors to the turbos to reduce foging.

Keith

92 964 Coupe
99 Volvo xc70
02 BMW 330xi
Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

I have 130k miles on my 965 making 387/425rw on a single ball-bearing non-water cooled 60-1 turbocharger, using a .050 restrictor at the inlet of the turbocharger: no issues. Mobil 1 15/50, daily driver. When installing the turbo in '01, we tried open and the turbo smoked, so Innovative stated to use a modified NOS .050 jet. works fine!
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

We have all heard the usual pro- con debates on the restrictors, The purpose of these restrictors is to reduce the trace amounts of oil in the exhaust port area thus extending catalyst life, As manufacturers gained more experience from using catalytic converters during the eighties it was found that some of the compounds used in our oils were shortening the projected service life of these units, (As you know warranty in emission control devices goes well past the standard warranty), In addition to the changes we have seen in our oils , Engine designers began using strategies such as these restrictors to address this issue, My advise is to remove them , during many engine rebuilds we have seen more pronounced wear patterns in relevant areas on engines equiped with the restrictors,
Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: