Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

87 930 Shock Replacement

I just took out the strut out and put it back in after i replaced the ball joint. I noticed that passenger side is very low and there were some reddish fluid. I think i lost my shock. Could taking the strut assembly out and put it back in a reason to ruin it. Anyone replaced their shocks? Pictures are appreciated. Thanks!

MJ
Houston, TX
Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I sincerely don't think that removing and re-installing your strut made the unit leak. Barring of course a strenuous uninstall process with lots of twisting and jarring!! A simple removal and re-installation is not 'stressful' for the shock.

I don't have pictures for you, sorry, but I'm sure there are tons here on this site.

I replaced mine when I bought the car.. more to baseline the car as I didn't have all the service records. I also did it for ****s and giggles as I absolutely love to work on my car. It's a simple process really if you are reasonable handy with a wrench.

I think I paid something like $450 for a set of four shocks (two inserts for the front, and shock towers for the rear). I put in the sports all around while I was at it.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Didn't they used to pour some oil in the strut to transfer heat? Could that be your source of red oil?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Didn't they used to pour some oil in the strut to transfer heat? Could that be your source of red oil?
Yes! common practice. Oil or antifreeze is sometimes used.

Doug
Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hello,
Seems the thread is almost done and I have a shock question. What is the difference between Bilstein HD struts and Sport struts.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hello,
Seems the thread is almost done and I have a shock question. What is the difference between Bilstein HD struts and Sport struts.

Les
Les,
in a word, valving. The latter has stronger damping characteristics. Mass, spring rates and damping all must work together to have an appropriately tuned suspension.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: