Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

headlight question

I've got an 89 Ruf slantnose. The headlight illumination is horrible-original lamps. What is the best way to upgrade? Thanks, Mike
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

With a slant, you'll probably have DOT-approved 5.75" sealed beam units.

Two steps:

1) Ditch them, and use E-code Cibie or Hella reflectors that take H4 bulbs. You won't believe the difference. Especially if your sealed beams are old and they've been depositing inside the glass...

2) Build your own wiring harness (using heavy-gauge wire), feeding the lamps directly from the battery via relays. (Better yet would be the alternator, but it's in the wrong end of the car on a 911...)

This will minimise voltage drop to the bulbs, and stop putting significant current through the headlamp switch and the steering column stalk. Both of these are a Very Good Thing.

As a bonus, you can run non-street legal higher output bulbs without melting everything in the stock loom. You won't need to.

My 944 had the DOT sealed beam units. Sometimes, if it were raining, I'd think the headlamps weren't on. Here's the difference in light output on a 944 with the above modifications (and running the lights directly off the alternator with a tweaked voltage regulator):

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=134230

IceShark (RIP) no longer makes the harnesses, but you can buy the parts you need from Daniel Stern: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Last edited by spuggy; 03-23-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Fixed the Rennlist URL.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

89 Ruf Slant? Stop teasing us, and show some photos! I bet that is a beautiful car, any plans on selling it?

P.S. sorry I dont have an answer to your headlight question. Havent crossed that bridge yet, but it is in the future.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks spuggy! I'll let you know how it turns out.
John A. No plans on selling. It is a fun drive.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very tidy looking car indeed!

Man, those front tires look really, really, stretched! What, you running the Ruf-recommended sizes?

(I know they recommend 205's up front on the SC/Carrera Ruf Classics (which are 8J's), and I'm running 225's on 7.5J's right now)

What's the pros and cons of tires that stretched?

I'm asking because my Ruf Classics should be in a box on their way to me on Monday (courtesy anoother Pelican), and tire sizes is something I'll be selecting shortly...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

All I can say is WOW! I do have to say, that is a perfect 930. Not only is it an 89 slant, it is also a Ruf. I will be in the market for another P-car in the next couple years. Let me know when you get bored...
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: